OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 10:53:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: staying at monastery  (Read 437 times) Average Rating: 0
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« on: October 01, 2011, 08:25:22 PM »

iN THIS VIDEO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG8rzd2kGcc&feature=related about the Cathusians there is a monk fom Mt Athos who, they say,stayed at the Carthusian monastery for one year. What does Orthodoxy say about people doing that?

searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »

I admire the Carthusian Order a great deal.  There is no way I could ever live that kind of life.  God bless them.  I'm not sure what the Church would say in this circumstance.  I could give the black and white answer, but I think we all already know what this is.  Is there a reason why you are asking? 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »

I think it depends on what he did. If he was just there to observe, as opposed to joining the services, I think it would be ok.
jah777
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:46:28 AM »

iN THIS VIDEO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG8rzd2kGcc&feature=related about the Cathusians there is a monk fom Mt Athos who, they say,stayed at the Carthusian monastery for one year. What does Orthodoxy say about people doing that?

I’m sure this is a very rare and extraordinary occurrence.  The video shows this monk who look Orthodox by appearance, and we are told that he is from Mt. Athos and that he wanted to spend a year at the Carthusian monastery.  This is all the information I have, and so we do not know from this video whether he left Mt. Athos with the blessing of his abbot and spiritual father or not.  It states on the video that he was interested in the solitude of the Carthusians, and yet there is certainly solitude to be found on Mt. Athos.  It would be interesting to know more about this story, but I would think most Orthodox would consider it very strange and questionable for an Athonite monk to spend such a period of time in a Carthusian monastery where he cannot receive the Mysteries.   
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 09:59:24 AM »

I’m sure this is a very rare and extraordinary occurrence.  The video shows this monk who look Orthodox by appearance, and we are told that he is from Mt. Athos and that he wanted to spend a year at the Carthusian monastery.  This is all the information I have, and so we do not know from this video whether he left Mt. Athos with the blessing of his abbot and spiritual father or not.  It states on the video that he was interested in the solitude of the Carthusians, and yet there is certainly solitude to be found on Mt. Athos.  It would be interesting to know more about this story, but I would think most Orthodox would consider it very strange and questionable for an Athonite monk to spend such a period of time in a Carthusian monastery where he cannot receive the Mysteries.   

Not to mention praying with heretics. Wink
jah777
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 11:09:14 AM »

Not to mention praying with heretics. Wink

That too of course!

It is hard to imagine any abbot or spiritual father on Mt. Athos giving his blessing for an Athonite monk to visit a non-Orthodox monastery, not to mention living there for a year, particularly if one considers the following letter signed by the representatives of all twenty monasteries on Mt. Athos regarding Pope Benedict’s 2006 visit to Constantinople:

http://orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/kelliotes.aspx
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: