OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 10:14:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why?  (Read 1716 times) Average Rating: 0
Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Future belongs to God only.

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2011, 04:30:42 PM »

God's all-knowing capacity doesn't influence free-will.

Like a man from the top of the building knows what's after the corner but the one heading that direction doesn't. The man on the street receives a message from the one at the top of the building saying "don't turn at the corner! There's a traffic jam there and a fire!" If he chooses to assert his "freedom" by turning anyway he will be caught in the traffic jam. If he goes straight, he will go through the longer course but will arrive in time and safely.

God created us to go straight, no turns. More than just warn from the top, He came down to show us the way. And for those who were too far to hear Him, He left maps in their hearts. The ways are predetermined and what will happen in case of each choice is as well. And we know what will happen to those who turn. But nobody was created to be stuck in the traffic jam.

Multiple Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 06:24:13 PM »

I always believed that God's "all knowingness" stops by our "Free will". God can't forsee what actions we are going to make.

If God knew what we were going to do then there wouldn't such a thing as love between us and God.
That's open theism, probably a heresy in Orthodoxy.

Why does knowing what we'll do cancel out the love? That's like saying God doesn't love sinners.

Actually it ain't.

Open theism is when God knows the future and there isn't such a thing as free will.

You got the wrong idea about love too

It kinda is. What you describe is determinism.

Practically, open theism makes the case for a personal God who is open to influence through the prayers, decisions, and actions of people. Although many specific outcomes of the future are unknowable, God's foreknowledge of the future includes that which is determined as time progresses often in light of free decisions that have been made and what has been sociologically determined. So God knows everything that has been determined as well as what has not yet been determined but remains open. As such, God is able to anticipate the future, yet remains fluid to respond and react to prayer and decisions made either contrary or advantageous to God's plan or presuppositions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_theism

I've not come across any ancient source that discusses God having an absolute comprehensive fixed view of the future.

But regardless I think Fabio has provided a succint response.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2011, 06:30:40 PM »

For the same reason that He would beget a Son.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2011, 06:38:14 PM »

Open theism is when God knows the future and there isn't such a thing as free will.
No it isn't, Achronos.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant Universalist

Holy Russia vs. Soup

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »

If God is all knowing and all good, then why did He create us? He knew that He would create us, that humanity would fall, and many people would suffer on earth and in the afterlife (hell). Why are we here then? God knew well before He made us that many of us would die and go to hell to suffer eternally. Whats the point then? Why did He make us in the first place when it seems many of us were born to go to hell? I know, we have free will, but since God is all knowing, He knew that many human beings would use their free will and go to hell for it.
I always believed that God's "all knowingness" stops by our "Free will". God can't forsee what actions we are going to make.

If God knew what we were going to do then there wouldn't such a thing as love between us and God.

Why does knowing what we'll do cancel out the love? That's like saying God doesn't love sinners.

Actually it ain't.

http://www.theopedia.com/Open_theism

No, open theists believe free will is impossible if God knows what we will choose, hence book titles like The God who Risks.

And how do I have the wrong idea about love?

Herr Jesus Christus, Sohns Gottes, erbarme dich meiner, eines Suenders.
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

Holy Russia vs. Soup

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2011, 09:20:45 PM »

God is creative, that's why he created, because he can't not create, it's who he is, it's what love does - overflows and touches others - it wasn't from a lack of love. God is complete ergo love is complete, whole and perfect.

I think of my friend, who will not communicate with me. I love her so much, i don't know what i've done wrong and if i did, i'd put it right immediately because i love her. I hate not being able to chat with her, my whole history is scattered with fun times that include her. Dancing, movies, girl chat, hugs etc. and as much as i hurt because she won't even tell me what's wrong <and it does hurt so much> imagine how much more God loves even those of us who continue to do our own thing. Or those who reject him completely and are too damaged to change without significant divine intervention. It's life Andrew, as bad as it can be sometimes, i'd rather get through the bad bits because the good bits are so, so good.

Same with God probably.
That's a good explanation. I hope your friend comes around someday.  Sad
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:22:23 PM by Volnutt » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2011, 10:50:40 PM »

No it isn't, Achronos.
You're right, I got it mixed up with classical theism. My apologies.

If God is all knowing and all good, then why did He create us? He knew that He would create us, that humanity would fall, and many people would suffer on earth and in the afterlife (hell). Why are we here then? God knew well before He made us that many of us would die and go to hell to suffer eternally. Whats the point then? Why did He make us in the first place when it seems many of us were born to go to hell? I know, we have free will, but since God is all knowing, He knew that many human beings would use their free will and go to hell for it.

Actually it ain't.

No, open theists believe free will is impossible if God knows what we will choose, hence book titles like The God who Risks.

Sorry I got it mixed up, please disregard my drivel.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

Holy Russia vs. Soup

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2011, 11:23:47 PM »

No it isn't, Achronos.
You're right, I got it mixed up with classical theism. My apologies.

Actually it ain't.

Sorry I got it mixed up, please disregard my drivel.
S'ok. Happens to me all the time Smiley

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2011, 11:50:29 AM »

S'ok

End of the World flash

I'm going to need this.
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

Holy Russia vs. Soup

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »

Weeee'l meet agaaaaain. Don't know where, don't know wheeeeen!

myrrhbear

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Trust in God

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2011, 06:16:10 PM »

What kind of love would that be for God to have for us, if he created us all as robots who would automatically love and choose Him? Maybe the OP is assuming too much about what hell is/might really be?

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2011, 07:38:40 PM »

I believe Our Lord put us in a physical world because that is the way we could experience life. (This life, that is.) We are therefore subject to things in the physical world, from the forces of nature to the actions of others. Some people make terrible choices, such as striking out against others. The Lord does not want this to happen; people choose to sin. He lets us continue to live so that we can have a chance to try not to sin, to fight temptation, to repent and freely participate in his love. I'm sorry if that sounds simple. This is how I see it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:39:44 PM by biro » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2011, 09:15:01 PM »

So He could love us.

Is it love that He would create people He knew would end up going to hell anyway?

I don't think Odoxy teaches this. I think everyone has a chance when they're born to be saved. Even though there will be an eventual outcome, we do not think it is pre-determined...if that makes any sense.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: