OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:48:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preparing for Holy Communion  (Read 1016 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: August 02, 2004, 05:35:52 AM »

How do folks on this board prepare for recieving the mystery of Holy Communion?
 I've read different requiremments form different sources. Everything from observing a fast from meat for the three days prior, complete fasting from midnight before receiving, reciting various canons and akathisits, attending vespers the night before, attending matins the morning of or attending both, going to Confession before each Communion (or not). I'm curious as to what most folks actually do, if you don't mind sharing. thnx

Proverbs 22:7
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 10:37:19 AM »

I attend Vespers the night before, do Confession, read all the prayers in preparation for Communion (both before I go to bed and again when I get up in the morning--if I get to church early, I start reading them again), I fast from everything after midnight (which is really difficult because I sing in the choir and my throat is so parched before we take Communion--I miss the water more than the food), and I am there for the entire service.  My priest expects us to confess each time before receiving Communion if we receive Communion once a month or less.  As I attend a mission without a resident priest, and he gets here once a month for vespers and liturgy, all the members of our mission are expected to confess each time.  The weeks that we don't have a priest, we hold typica services.   How frequently you confess is worked out with your priest.
shanmo9

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 12:11:04 PM »

As I new convert, I also am interested in your perspectives.
As far as my priest has told me:
Try to fast Wed and Friday
Fast 12 hours before receiving
Confess reguliarly--especially when convicted of grievous sin

Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me a sinner!
4Truth

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 01:44:08 PM »

Confession (monthly, at least).
Present for Vespers/Vigil the night before.  (Although one U.S. jurisdiction does not often celebrate Vespers, so members of it can't be blamed for not attending Vespers.)
Having followed the normal fasts (Wednesday/Fridays and any others on the calendar) (both the "food" fast and the "marital" fast).
Praying the complete set of preparatory prayers, to include at least one canon.
Neither food nor drink after midnight (unless water is needed for morning medications).

4Truth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: