Author Topic: AFR's "The Underground Church"  (Read 307 times)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
AFR's "The Underground Church"
« on: May 21, 2016, 09:05:26 PM »
Just saw [ur=http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/goforth/underground_church_part_1l]this[/url] pop up on social media:

┬ÂMany are noticing that the church is moving underground in America with the wake of persecution which is growing. Adam talks with Fr John Peck, a priest in Arizona who is preparing for the coming underground church in our modern society in some interesting ways. This is part 1 of a 2 part interview.

I have no comments about Fr. John's interview since I haven't listened to it, but the premise alone makes it sound like it comes from that other AFR.

Anyway, has anybody actually noticed the church moving underground in America? Is "underground" some euphamism for "empty spaces in shopping malls?"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 09:07:12 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Inquirer
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: AFR's "The Underground Church"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 11:37:31 PM »
1:55 mark = The host admits that this is a topic that he has only caught glimpses of and is not "openly talked about".

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 01:10:53 AM »
Bring forth outright persecution and there will be an underground Church.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 05:26:50 AM »
They had an similarly-themed interview with Jim Garlow (a Joel's Army guy) a while back.

Predictions of imminent church persecutions in America are nothing new, as this 1800 quote shows:

"Should the infidel Jefferson be elected to the Presidency, the seal of death is that moment set on our holy religion, our churches will be prostrated, and some infamous 'prostitute', under the title of goddess of reason, will preside in the sanctuaries now devoted to the worship of the most High." -New England Palladium
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Inquirer
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 12:09:29 PM »
I listened to the first part of this interview.  Fr. John rambles quite a bit and doesn't talk explicitly about an "underground church" but more generally about the need for Orthodox parishes to do a better job with spiritual formation and the need for a security plan.  The idea of a coming persecution is granted as a fact and something the church has had to deal with on and off.  At times it seems Fr. John is speaking about the United States and at other times more generally which could include the fate of Orthodox in Syria?

I wasn't really that impressed with the episode as it represented a typical Internet echo chamber.

Offline BrotherBoris

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 01:45:02 PM »
They had an similarly-themed interview with Jim Garlow (a Joel's Army guy) a while back.

Predictions of imminent church persecutions in America are nothing new, as this 1800 quote shows:

"Should the infidel Jefferson be elected to the Presidency, the seal of death is that moment set on our holy religion, our churches will be prostrated, and some infamous 'prostitute', under the title of goddess of reason, will preside in the sanctuaries now devoted to the worship of the most High." -New England Palladium

Typical fundagelical hyperbole, even back then!  Amazing how little we have changed. Sounds like the modern day jerimiads of Focus on the Family predicting the end of Christianity in America if a Democrat is elected to the White House.

I find such rhetoric rather tiresome and very unconvincing.