Author Topic: Age of reason/baptism/chrismation/etc....  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Torn apaaaht
  • Faith: Semi-Evangelical
  • Jurisdiction: Might become Orthodox
Re: Age of reason/baptism/chrismation/etc....
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2011, 11:16:27 PM »
About 50 years after Calvin's death, Dutch theologian Jacobus Arminius and followers published a document know as the Remonstrance which attempted to insert a synergistic model of salvation into Calvin's framework. In response, the 1610 Synod of Dort anathematized the Arminians and put forward the five points of Calvinism to correspond to the five points of the Remonstrance.
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2011, 12:25:01 AM »
Much better answer.  Im not really as well read as I wish i was... (or should be....)
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Torn apaaaht
  • Faith: Semi-Evangelical
  • Jurisdiction: Might become Orthodox
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2011, 12:31:54 AM »
Much better answer.  Im not really as well read as I wish i was... (or should be....)
Me neither. I just learn by osmosis.
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman