Author Topic: Cyprus to get back rare Orthodox frescoes from US  (Read 953 times)

Offline Mivac

Cyprus to get back rare Orthodox frescoes from US
« on: September 30, 2011, 09:33:14 AM »
NICOSIA, Cyprus (AP) — Rare 13th-century frescoes are to be returned to Cyprus from an American museum where they have been exhibited for the last 28 years, the leader of the divided island's Orthodox Christian church said on Friday.

http://news.yahoo.com/cyprus-back-rare-orthodox-frescoes-us-103540941.html

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Protostrator
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
Re: Cyprus to get back rare Orthodox frescoes from US
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 07:24:24 PM »
Yes! Good news.  :)
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline yBeayf

• High Elder
  • /etc
Re: Cyprus to get back rare Orthodox frescoes from US
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 10:28:48 PM »
As a Houstonian who is quite fond of the chapel at the Menil, I don't see the sense in this, unfortunately. I know the frescos were purchased with the intention of one day returning them to Cyprus, but their original location is in the Turkish-occupied north. The Menil created a very worthy and beautiful chapel to house them (if you visit Houston between now and when they go back, go visit it!), and has spent tons of money restoring them, so I would think it's only fair that they be allowed to keep them until they can go back to their original location.

None of the pictures on the web do it justice. The entire chapel glows and seems to float in space.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:35:48 PM by yBeayf »