OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 05:37:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christ - still fully human and fully divine  (Read 468 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: September 30, 2011, 08:28:41 PM »

I was wondering if anyone knows of some quotes from the ECF's which speak of Christ retaining his humanity after the ascension, and how this is important to our salvation. Basically, I'm encoutering some people who say Christ was fully human and fully divine, but cast aside his humanity after the ascension for a "glorified body" which is not human.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:29:12 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 08:36:10 PM »

I do not have direct patristic references on hand right now, but I think the logic the Fathers use to explain the humanity of Christ in the ascension is that Christ has seated our human nature at the right hand of the Father. The right hand meaning the glory, dominion, and honor of God, thus Christ's ascension plays a role in our Theosis via the deification of our humanity.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »

When the Word assumes something, it doesn't then unassume it. If Christ's humanity is gone, then ours will be someday as well.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:52:17 PM by Volnutt » Logged
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 09:14:57 PM »

Basically, I'm encoutering some people who say Christ was fully human and fully divine, but cast aside his humanity after the ascension for a "glorified body" which is not human.

I would say, don't even bother with their premise. Christ had his glorified body after the Resurrection (to wit.: the women did not recognize him, and he appeared in rooms in which the doors were closed). And that body was still human, considering he ate food and Thomas touched him.

Unless they think he got an even more glorified body after the ascension, which is a baseless idea.

Like Volnutt said, what he assumed, he kept. A God-Man made of human flesh is seated at the right hand of God.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 09:16:44 PM »

I was wondering if anyone knows of some quotes from the ECF's which speak of Christ retaining his humanity after the ascension, and how this is important to our salvation. Basically, I'm encoutering some people who say Christ was fully human and fully divine, but cast aside his humanity after the ascension for a "glorified body" which is not human.

Weird.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 09:17:46 PM »

Weird.

Hey, you see it all these days! Wink
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: