OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 05:58:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boy (11 yrs) in sex change. Lesbian parents fix his 'confusion'.  (Read 2145 times) Average Rating: 0
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« on: October 02, 2011, 03:17:32 PM »

The little boy who started a sex change aged eight because he (and his lesbian parents) knew he always wanted to be a girl.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2043345/The-California-boy-11-undergoing-hormone-blocking-treatment.html
The lesbian parents of an 11-year-old boy who is undergoing the process of becoming a girl last night defended the decision, claiming it was better for a child to have a sex change when young.

Thomas Lobel, who now calls himself Tammy, is undergoing controversial hormone blocking treatment in Berkeley, California to stop him going through puberty as a boy.

But Pauline Moreno and Debra Lobel warn that children with gender identity disorder forced to postpone transitioning could face a higher risk of suicide.

Sigh...

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:18:28 PM by Aindriú » Logged

I'm going to need this.
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »

But at least (s)he as two parents, right? That's the important thing.

Sick, sick, sick.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:19:24 PM by bogdan » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 04:10:51 PM »

But at least (s)he as two parents, right? That's the important thing.

Actually, so say some...
Aristobolus

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 02:38:22 AM »

Lord have mercy!  This is child abuse at its worst.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 02:43:05 AM »

The little boy who started a sex change aged eight because he (and his lesbian parents) knew he always wanted to be a girl.

I think I wanted to be a ninja at age eight.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Pikhristos Aftonf

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Melbourne

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 02:47:18 AM »

OF COURSE, he would want to be a girl, he has two mummies, no male input, wants to conform to the household. thats why the traditional nuclear family model is best, it curbs instances such as these, where people try to justify having a social/ psychological problem through science and reasoning. there are feminine men and masculine women, that does not mean they were born into the wrong body. i actually can't comprehend the way some of these people speak and think  Undecided
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 02:49:15 AM »

^He has an older brother.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 03:00:39 AM »

excuse my o'hasty conclusion :p
i would have said a brother is not exactly the best role model, but then i noticed the large age discrepancy.
anyway i am eager to learn opinions of the matter.
do you believe that its medical and not psychological?

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 03:04:28 AM »

^I'm not privy to the facts as to whether it's medical or psychological. I think it's a shame, either way, for someone to go through this. I do wonder if it's a bit young to make such a decision, but can understand his parent's concerns regarding self harm and suicide.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 03:13:05 AM »

do you believe that its medical and not psychological?

The difference being, in your view?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 03:17:18 AM »

same  as the difference between genetic and social homosexuality. if it is genetic, then they will turn out to be homosexual given the right stimulus. if its socially induced, then they will turn to homosexuality due to societal pushes and pressures.
if transexualism is psychological and societal, i would go on a rant and bash the parents position and anyone who agrees to gender reassignment operations. not that i wouldn't go on that rant anyway Wink
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 10:02:08 AM »

OF COURSE, he would want to be a girl, he has two mummies, no male input, wants to conform to the household. thats why the traditional nuclear family model is best, it curbs instances such as these, where people try to justify having a social/ psychological problem through science and reasoning. there are feminine men and masculine women, that does not mean they were born into the wrong body. i actually can't comprehend the way some of these people speak and think  Undecided

The so-called "nuclear family" was not even a concept until the seventeenth century.  It was not anything like prominent, until the twentieth century.  The real tradition is what is now referred to as an "extended family" with cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.  That is how family is supposed to be - not cut off from one another, not shuttered up four people to a house. 

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »

medically speaking, there are very very few (just a handful in the world) cases where it is really difficult to determine a child's gender because of genetic problems.
most people who change gender (or want to) have emotional problems, and having parents who are disappointed about the child's gender (eg. if they always wanted a girl and got a boy) is a very big factor for most.
but if someone has already changed gender, God accepts them as they are and then goes from there.

i am a woman, but have quite a lot of 'masculine' thought patterns. nearly all of my work colleagues are men, and in big groups, i'm the one who picks up the big spider and puts it out. i love reading maps, i hate shopping (unless it's for food), and quite like cars (useful at work). but i don't wear a shirt and tie and go bodybuilding to look like a man, coz God created me as a woman, and my job is to accept this.
i have some 'female' characteristics as well, eg. i love to talk  Wink
so we need to accept God's will, he does not make mistakes with our gender, where we are born, or other aspects of our life.
wherever we are, God can take us from there, change our lives and fill us with His light.
may He enlighten us all and those around us.
 Smiley
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 11:43:47 AM »

I am entirely shocked that the medical community has not ostracized the doctor that is helping these people along.  Such a process at so young an age simply cannot be physically good no matter how many drugs are pumped (itself a problem, I would think) into this boy's body, let alone psychologically.

I know a few post-op transsexuals and have always felt that what they've done to their body is their business; they were adults when they made their decision to do what they did.  I don't like it and think it's wrong, but, like I said, they were adults and went through the whole psychological process before the physical one.

It does not seem that this boy has the ability to fully understand what is happening, let alone that the medical community is still learning about the process of puberty.  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:44:33 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »

wait, now they'll have to turn him into a lesbian, too.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »

wait, now they'll have to turn him into a lesbian, too.
Don't laugh. A few years ago I taught twin brothers (aged about 10 or 11 at the time) who had two moms because their biological father was undergoing a sex change. Once the father became "Jessica", then she? got a new partner - another woman!

BTW, when they lived with their biological mother and her second husband, the boys were really unhappy and not well adjusted socially. At some point "Jessica" got custody of them and within weeks the boys were normal 11 year old boys. Wish I could explain. They eventually moved out of the school district and I have no idea what has become of them.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 12:21:35 PM »

I can understand a fuss over sex change but his parents being lesbians has nothing to do with this. It's as relevants as blonde hair or addiction to caffeine.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 12:50:34 PM »

I can understand a fuss over sex change but his parents being lesbians has nothing to do with this. It's as relevants as blonde hair or addiction to caffeine.

Bull.

His parents being lesbians sets the 'nurture' stage, as well as promote certain liberal 'values' in his life.

I'm going to need this.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »

...as well as promote certain liberal 'values' in his life.

Correct. It's about liberal values, not sexual orientation.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 12:59:15 PM »

I reject that sexual orientation is genetic. It's due to a combination of societal pressure, personal fetish, and personal choice.

I'm going to need this.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 01:04:25 PM »

I reject that sexual orientation is genetic. It's due to a combination of societal pressure, personal fetish, and personal choice.

Now you lost me. What this has to do with my comment?

Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 01:33:12 PM »

*sigh* Two words: Daily Mail  Roll Eyes
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 02:03:23 PM »

The decision as to whether to engage in sex acts may be a choice, but do you think you wouldn't be heterosexual if you didn't know any better?  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »

Now you lost me. What this has to do with my comment?

Because I don't necessarily separate 'liberal values' from 'sexual orientation'. In that sexual orientation, derived from social nature, will influence values.

In less words, they are in the same boat, to me.

I'm going to need this.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 03:10:15 PM »

The decision as to whether to engage in sex acts may be a choice, but do you think you wouldn't be heterosexual if you didn't know any better?  Huh

Can you rephrase that?

I'm going to need this.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 03:55:28 PM »

Can you rephrase that?

Biro wants to know if you chose to be heterosexual. I would say no.

I dislike the entire language of "sexual orientation," not for the different orientations involved therein, but for the big post-Freudian deal it makes over sexuality in the first place. I think categorizing people by sexuality cheapens them.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »

Can you rephrase that?

I dislike the entire language of "sexual orientation," not for the different orientations involved therein, but for the big post-Freudian deal it makes over sexuality in the first place. I think categorizing people by sexuality cheapens them.

Ah, I see.

Of course not, I'm straight because that's how humans are constructed. Heterosexuality isn't a deviation from the norm. Homosexuality, on the other hand, is.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 04:05:21 PM by Aindriú » Logged

I'm going to need this.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 04:05:28 PM »

Ah, I see.

Of course not, I'm straight because that's how humans are constructed.

Cheesy  Just keep telling yourself that.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 04:06:17 PM »

Ah, I see.

Of course not, I'm straight because that's how humans are constructed.

Cheesy  Just keep telling yourself that.

Shocked

I'm going to need this.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 05:33:01 PM »

Can you rephrase that?

Ah, I see.

Of course not, I'm straight because that's how humans are constructed. Heterosexuality isn't a deviation from the norm. Homosexuality, on the other hand, is.

Okay. It would help matters of discussion if you would condescend to define what it is, exactly, that you are talking about. Hetereo- and homosexuality are not terms in Orthodox vocabulary. From an Orthodox perspective, there is not orientation, but rather actions. Actions are sins. Temptations are not sins if they are not acted upon, but rather rejected or fought against. Thus an "ality" is meaningless when we speak of moral deviance. The norm, from the position of the Orthodox Church, is sobriety, chastity, and purity in all things dealing with sexuality. There is no blessing for anything outside marriage and outside actual sexual intercourse within marriage (and one could add more caveats here of further restrictions, but that can of worms it outside this discussion). A person society unfortunately defines as a "homosexual" may be living a morally upright life, not engaging in sinful activities, fighting temptations with the strength of a martyr. This is not deviance, but abiding by Orthodox ascetic morality and doing so in a way that surpasses many.

There are things, like temptations, which people do not choose. They have them because this is a fallen world. So, it's also irrelevant whether something is genetic or not. Many diseases are genetic. Psychosis is genetic, but only a small percentage of those with the gene for psychosis act out on it in violent, sinful ways. There's no gene that suppresses free will. Each person is given crosses to bear. He is not judged on the crosses he carries (though he may bear some responsibility for creating some of those crosses), but on how he carries them.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2011, 06:12:57 PM »

Can you rephrase that?

Ah, I see.

Okay. It would help matters of discussion if you would condescend to define what it is, exactly, that you are talking about. Hetereo- and homosexuality are not terms in Orthodox vocabulary. From an Orthodox perspective, there is not orientation, but rather actions. Actions are sins. Temptations are not sins if they are not acted upon, but rather rejected or fought against. Thus an "ality" is meaningless when we speak of moral deviance. The norm, from the position of the Orthodox Church, is sobriety, chastity, and purity in all things dealing with sexuality. There is no blessing for anything outside marriage and outside actual sexual intercourse within marriage (and one could add more caveats here of further restrictions, but that can of worms it outside this discussion). A person society unfortunately defines as a "homosexual" may be living a morally upright life, not engaging in sinful activities, fighting temptations with the strength of a martyr. This is not deviance, but abiding by Orthodox ascetic morality and doing so in a way that surpasses many.

There are things, like temptations, which people do not choose. They have them because this is a fallen world. So, it's also irrelevant whether something is genetic or not. Many diseases are genetic. Psychosis is genetic, but only a small percentage of those with the gene for psychosis act out on it in violent, sinful ways. There's no gene that suppresses free will. Each person is given crosses to bear. He is not judged on the crosses he carries (though he may bear some responsibility for creating some of those crosses), but on how he carries them.

I think you mince words too much for this discussion to find slight where there is none.

I'm going to need this.
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »

I think I wanted to be a ninja at age eight.

I wanted to be a baseball player!!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2011, 06:24:38 PM »

Seems to me that if this was a case of "Lesbian pressure" to become a female, then the older brother has escaped the dark influence.  Tongue

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 06:45:22 PM »

Yes.  I had a girl friend when I was a wee little lad who didn't know what the source of the difference was.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2011, 06:54:17 PM »

+1!  This is weird. I would rather have him adopted by heterosexuals.
Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2011, 07:41:48 PM »

The so-called "nuclear family" was not even a concept until the seventeenth century.  It was not anything like prominent, until the twentieth century.  The real tradition is what is now referred to as an "extended family" with cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.  That is how family is supposed to be - not cut off from one another, not shuttered up four people to a house. 
that's not entirely true.... God said, a man leaves his parents and becomes one with his wife. also the extended family model is also great. but it should be a nuclear family consisting of a father, mother and children, which all act within the extended family.they are a special sub-entity of the extended family.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 12:49:26 AM »

Your claims are not justified by history.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
FantaLimon

Inquirer

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 05:45:26 PM »

Lord, have mercy...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »

Lord, have mercy...

Your posts make me thirsty for something citrusy, not sure why...  Cool
FantaLimon

Inquirer

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2011, 06:13:27 PM »

If it is not against the forum rules, I'd like to say that Lemon Fanta is the best Fanta.  

At least in Spain.

Anyway, I do not know if this boy truly feels transexual, if a sex change or hormones would make him "happy", or if this is a good thing for him regardless.  I wish good things for him and his family, especially since they are very probably sinning.  These are big, life-altering decisions being made by his parents.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 06:16:59 PM by FantaLimon » Logged
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2011, 01:20:28 PM »

the traditional nuclear family model
I would doubt that there is such a thing. Historically, people did not live in nuclear family, but in extended families with several generations.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2011, 01:24:51 PM »

OF COURSE, he would want to be a girl, he has two mummies, no male input, wants to conform to the household.

I don't think that every kid in a homosexual or single parent household ends up transsexual.

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2011, 03:04:25 PM »

*sigh* Two words: Daily Mail  Roll Eyes
Poor kid's probably gonna get cancer.  Undecided

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2011, 10:11:35 PM »

OF COURSE, he would want to be a girl, he has two mummies, no male input, wants to conform to the household.

I don't think that every kid in a homosexual or single parent household ends up transsexual.
i agree, but it makes it more likely.
from my understanding, transsexualism is not genetic, so its behavioral. thus its a nurture problem.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2011, 10:15:11 PM »

i agree, but it makes it more likely.
from my understanding, transsexualism is not genetic, so its behavioral. thus its a nurture problem.

It is far from well-settled whether homosexuality and transsexualism are the result of nature or nurture.

... (I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you should be more careful with statements like this) ...

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: