OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 12:51:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For those interested: All-night Vigil in Akron on Oct 28-29  (Read 425 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: October 03, 2011, 08:01:30 PM »

Our parish will be celebrating belatedly the feast of the Holy Protection of the Theotokos (celebrated on Oct 1 usually, and on Oct 28 in the tradition of the Church of Greece) with an all-night Vigil beginning at 9pm on Friday, October 28 and ending by 8am at the latest on Saturday, October 29.  If anyone's in driving distance of Akron and would like to come, PM me for more details (address, etc.).

The schedule (tentative):

Great Vespers with Liti and Artoclasia (blessing of loaves)
Small Paraklesis to the Theotokos
Small Compline with the Akathist Hymn
Midnight Office
Orthros/Matins
Divine Liturgy

The services will be chanted in English (maybe a few Greek-language petitions, but only if there are people who only speak Greek in attendance).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:06:11 PM »

Oh, I wish I lived in your neck of the woods.

I have never been to an All-Night Vigil, just the so-called All Night Vigils in the OCA that start at 5:30 and end somewhere around 8:00 PM or earlier.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:10:31 PM »

Ditto.

I'd love to be able to go to an All-Night Vigil. The closest I've ever come was attending Great Vespers.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:19:24 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:18:45 PM »

Our parish will be celebrating belatedly the feast of the Holy Protection of the Theotokos (celebrated on Oct 1 usually, and on Oct 28 in the tradition of the Church of Greece) with an all-night Vigil beginning at 9pm on Friday, October 28 and ending by 8am at the latest on Saturday, October 29.  If anyone's in driving distance of Akron and would like to come, PM me for more details (address, etc.).

Midnight Office
Orthros/Matins
Divine Liturgy

The services will be chanted in English (maybe a few Greek-language petitions, but only if there are people who only speak Greek in attendance).

Will there be mass media there, or maybe coverage by your website?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 08:20:10 PM »

Midnight Office
Orthros/Matins
Divine Liturgy

Would the GOARCH website be covering this?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:03:21 PM »

We will do a media blitz; and by that, I mean we will broadcast it live online through vBroadcast on Facebook.

Would the GOARCH website be covering this? 

They're from NY - they may not even know where Akron is.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 10:59:51 PM »

Ditto.

I'd love to be able to go to an All-Night Vigil. The closest I've ever come was attending Great Vespers.

Triple Like! Here in the KC area, we have 2 Serb, 2 Greek, 1 OCA, and 1 misson church, which I believe is Russian,  unfortunately, non of them have any mention of this if they are planning on doing this on their websites. The closest might be Wichita's OCA Cathedral, but haven't checked their website in long while.If i am able to at last minute do a road trip-would love to go!
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 12:00:44 AM »

Us Russian tradition folk love the All Night Vigil service, but it's really hard to do a true ALL NIGHT Vigil. However, I know there are several OCA parishes that do one at least annually. Some of us have been trying to get our priest to do one.

I'm glad to see your parish doing one, Fr. George! Akron is a bit too far for me to make it, but I'm definitely cheering you all on from the sidelines. Grin

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: