OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:25:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fasting?  (Read 420 times) Average Rating: 0
Luke90

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: unsure

« on: September 29, 2011, 05:07:13 PM »

Hello, I'm new here, and new to Orthodoxy, I'm yet to attend and Orthodox Church, or be entered into the Orthodox Church, mainly because I live in the UK, and, I'm not too sure about where to go, but, until I eventually do attend Church, I am trying to educate myself, and live an Orthodox life, I believe some Orthodox Christians fast on Wednesdays and Fridays most weeks? (correct me if I'm wrong), by refraining from "meat, Fish, Oil, Wine, Dairy and Eggs" ? .... if this is the case, would it be acceptable to eat fruit?

I may be way off here and be completely wrong, but, as I said, I'm new and I'm here to learn.

Thanks.
-Luke.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »

Hello, I'm new here, and new to Orthodoxy, I'm yet to attend and Orthodox Church, or be entered into the Orthodox Church, mainly because I live in the UK, and, I'm not too sure about where to go, but, until I eventually do attend Church, I am trying to educate myself, and live an Orthodox life, I believe some Orthodox Christians fast on Wednesdays and Fridays most weeks? (correct me if I'm wrong), by refraining from "meat, Fish, Oil, Wine, Dairy and Eggs" ? .... if this is the case, would it be acceptable to eat fruit?

I may be way off here and be completely wrong, but, as I said, I'm new and I'm here to learn.

Thanks.
-Luke.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you got is right. To be sure, look at an Orthodox calendar, for example here, http://www.goarch.org/chapel/calendar. Note that there are Wednesdays and Fridays, every now and then, when fish or wine and olive oil are allowed. Also, there are weeks when there is no fast, even on Wed. and Fr. (the first week after Pascha and the first week of the Lenten Triodion). Always feel free to talk to your priest about fasting, he will guide you. (This can be done by e-mail, too.)

Fruit are always OK. Some say that "liquid bread" (beer) is always OK, too (although the opinions of our most enlightened Orthodox colleagues on this important question might differ).  Cheesy

Love never fails.
Luke90

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 05:37:21 PM »

Thank you!  Cheesy

I have an app on my phone that uses the calendar to tell me what readings are for that day, what name day it is and what fasting is required, I saw tomorrow was a fasting day, so I just thought I'd double check with some fellow Christians before I go to work tomorrow Smiley
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:45:02 PM »

A word of caution: do not attempt to live a completely 100% Orthodox lifestyle right away.  Certainly, try and not sin - but do not attempt to do an expansive prayer rule and get hung up on fasting, immediately.  Such things ought to be worked out with a priest.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 08:49:36 PM »

Fruit is always ok.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 08:53:57 PM »

A word of caution: do not attempt to live a completely 100% Orthodox lifestyle right away.  Certainly, try and not sin - but do not attempt to do an expansive prayer rule and get hung up on fasting, immediately.  Such things ought to be worked out with a priest.

Good point. It is more important to understand WHY we fast rather than adhering to a rule/regimen out of a sense of duty or conformity. I suspect our new member knows this anyway, though.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 09:03:28 PM »

I think the analogy would be we don't want to throw a non-swimmer into the deep end of the pool right off the bat. 

Some priests will have you go very slowly at first.  For instance: only refraining from meat during a fast and to leave the table not quite full.

I've always heard that one should start with a simple prayer rule at first and be faithful with that.  An example would be to just say the Trisigon Prayers, the Lord's Prayer, and ONE morning or evening prayer.  You'll be amazed at how hard it is just to do the simple things faithfully. 

But mostly - welcome to the forum.
Luke90

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 10:59:07 AM »

Thanks for all of your welcomes and advice.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: