OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:50:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When God is Ministered TO  (Read 432 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« on: October 12, 2011, 10:52:21 AM »

Mod, if this isn't in the right place, please feel free to move - I'm not sure where it should go.

The Seraphim and the Cherubim minister to God.  Our Blessed Lady the Holy Theotokos is higher than the Seraphim and more beautiful than the Cherubim - and ministers to Him.  We minister to Him by serving those in need, by our praise and worship and liturgy . . .

I can see OUR need to minister to Him - the Seraphim and the Cherubim are of the holiest of angels and the Holy Theotokos?  She, the blessed tabernacle - holds Him.  The Saints minister to Him. . .this confuses me.  I see our need. . .as we are so pitiful. . . is ministering for the angels, Saints and the Holy Theotokos for their need as well?  Does He have a need in this? 

Am I looking at the word 'minister' incorrectly?  I'm seeing it as serving - taking care of.  Perhaps I should look at it and define it differently? There seems to be a solid two sides of ministry to God - both in our need and in His desire to be ministered to. . .my question is this:  Does this present a need of God? 

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 12:40:01 PM »

All creation is in a relation of servant-master, child-father, dependent-sustainer.

This applies to all of creation, including the Seraphim and Cherubim, and the Theotokos, and the Saints. We all have much in common, as being created beings, and share the same relation to God in regard to our createdness.

It is part of the proper state of being for all creation to be sustained BY God, and to minister TO God. This is not because God needs to be ministered to, but because our createdness is fulfilled in service to God, in worship and obedience.

We do not minister to God best when we are sinful, even if we feel bad about ourselves, and therefore the Cherubim and Seraphim, and the Theotokos and the Saints, are examples to us of how we should aspire to minister to God, not only by words and deeds but by the disposition of our hearts at all times.

Psalms 123:2  Behold, as the eyes of servants look unto the hand of their masters, and as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress; so our eyes wait upon the LORD our God.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 03:45:39 PM »

All creation is in a relation of servant-master, child-father, dependent-sustainer.

This applies to all of creation, including the Seraphim and Cherubim, and the Theotokos, and the Saints. We all have much in common, as being created beings, and share the same relation to God in regard to our createdness.

It is part of the proper state of being for all creation to be sustained BY God, and to minister TO God. This is not because God needs to be ministered to, but because our createdness is fulfilled in service to God, in worship and obedience.

We do not minister to God best when we are sinful, even if we feel bad about ourselves, and therefore the Cherubim and Seraphim, and the Theotokos and the Saints, are examples to us of how we should aspire to minister to God, not only by words and deeds but by the disposition of our hearts at all times.

Psalms 123:2  Behold, as the eyes of servants look unto the hand of their masters, and as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress; so our eyes wait upon the LORD our God.

Thank you!  This helps A LOT!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: