OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 11:23:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Someone Identify This Icon Of Saint Severus For Me?  (Read 567 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« on: October 01, 2011, 09:19:29 PM »

What does it say? And, more importantly, who are the two men in-between him?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 09:22:10 PM by Severian » Logged

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 09:57:13 PM »

--Bump--

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 03:57:05 AM »

Well we can't see the whole picture so it is difficult to know who the other two figures are.

I visited the site this comes from and wasn't impressed by the blogger, so I am not inclined to email him and ask where he got it from.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Pikhristos Aftonf

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Melbourne

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:13:43 AM »

may i please get the website for the source of the image? i am interested on the writer's argument against St Severus of Antioch.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 08:25:08 AM »

http://thebananarepublican.blogspot.com/2009/08/monophysite-writers.html

He's a student and a very recent convert.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:26:02 AM by peterfarrington » Logged

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 08:29:42 AM »

thank you Smiley
oh my, i at least expected some substance. his quote from St Severus is true Orthodox content, shocking he used it in a negative sense....
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:30:07 AM by Pikhristos Aftonf » Logged
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 08:46:03 AM »

Well we can't see the whole picture so it is difficult to know who the other two figures are.

I visited the site this comes from and wasn't impressed by the blogger, so I am not inclined to email him and ask where he got it from.
I understand. I already refuted the content of his blog about Saint Severus in my head. Honestly, I am tempted to contact this person and correct him.

May our Holy Father St. Severus forgive those who despise him.

Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 08:49:14 AM »

I understand. I already refuted the content of his blog about Saint Severus in my head. Honestly, I am tempted to contact this person and correct him.

May our Holy Father St. Severus forgive those who despise him.
well said Smiley
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 08:49:45 AM »

thank you Smiley
oh my, i at least expected some substance. his quote from St Severus is true Orthodox content, shocking he used it in a negative sense....
I know, he clearly hasn't read much from St. Severus.

For example:

"[Severus] affirmed μία φύσις θεανδρική (one theandric nature) of Christ. This is impossible, because if Christ had a single συνθετος (compound) divine-human φύσις, He would not be consubstantial with the Father and the Holy Spirit, Who subsist only in the divine nature, nor would he be consubstantial with us, because we do not have a divine-human nature."

But St. Severus already refuted this silly argument during his lifetime:

"«If» (they say) «you say that the Trinity is one nature, and say that there is one nature of the incarnate Word, how are you not driven to saying that the whole Trinity became incarnate?» I am surprised at the cunning rusticity of those men, as shown by the way in which they display courage without consideration against the right opinion. We 538 use the name 'nature' sometimes generally of 'essence' 539, and sometimes specifically signifying the hypostasis of a man. We term all mankind one nature, as in the text «Every nature of beasts and of birds and of things that are in the water is subjected and made subject to human nature» 540: and again we call a man 'nature', Paul for instance or Peter or James. Where we name all mankind one nature, we use the name 'nature' generically in place of 'essence': but, where we speak of one nature of Paul, we employ the name 'nature' in place of 'individual hypostasis'. So also, when we say that the Holy Trinity is one nature, as in the text, «In order that we may be sharers of the divine nature» 541, we use the name 'nature' in place of the general |199 designation 'essence' 542. And to say that the Holy Trinity is one nature is the same as to say that it is one Godhead, as we are in fact accustomed to call all mankind one nature. But, when we say 'one incarnate nature of God the Word', we say 'nature' in place of an individual designation, and thereby we denote the one actual hypostasis of the Word, like that of Paul or Peter or any single man. Therefore also, when we say one nature which became incarnate', we do not say so absolutely, but we say 'one nature of the Word himself, and clearly denote that it is one hypostasis."

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/severus_coll_3_letters.htm
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:52:26 AM by Severian » Logged

Tags: St. Severus OO icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: