Author Topic: About the Compline  (Read 749 times)

Offline casisthename

About the Compline
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:39:08 PM »
So the OCF at my school has started praying the compline at our meetings. 2 questions.

1)Is there anything wrong with reading the compline as compared to chanting it? (We chant it but believe me I have no clue what I'm actually doing and just kind of guess)

2)Is there anything wrong with me doing the compline on my own when OCF doesn't meet as a private devotion (even though since we have a "1 story universe" there really isn't much of private devotion in Orthodoxy)

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
Re: About the Compline
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 11:46:32 PM »
So the OCF at my school has started praying the compline at our meetings. 2 questions.

1)Is there anything wrong with reading the compline as compared to chanting it? (We chant it but believe me I have no clue what I'm actually doing and just kind of guess)

2)Is there anything wrong with me doing the compline on my own when OCF doesn't meet as a private devotion (even though since we have a "1 story universe" there really isn't much of private devotion in Orthodoxy)

1. I don't think there's anything wrong with either chanting or saying it. Though, I think, especially in a group, it's nice to chant. Compline is a great service to do because there's so little that changes, so it wouldn't be hard. Have the local priest come in a few times and help out...you'll pick it up in no time!

2. Absolutely not! Compline is the standard "going to sleep" service of the Church, and that rule is kept in monasteries and parishes. Of course, I don't think many parishes get together to do it with the priest, you could. In the Greek tradition, it's my understanding that compline is the only "Bedtime" private devotion you'll find in a prayer book. If you're using a Slavic tradition prayer book (such as the Jordanville) you're most definitely praying a modified form of compline. Just notice the "prayers before sleep" and compare to the Compline service. There's a lot of cross over!
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline Knee V

Re: About the Compline
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 07:10:22 PM »
Compline is my standard evening prayers, and I don't chant it. Chanting is definitely to be done in church, but not required when you're on your own or in small groups like OCF (although one certainly may chant if desired). Chanting exists because microphones didn't exist for a long time, and it's an effective means of projecting your voice and making it understandable (although it's original significance is no longer its only significance). It's not as if it's "God's language" or anything like that. It's important that you pray. It's not as important that your prayer sound impressive.

I'm no spiritual father, but if you can bear praying for 15 minutes (for some, 15 minutes all at one time is a heavy burden to bear, and that's ok. One can't run a marathon when one first begins jogging), Compline is a good way to end the day. But if the length of Compline will wear you out, don't burn yourself out. I'm sure that your priest can help you work something out (sorry for writing "out" so many times there).