Author Topic: New almost reluctant Catechumen  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Saffron

New almost reluctant Catechumen
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »
So, this is my first post. My husband, who converted over a year ago made me promise to get an account before he left on deployment. I did - three days before  :-\ It has taken me this long (3 months) to long in and post and almost a year to make the first step. I think I finally gave up on arguing about little things and whether or not Orthodoxy was so unbearably different that being "non denominational mega rock church-ish" (as my hubby calls it). I went through a period of not believing in anything but when a older, well respected woman in our church told me that those ideas, fears, and angers were fine and that each year I would shed a few more scales (her reference was St. George and the dragon haha). That is what is was to be Orthodox...and to get my butt up there and do it! Soooo here I am.

I still have questions about etiquette particularly of the feminine kind ie. children, other moms, head coverings. I also would like to know more about praying and teaching my child to pray. Are there simpler sources than the classic prayer book (I am dyslexic and my child has the attention span of an...oh look a butterfly) I also wonder how to add more icons to our home and if I could have "laminated" versions my child could take with her to the grandparents (who are not religious) so the icons wouldn't be damaged.

Thanks for any help. Also, to my hubby and BIL....be nice!! :-[ 
"Everybody wants to change the world, but nobody thinks about changing himself."

—Dostoevsky

Offline TheodoraElizabeth3

• Elder
Re: New almost reluctant Catechumen
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »
Welcome!

How old is the kidlet?

You can get little laminated icons various places, such as here: http://www.comeandseeicons.com/ Also, if you have any of the wallet-photo sized paper icons, you can make an album of them. I've seen people do this for their kids. Take a cheapo 4"x6" photo album. Insert the paper icons and tape the open side of the photo page closed, so the icons don't fall out if the book is flipped upside down.

There are children's prayer books.

As for your prayer rule, talk to your priest. Parents with small children usually get "a pass" and can say fewer prayers. Try the Trisagion Prayers with a few short prayers morning and evening, and see how that works. If your daughter is say 3 and up, you can begin teaching her the Trisagion prayers as they are simple. Same with something like the 23rd Psalm. Pick a translation, print it on an index card, laminate it, and work on memorizing.

As for headcoverings, see what women in your parish do. If some cover, talk to them. Each parish has its own customs and many women have to reach a certain point within themselves before they're ready to cover.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:08:56 PM by TheodoraElizabeth3 »

Offline Ionnis

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:09:48 PM »
Welcome!  Wish I had some advice for you but I don't have a family and I'm a man.  I'm sure you'll find plenty of parents and other women here who can help you out!  :)
"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »
Welcome to OC.net and to the world of Orthodoxy.

Yes, you can purchase laminated paper icons. Some are even 2 x 3.5 inches (or approximately that size), which are great for traveling, and can be slipped into a prayer book.

I have cut icon pictures out of brochures and laminated them for that purpose.

Re: Praying

Start simple by saying the Lordś Prayer just before meals. You can say some simple prayers upon rising and retiring in the evening.
Prayers of mutual forgiveness are great as it teaches children not to go to bed angry.

Re: Coloring Books

You can obtain Orthodox Christian coloring books suitable for taking to the Divine Liturgy. I have seen many children coloring these pictures of priests and scenes from the Divine Liturgy during the Divine Liturgy. Colored pencils and crayons work best as markers bleed through the pages. Children will often be heard singing parts of the Divine Liturgy while coloring. Those are precious moments. Our church bookstore stocks these Orthodox Christian coloring books.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:20:08 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 10:30:30 PM »
Welcome, Saffron. I see you list Antiochian as your jurisdiction.

This page is full of resources that you will likely find helpful.

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 10:37:47 PM »
So, this is my first post. My husband, who converted over a year ago made me promise to get an account before he left on deployment. I did - three days before  :-\ It has taken me this long (3 months) to long in and post and almost a year to make the first step. I think I finally gave up on arguing about little things and whether or not Orthodoxy was so unbearably different that being "non denominational mega rock church-ish" (as my hubby calls it). I went through a period of not believing in anything but when a older, well respected woman in our church told me that those ideas, fears, and angers were fine and that each year I would shed a few more scales (her reference was St. George and the dragon haha). That is what is was to be Orthodox...and to get my butt up there and do it! Soooo here I am.

I still have questions about etiquette particularly of the feminine kind ie. children, other moms, head coverings. I also would like to know more about praying and teaching my child to pray. Are there simpler sources than the classic prayer book (I am dyslexic and my child has the attention span of an...oh look a butterfly) I also wonder how to add more icons to our home and if I could have "laminated" versions my child could take with her to the grandparents (who are not religious) so the icons wouldn't be damaged.

If you're who I think you are and your BiL is who I think he is, I'm sure he's a very kind intelligent and knowledgeable individual (and quite handsome as well).

Welcome to the board. You, your little one, and your husband are always in my prayers.

PS Edit: there's nothing wrong with a laminate icon for travel/little bit purposes. You can either print up a thumbnail from online or get one from one of the many webstores like archangelsbooks.com or skete.com

PPS the Trisagion prayers TheodoraElizabet3 mentions are the "Holy God, Holy...." ones that start out the beginning of most prayer rules. The terminology gets easier after a while. The Morning Prayers and Evening Prayers here should be a good, short prayer look for people with short attenti- ooh bug.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:45:44 PM by FormerReformer »
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline sainthieu

• Abstractor of the Quintessence
  • High Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 11:34:01 PM »
Dear Saffron:

Welcome! My prayers to your husband for his honor. And to you both for your courage.

I would say don't force anything, take your time. The Orthodox Church has been around since 33 AD; it's not going anywhere. Many devout Christians frequently doubt; so you're in good company there. Please don't put pressure on yourself. A Church should be joined out of love, not from any feeling of obligation. There is much truth and beauty in the Orthodox Church; take your time exploring it.

And don't sweat the headscarf. Wear one only when you feel that it is the right thing for you to do---regardless of whether or not anyone else wears one. Many "cradle" Orthodox don't wear them, and it is perfectly fine. It doesn't make your faith any more or less sincere.

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 12:06:45 AM »
So, this is my first post. My husband, who converted over a year ago made me promise to get an account before he left on deployment. I did - three days before  :-\ It has taken me this long (3 months) to long in and post and almost a year to make the first step. I think I finally gave up on arguing about little things and whether or not Orthodoxy was so unbearably different that being "non denominational mega rock church-ish" (as my hubby calls it). I went through a period of not believing in anything but when a older, well respected woman in our church told me that those ideas, fears, and angers were fine and that each year I would shed a few more scales (her reference was St. George and the dragon haha). That is what is was to be Orthodox...and to get my butt up there and do it! Soooo here I am.

If you're who I think you are and your BiL is who I think he is, I'm sure he's a very kind intelligent and knowledgeable individual (and quite handsome as well).

Welcome to the board. You, your little one, and your husband are always in my prayers.

PS Edit: there's nothing wrong with a laminate icon for travel/little bit purposes. You can either print up a thumbnail from online or get one from one of the many webstores like archangelsbooks.com or skete.com

PPS the Trisagion prayers TheodoraElizabet3 mentions are the "Holy God, Holy...." ones that start out the beginning of most prayer rules. The terminology gets easier after a while. The Morning Prayers and Evening Prayers here should be a good, short prayer look for people with short attenti- ooh bug.

I know a young lady in our parish who took the morning & evening prayers (above) and laminated them for her kids & made them into place mats for the dinner table.  That way before the food gets put down on it, they make sure to pray.  I thought that was a very cute & very appropriate idea. 

God Bless & many prayers for your journey. 

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 12:15:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 02:14:40 AM »

I know a young lady in our parish who took the morning & evening prayers (above) and laminated them for her kids & made them into place mats for the dinner table.  That way before the food gets put down on it, they make sure to pray.  I thought that was a very cute & very appropriate idea.  

God Bless & many prayers for your journey.  

Good idea.

Another idea. Have the children copy the prayers before meals and then embellish them with their drawings. Then those handmade placemats can be laminated.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 02:16:31 AM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline dcommini

• Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
  • OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
    • Life of an Orthodox Soldier
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 10:44:01 AM »
So, this is my first post. My husband, who converted over a year ago made me promise to get an account before he left on deployment. I did - three days before  :-\ It has taken me this long (3 months) to long in and post and almost a year to make the first step. I think I finally gave up on arguing about little things and whether or not Orthodoxy was so unbearably different that being "non denominational mega rock church-ish" (as my hubby calls it). I went through a period of not believing in anything but when a older, well respected woman in our church told me that those ideas, fears, and angers were fine and that each year I would shed a few more scales (her reference was St. George and the dragon haha). That is what is was to be Orthodox...and to get my butt up there and do it! Soooo here I am.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure that your husband and BIL are very nice people.

I was talking to my priest once about obtaining icons and he told me that some people will print off certain ones and have them laminated and blessed, in fact he pointed to one he had in his office and told me that his daughters had printed it off and laminated it for him as a gift.

I think it is a great idea to have laminated icons for the little bit running around, and I'm sure your husband would like some as well since he is deployed and probably wouldn't want regular paint and wood icons to be destroyed.

I'll be praying for you and yours as this time can be very nerve wrecking.
OblSB

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 12:47:49 PM »
Hello and welcome.   :angel:  The learning process is different for everyone. I'm sure you'll be all right.  :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »
There is also an Orthodox military Bible available, with prayers. It's pocket-sized with a camo cover.
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline Saffron

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 04:47:47 AM »

If I am who you think I am then I am pretty awesome even though I am just now getting back on here. I will allow the above statement about my BIL to stand... :police: As always thank you for your prayers.

My daughter's Godmother and I will be starting a collection, with the help of some ladies a church, of Laminated icons for the husband figure.

And for now the little bit is obsessed with kissing EVERY icon in church and making her "cirss-cross hear" swirlie and is learning the Lord's Prayer and the hymns soooo *good parent points* I also enjoy our borrowed prayer book for her on my own personal level because of its simplicity. Quantum Physics, the intricacies of EO equipment on and F18 is cool, praying starts getting complicated. We are making progress though :)

Since our daughter has surpassed us in piety when venerating the icons and for other reasons a well respected woman of our church gave me some small head scarfs for church. Hopefully my child won't steal them.

To everyone else who welcomed me and gave advice: Thank you!!
"Everybody wants to change the world, but nobody thinks about changing himself."

—Dostoevsky

Offline dcommini

• OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 05:02:12 AM »

If I am who you think I am then I am pretty awesome even though I am just now getting back on here. I will allow the above statement about my BIL to stand... :police: As always thank you for your prayers.

Humble much?  :P

My daughter's Godmother and I will be starting a collection, with the help of some ladies a church, of Laminated icons for the husband figure.

I'm sure your husband will appreciate that immensely, just be sure not to send him like 3 packages that will get to him a day before he is supposed to leave that area...

And for now the little bit is obsessed with kissing EVERY icon in church and making her "cirss-cross hear" swirlie and is learning the Lord's Prayer and the hymns soooo *good parent points* I also enjoy our borrowed prayer book for her on my own personal level because of its simplicity. Quantum Physics, the intricacies of EO equipment on and F18 is cool, praying starts getting complicated. We are making progress though :)

Since our daughter has surpassed us in piety when venerating the icons and for other reasons a well respected woman of our church gave me some small head scarfs for church. Hopefully my child won't steal them.

To everyone else who welcomed me and gave advice: Thank you!!

That is so sweet! Having a little experience with kids I can say that your daughter will most likely start stealing your head scarves once she sees you wearing them.  :laugh:

Any way, it seems that you have a great group of people to support you. I hope you stay blessed and true in your journey to Orthodoxy.
OblSB

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...

Offline Saffron

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 05:07:44 AM »

I'm sure your husband will appreciate that immensely, just be sure not to send him like 3 packages that will get to him a day before he is supposed to leave that area...

Will do. He likes it that way....but sometimes he gets his panties in a wad. Maybe he should hold his M16 for comfort.

—Dostoevsky

Offline dcommini

• OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 05:17:38 AM »

Will do. He likes it that way....but sometimes he gets his panties in a wad. Maybe he should hold his M16 for comfort.

Have you ever tried holding an M16 for comfort? I tell you it can not be done! But I have a stuffed frog my wife sent me last deployment, maybe you husband has a similar thing for him to cuddle with on lonely nights?
OblSB

Check out my blog...

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 06:27:58 PM »

And for now the little bit is obsessed with kissing EVERY icon in church and making her "cirss-cross hear" swirlie...

That sounds adorable! Post pics!

That would be adorable as well.

Have you ever tried holding an M16 for comfort? I tell you it can not be done! But I have a stuffed frog my wife sent me last deployment, maybe you husband has a similar thing for him to cuddle with on lonely nights?
Gee, bro, you better hope her husband doesn't get back, see these posts, and think you're hitting on her. I'm pretty sure he could take you in a fight.  :laugh:
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline dcommini

• OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »

And for now the little bit is obsessed with kissing EVERY icon in church and making her "cirss-cross hear" swirlie...

That sounds adorable! Post pics!

That would be adorable as well.

Gee, bro, you better hope her husband doesn't get back, see these posts, and think you're hitting on her. I'm pretty sure he could take you in a fight.  :laugh:

That's ok, I couldn't win a fight with myself if I tried... wait, what makes you think her husband can't see these now? Why would he not have spoken up before? Just what kind of husband is he?
OblSB

Check out my blog...