OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:16:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On the Incarnation of the Word editions  (Read 506 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: October 03, 2011, 09:03:26 PM »

I can't read long things on the computer. So I want to buy a physical copy of St. Athanasius' work.

Any advice as to which edition I should get?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:11:14 PM »

St Vladimirs prints an excellent version. I read a copy that I checked out from my parish library. Well worth it. It also has a commentary on the Psalms written by St Athanasius. I found it very easy to read and enlightening.

http://www.svspress.com/product_info.php?products_id=189

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:34:36 PM »

To me this is a no-brainer. Get this book: http://www.amazon.com/Christology-Fathers-Library-Christian-Classics/dp/0664241522

It includes On the Incarnation as well as theological writings of Sts. Gregory the Theologian and Gregory of Nyssa. It also has a whole bunch of documents from various ecumenical councils in the appendix.  
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:34:51 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:36:24 PM »

Sorry Iconodule but the version with CS Lewis introduction is best, heck just the intro is worth the price itself:"

http://www.amazon.com/Incarnation-Incarnatione-Verbi-Popular-Patristics/dp/0913836400

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:51:46 PM »

Eh? Lewis' intro is basically a long way of saying, "we should read more old books." Just get on with reading the old books. And why get one old book when you can get a whole bunch in one volume? Christology of the Later Fathers is the better volume. The background material for each section is much more useful than Lewis' intro.

Lewis' introduction can be read online anyway: http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/history/ath-inc.htm
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:52:47 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 10:54:21 PM »

The Greek edition by St. Athanasius is the best one  Wink

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:54:50 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 04:46:40 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll probably end up going with Iconodule's suggestion.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: