OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 04:00:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does the church deal with addictions??  (Read 430 times) Average Rating: 5
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:36:50 PM »

This orthodox priest on the video is talking about addictions, that people are addicted to their passions and basically behaving like spoiled brats when it comes to their passions. It's about 2/3 the way through the video he says it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG_3pZvMQ4g&feature=related

How does the church and the teachings view addictions in general. Like alcohol and food addictions, gambling and addictions to shopping (not street drugs) some of these things are rli serious so does the church have a spiritual way of dealing with them and how successfull is it?? or do ppl have to go to a psychologist or counsellor??

Thanks Poppy
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 11:56:22 PM »

Poppy,
I don't know much on the subject, but Fr. Meletios Webber (author of Bread & Water, Wine & Oil, and speaker of the Jottings from a Holy Mountain Podcast) wrote a book called Steps of Transformation: An Orthodox Priest Explores the Twelve Steps (Conciliar Press).

He also has a doctorate in counseling.  I've not thoroughly read the book though. 

Fighting the passions (not specifically "addictions")?  That's kind of Orthodoxy's bread & butter. 

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
joasia

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 11:57:30 PM »

We do need guidance in getting through our "therapy" with our passions so we do have our priests to turn to.  They are our spiritual counsellors.   So, it's not so far off the mark to say that we need counselling.  The addictions are a form of self-indulgences of the flesh.  We know that Christ and the saints taught that we should overcome our indulgences so that we can be freed from the physical influences and therefore move closer to God.  When we come to accept God in our lives, we start to change our ways.  It's a slow process for some and others might make faster changes.  But, the main point is that we do make changes for the better.  The Church and the saints view addictions as a sickness which can be healed.  It's just a matter of the person wanting to take that first step.  These addictions are not part of our true nature.  But, our bodies and minds are so used to them that we need to get spiritual guidance to help us get over them.  It's only successful if you want it to be.  

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 01:10:43 AM »

So the point is to find a spiritual father that can help with this?  Granted, just because you say in Confession "I keep doing such and such, even when I have tried to stop" is no guarantee that he will counsel you on the matter.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:11:00 AM by Andrew Crook » Logged

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 01:11:47 AM »

I miss poppy. You jerkoffs ran her off!!!!!!!!!

Asterikos the Convert Issues Forum is an inappropriate forum to bring this up. If you have issues about Poppy please address it to the administrative team. In reviewing her discussions within the Convert Issues Forum she appears to have been dealt fairly and given resources and answers to the questions that she asked or was forwarded to other appropriate O.C.Net forums. My dealings in both public and PM were always cordial, nothing to indicated that we  (Convert Issues Forum) were "jerkoffs " who ran her off.  If such is the case I ask for her forgiveness,

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:05:42 PM by Thomas » Logged

There are many foolish priests out there.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: