OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:02:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amanda Knox cleared of murder  (Read 372 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:45:44 PM »

Earlier today in Perugia, Italy, the convictions of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito in the murder case of U.K. student Meredith Kircher were overturned. The case evoked strong reactions from the public, and was heavily covered in the media in many countries.

From the article:
Speaking outside the courtroom, Miss Knox's lawyer, Carlo Della Vedova, said there was "no winner" in the case and the appeal court had "rectified a mistake".

"Meredith was a friend of Amanda - we should never forget this and we have to respect the sorrow of all the families," he told the BBC.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:27:07 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/03/world/europe/italy-knox-appeal/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Perugia, Italy (CNN) -- In a ruling read to a tension-filled courtroom, an Italian jury on Monday cleared Amanda Knox of murder and other charges, nearly four years after she was arrested on suspicion of having killed her roommate in this picturesque Italian university town.

There was an audible gasp in the courtroom as the verdict was read, then an eruption of emotion, prompting the judge to call for silence. Knox herself was nearly hysterical, according to CNN's Matthew Chance, and had to be assisted out of the courtroom by two people.

The jury evidently believed Knox's impassioned final statement to the court, delivered in a voice trembling with emotion.

"I am not what they say I am -- perverse, violent. ... I haven't murdered. I haven't raped. I haven't stolen," Knox said in the most important speech of her life. Her co-defendant, Raffaele Sollecito, was also cleared of involvement in the 2007 death of Meredith Kercher, a British exchange student and Knox's roommate in Perugia.

I'm personally glad that she's out. In my opinion (even if you were convicted of a crime), if you spend a lot of time fighting a charge and openly defending yourself in a situation like this, you may get a shot of innocence. Unfortunately, the justice system in Italy (guilty until proven innocent) and the court of popular opinion keeps hindering it. What say ye?

- GTA

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/03/world/europe/italy-knox-appeal/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Perugia, Italy (CNN) -- In a ruling read to a tension-filled courtroom, an Italian jury on Monday cleared Amanda Knox of murder and other charges, nearly four years after she was arrested on suspicion of having killed her roommate in this picturesque Italian university town.

There was an audible gasp in the courtroom as the verdict was read, then an eruption of emotion, prompting the judge to call for silence. Knox herself was nearly hysterical, according to CNN's Matthew Chance, and had to be assisted out of the courtroom by two people.

The jury evidently believed Knox's impassioned final statement to the court, delivered in a voice trembling with emotion.

"I am not what they say I am -- perverse, violent. ... I haven't murdered. I haven't raped. I haven't stolen," Knox said in the most important speech of her life. Her co-defendant, Raffaele Sollecito, was also cleared of involvement in the 2007 death of Meredith Kercher, a British exchange student and Knox's roommate in Perugia.

I'm personally glad that she's out. In my opinion (even if you were convicted of a crime), if you spend a lot of time fighting a charge and openly defending yourself in a situation like this, you may get a shot of innocence. Unfortunately, the justice system in Italy (guilty until proven innocent) and the court of popular opinion keeps hindering it. What say ye?

- GTA
I think one of the keys to this acquittal was that the DNA evidence that was used in a lower court to convict her was thrown out as substandard.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:13:17 PM »

I can say that the media made it out that italian legal jurisprudence is akin to a kangaroo court.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 01:35:42 PM »

I can say that the media made it out that italian legal jurisprudence is akin to a kangaroo court.

PP

It's easy to get a poor impression of Italian justice just by reading about Berlusconi's legal issues. But maybe one of the issues that Americans don't understand is that in continental civil law traditions, judges are not impartial, but rather part of their office is to prosecute criminals. A judge that to an American or Englishman would look grotesquely biased is just doing his job. Is this maybe what was going on in the media presentation?
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 01:56:57 PM »

PP

It's easy to get a poor impression of Italian justice just by reading about Berlusconi's legal issues. But maybe one of the issues that Americans don't understand is that in continental civil law traditions, judges are not impartial, but rather part of their office is to prosecute criminals. A judge that to an American or Englishman would look grotesquely biased is just doing his job. Is this maybe what was going on in the media presentation?

More than likely. I was listening to a talking head say that in italy, 3rd hand heresay is admissable. So is character assassination. Is that true?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »

I find different justice systems very interesting. I need to some more reading on them.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 08:04:02 PM »

Looking up for her I guess...
Tags: Italy Amanda Knox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: