OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 01:40:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy and Evangelism...  (Read 1845 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: September 29, 2011, 02:42:54 PM »

I know there have been a couple threads on this before, but this another thing I am struggling with.  It seems that there is a lack of "reaching out" to the lost.  It seems like Orthodoxy is more concerned with converting other Christians that people who arent Christians at all.  This often comes up in discussions on the topic.  How do we "go and make disciples" from an Orthodox perspective?  It seems that everyone says to "live the life" of the Orthodox Christian.  This is certainly the little bit of protestant left in me speaking, but cant a big "relevent" type event or rally be helpful in showing people about God? If people have fun at an event, wouldnt they be more likely to come back?? And if they come back, wouldnt they be more likely to develop a relationship with Christ?

Also, on kind of another topic, I am often scared to share what I have found because I know people dont understand. As i mentioned in another thread, its hard for me to explain it.  Is it better for me to try and explain, or should I just leave it alone with certain people who I know arent going to be open to it?

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 03:36:55 PM »

I look at it this way. Evangelism in the protestant sense is convicing someone of a piece of information that you are providing and having that person make a spiritual decision based on it. More often than not shouting it from the rooftops or handing out tracts on the corner gets you really nowhere. Its like a telemarketing cold-call.

From my observation, Orthodoxy (in the general sense, of course) evangelises through love and daily action. I have had volumes spoken to me by watching how the members of my parish interact with one another and with the strangers that visit every time the doors open. They dont need a commercial, or a snazzy marketing campaign, or even "street corner" preaching. My parish is there with signs stating who they are and what its about ("find the original", Im sure you know the signs Im talking about). When they walk thorugh the door, who will obviosuly be at least open to what Orthodoxy is all about, they are treated better, warmly, less judgemental, and with honest concern than any other place I've seen.

Of course the evangelism we see in Acts is needed but there is alot to be said about living Christ daily than just talking about Him. I think by living Christ we can accomplish far more.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »

Acquire peace, and thousands around you will be saved.
— St Seraphim of Sarov

There is plenty more we can do in terms of rote evangelism. The Church has a great tradition of that. But most conversions come through personal encounters. If we all displayed the change others wanted to see in their own lives, the Church would explode.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 04:03:20 PM »

Evangelism in the protestant sense is convicing someone of a piece of information that you are providing and having that person make a spiritual decision based on it. More often than not shouting it from the rooftops or handing out tracts on the corner gets you really nowhere. Its like a telemarketing cold-call.
So true!  Grin

The thing a lot of Protestants have to struggle with is decision theology. As a former Lutheran, this "making a decision for Christ" always sounded a little odd to me. I've seen people that seemed to be almost keeping score on how many souls they have won for Christ - which always seemed more than a little presumptuous to me.

Based on my observation/experience, we need to be continually "making a decision for Christ," in ways great and small, not just once. Often, you know, this kind of emotional decision doesn't last. So there are revivals and renewals and more altar calls. We need to keep growing in grace and in Christ, and the only way that we can do that is, of course, to live a true Christian life.

The truth is big-event evangelism or even handing out tracts on a streetcorner is lazy and easy evangelism. The hard, dirty, difficult evangelism is actually living a Christian life. When I've got that down, then I figure I'll be ready for the stadium shows.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »

Evangelism in the protestant sense is convicing someone of a piece of information that you are providing and having that person make a spiritual decision based on it. More often than not shouting it from the rooftops or handing out tracts on the corner gets you really nowhere. Its like a telemarketing cold-call.
So true!  Grin

The thing a lot of Protestants have to struggle with is decision theology. As a former Lutheran, this "making a decision for Christ" always sounded a little odd to me. I've seen people that seemed to be almost keeping score on how many souls they have won for Christ - which always seemed more than a little presumptuous to me.

Based on my observation/experience, we need to be continually "making a decision for Christ," in ways great and small, not just once. Often, you know, this kind of emotional decision doesn't last. So there are revivals and renewals and more altar calls. We need to keep growing in grace and in Christ, and the only way that we can do that is, of course, to live a true Christian life.

The truth is big-event evangelism or even handing out tracts on a streetcorner is lazy and easy evangelism. The hard, dirty, difficult evangelism is actually living a Christian life. When I've got that down, then I figure I'll be ready for the stadium shows.

Yeah I know the same type too. Thats why to me, the way the folks at my parish treat each other and my family (when they feel like attending) speaks volumes to me about how to really share the love of Christ, because they love each other.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Paisius
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 04:18:15 PM »

I know there have been a couple threads on this before, but this another thing I am struggling with.  It seems that there is a lack of "reaching out" to the lost.  It seems like Orthodoxy is more concerned with converting other Christians that people who arent Christians at all.  This often comes up in discussions on the topic.  How do we "go and make disciples" from an Orthodox perspective?  It seems that everyone says to "live the life" of the Orthodox Christian.  This is certainly the little bit of protestant left in me speaking, but cant a big "relevent" type event or rally be helpful in showing people about God? If people have fun at an event, wouldnt they be more likely to come back?? And if they come back, wouldnt they be more likely to develop a relationship with Christ?

Also, on kind of another topic, I am often scared to share what I have found because I know people dont understand. As i mentioned in another thread, its hard for me to explain it.  Is it better for me to try and explain, or should I just leave it alone with certain people who I know arent going to be open to it?

The reality is for the earliest Christians about the only "event" they would be attending was a mass execution of Christians.

I think it's important that we don't get caught up in the idea that modern American evangelicalism is the only form of evangelism. We don't have revivals and flashy services with rock bands, projector screens, pyrotechnics and people repelling from the ceiling (that really happened at one of the local Baptist churches  Shocked). But yet Orthodoxy continues to attract converts in greater and greater numbers. Even you have somehow found your way to Orthodoxy.  Wink

Why do people continue to discover Orthodoxy even though we don't have the hip marketing ploys others have? It is because everyone in their own heart has a deep longing for God that is not being fulfilled in their daily lives, and flashy lights and rock concerts are a poor substitute for true worship and communion with God.

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 04:58:47 PM »

people repelling from the ceiling (that really happened at one of the local Baptist churches  Shocked).
Shocked

Why do people continue to discover Orthodoxy even though we don't have the hip marketing ploys others have? It is because everyone in their own heart has a deep longing for God that is not being fulfilled in their daily lives, and flashy lights and rock concerts are a poor substitute for true worship and communion with God.

Amen!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Paisius
High Elder

Reframed

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 05:40:54 PM »

Two links that may be of interest to the OP.

Orthodox Church in Tanzania

Orthodox Christian Mission Center

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »

Thanks for the replies!  This stuff makes sense to me, but as always I have a hard time explaining it to others.  Sometimes I make myself look like a dummy when im talking to others about Orthodoxy, so the reason I ask these questions to to help me explain better.  I find myself having to do a lot of explaining...

Also, for some silly reason, its better when the responses are actually addressed to me, rather than just reading another thread on the topic.  I didnt really see one that perfectly addressed my question.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »

Not to offend anyone but Really.... I read some of the things here in shock. I guess Petter and Paul and the rest wouldn't quite fit into Orthodoxy today from some of those who posted. Do you think those were days of old when they went into the streets into the temples of the gods of different Nations to tell the news of Jesus. They were killed yeah but why sure wasn't from sitting around just showing love no because the picked up the cross of the Lord and carried it were out spoken in face of kings and leaders of there day not some get together hug group on sunday.

Orthodoxy was told not to go out and bring people in from the west yeah I get that but as you clearly see the west didn't hold up to there agreement not to go into the east. I say pull up your boots straps look to the church fathers like we are to do not just say awh thats sweet and get out there with the true good news of our Lord.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »

Post of the month nomination!

So true!  Grin

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Paisius
High Elder

Reframed

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »

Not to offend anyone but Really.... I read some of the things here in shock. I guess Petter and Paul and the rest wouldn't quite fit into Orthodoxy today from some of those who posted. Do you think those were days of old when they went into the streets into the temples of the gods of different Nations to tell the news of Jesus. They were killed yeah but why sure wasn't from sitting around just showing love no because the picked up the cross of the Lord and carried it were out spoken in face of kings and leaders of there day not some get together hug group on sunday.

Orthodoxy was told not to go out and bring people in from the west yeah I get that but as you clearly see the west didn't hold up to there agreement not to go into the east. I say pull up your boots straps look to the church fathers like we are to do not just say awh thats sweet and get out there with the true good news of our Lord.

An acute case of convertitis I see.  Smiley

Not to worry, God has a way of humbling our human pride. Continue on your journey and you will see.  Wink
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:57:47 PM by Paisius » Logged

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 09:04:36 PM »

The Protestant concept of evangelism is to get people to "accept Christ". This is what Orthodoxy does in areas that are not traditionally Chirstian or have some form of Christianity being preached. Unfortunately, it's not Christ that needs to be accepted, at least here in the US, but His Church and the need to be constantly engaged in following Him. Most people here love Jesus, they just reject the traditional teaching about the Church or any need for historical continuity.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 09:39:40 PM »

The Protestant concept of evangelism is to get people to "accept Christ". This is what Orthodoxy does in areas that are not traditionally Chirstian or have some form of Christianity being preached. Unfortunately, it's not Christ that needs to be accepted, at least here in the US, but His Church and the need to be constantly engaged in following Him. Most people here love Jesus, they just reject the traditional teaching about the Church or any need for historical continuity.
I wouldn't be so sure about that here in America. last poll done on the issue in 2009 showed a big rise in people claiming to be atheist along with all church"s reporting less members. UK is way up there in numbers of people claiming to be atheist and the only faith that tends to show any numbers of growing in the UK is Islam that is very very sad
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure about that here in America. last poll done on the issue in 2009 showed a big rise in people claiming to be atheist along with all church"s reporting less members. UK is way up there in numbers of people claiming to be atheist and the only faith that tends to show any numbers of growing in the UK is Islam that is very very sad

The West is Christian only in the cultural sense. You are right in everything you say. Most of the people around me in my daily life are not Christians of any sort. Freely we have received; freely let us give.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »

An acute case of convertitis I see.  Smiley

Not to worry, God has a way of humbling our human pride. Continue on your journey and you will see.  Wink

While I could nit pick some things, I agree with the general point jewish voice is making. And... the chrismation has long dried on me... or been soiled by sin... one of them Wink

Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 10:45:41 PM »

Dear Timon,

You shouldn't be really surprised if most Orthodox are unwilling to evangelize--spending hundreds of years as Dhimma has done a really good job of training the Orthodox to keep their religion an entirely private matter, not to be thrusted upon others. The Soviets tried to impress this mentality upon the remeining Christians in their lands as well. Obviously, there are many Orthodox who want to evangelize, but it seems that we've collectively forgotten how to do it!

So, when someone calls out the Orthodox for taking the most passive approach possible to evangelism, the immediate reply is, "Acquire a spirit of inner peace..." etc. It's like the proof-text for excusing oneself from evangelism. The only type of evangelism to which we devote any substantial amount of energy is the conversion of Evangelicals. That's fine, but it does not constitute "mission" in the true sense of the word.

I agree with the other posters that rallies and "attractions" are not a proper way to evangelize. I consider these methods to be somewhat dishonest, because the plan is basically to bait people by appealing to their passions, and then "zeroing in" on them. It's sort of like a mouse trap. Evangelism should be straightforward and honest in all respects, just like in Scripture.

However, no one has ever asked me about our Faith because I was a peaceful person. People have to know you're an Orthodox Christian. You have to be ready to pass on the gift of the Faith to others. This involves love, diligence, and perseverence. There is no formula for how to do it. God will help you.

As for your personal issue of feeling like you can't explain what you have found, my personal advice is to share what you understand and not share what you don't understand. I hope that makes sense. I hope and pray that with time, you will grow and be able to share more.

In Christ,
Ruf
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 11:34:59 PM »

Orthodox Christian Mission (OCMC) does out reach in nations where Christianity (especially Eastern Orthodox Christians) are in the minority. They are also active in re-evangelizing former Communist nations where Orthodoxy was once prevalent. Yes we do evangelize the heterodox (non Eastern Orthodox Christians or "other beliefs" Christians) as we believe that although accepting Christ as they understand him, they have failed to meet and know the True Christ fully---that is only possible through knowing him in the practice of the Orthodox (Right Belief) Church.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 01:01:58 AM »

Orthodox Christian Mission (OCMC) does out reach in nations where Christianity (especially Eastern Orthodox Christians) are in the minority. They are also active in re-evangelizing former Communist nations where Orthodoxy was once prevalent. Yes we do evangelize the heterodox (non Eastern Orthodox Christians or "other beliefs" Christians) as we believe that although accepting Christ as they understand him, they have failed to meet and know the True Christ fully---that is only possible through knowing him in the practice of the Orthodox (Right Belief) Church.

Thomas

Thomas, since you were a former Mormon, what kind of difficulty has it been for a Momorn to evanglize an Orthodox Christian? Or stop Mormonism from rapidly expanding by sharing the Orthodox faith?

I think I have misconstrued my questions.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 10:32:30 AM »

Ok, what exactly would be your ideas for Orthodox evangelism? Please be specific, if you don't mind. (Not that you would, of course, but people often indulge in high-flown rhetoric about the need for evangelism, or turn up their noses at what evangelism is already being done, but then don't offer any ideas on what Orthodox evangelism would actually look like.)

St. John Chrysostom
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 02:01:54 PM »

Ok, what exactly would be your ideas for Orthodox evangelism? Please be specific, if you don't mind. (Not that you would, of course, but people often indulge in high-flown rhetoric about the need for evangelism, or turn up their noses at what evangelism is already being done, but then don't offer any ideas on what Orthodox evangelism would actually look like.)
I will give you a few ideas that I have and have seen done. First why not have a tv channel the catholics have one and now even the muslims have one here in the USA. Get the local home sales when you see someone bought a new home in the church's area send out a welcome letter saying welcome to the area if your looking for a church home come check us out. Run adds in the news paper about your bake sales and or events not just in your church letters. Christmas time run a add on local tv or radio inviting people to come celebrate in the Orthodox church. Pascha time do the same thing. Its all about getting the local church's name out and making people feel that they have a place to come worship.
This is just a few quick ideas but once you get your local church's name out there and people come and see the rest is between them and God.

Just a little side note my parents are 68 years old I asked them if they knew anything about Orthodox christians. They said they knew nothing about them. They can tell you about Catholics, Jw's Church of England,Mormons and such. To top it all off there are 4 Orthodox church's in less then 15 mis from my house     
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 02:28:07 PM »

Run adds in the news paper about your bake sales and or events not just in your church letters. Christmas time run a add on local tv or radio inviting people to come celebrate in the Orthodox church. Pascha time do the same thing. Its all about getting the local church's name out and making people feel that they have a place to come worship.

I've seen all this done and more. This, however, strikes me as a little odd:
Get the local home sales when you see someone bought a new home in the church's area send out a welcome letter saying welcome to the area if your looking for a church home come check us out.
Not to nitpick, and perhaps those involved in real estate know about this, but how would you know that someone had bought a new home in the church's area, without researching records at the county courthouse or knocking on their door? And I emphatically object to folks ringing the doorbell to invite me to join their church, but that's probably just me.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 02:28:31 PM by katherineofdixie » Logged

St. John Chrysostom
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »

Run adds in the news paper about your bake sales and or events not just in your church letters. Christmas time run a add on local tv or radio inviting people to come celebrate in the Orthodox church. Pascha time do the same thing. Its all about getting the local church's name out and making people feel that they have a place to come worship.

I've seen all this done and more. This, however, strikes me as a little odd:
Get the local home sales when you see someone bought a new home in the church's area send out a welcome letter saying welcome to the area if your looking for a church home come check us out.
Not to nitpick, and perhaps those involved in real estate know about this, but how would you know that someone had bought a new home in the church's area, without researching records at the county courthouse or knocking on their door? And I emphatically object to folks ringing the doorbell to invite me to join their church, but that's probably just me.

OH you mean the north has you beat on hospitality!! Tongue I don't know how they get that info but when me and my wife got our house we got letters from church's in the town. The Catholic church even sent me a letter I was shocked of course it told me about there school and church along with the bingo schedule.
Victoria

Faith: inquirer in Orthodox Faith

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 03:09:57 PM »

I will give you a few ideas that I have and have seen done. First why not have a tv channel the catholics have one and now even the muslims have one here in the USA. Get the local home sales when you see someone bought a new home in the church's area send out a welcome letter saying welcome to the area if your looking for a church home come check us out. Run adds in the news paper about your bake sales and or events not just in your church letters. Christmas time run a add on local tv or radio inviting people to come celebrate in the Orthodox church. Pascha time do the same thing. Its all about getting the local church's name out and making people feel that they have a place to come worship.
This is just a few quick ideas but once you get your local church's name out there and people come and see the rest is between them and God.

Just a little side note my parents are 68 years old I asked them if they knew anything about Orthodox christians. They said they knew nothing about them. They can tell you about Catholics, Jw's Church of England,Mormons and such. To top it all off there are 4 Orthodox church's in less then 15 mis from my house     
darn good idea-While I am a newcomer to OC, I still think that lack of evangelization is one of the main issues.I posted on this topic before and I completely agree with Jewish Voice.  “living the life of the Christian”as many people posted, is not doing anything whatsoever about spreading the word about OC. Everyone knows about Roman Catholic church but ask people about what OC is and you will get a blank look-to me this is very telling

Humility and fear of God are above all virtues-Saint John Kolobos
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 03:57:11 PM »

I think that the advertising ideas are good, but most parishes use them anyway. Or at least the ones I've seen.
It's probably just me, but I don't respond well to "occupant" letters: "Dear (blank): we'd love to have you make us your church home." I didn't like it when I was working in the backyard and the local Baptist preacher just decided to open the gate and walk in to invite me to church.
Seriously, does this stuff really work?
I suppose it does or they wouldn't spend all that much time, effort and money to do it.

There's nothing wrong with letting people know where to find you, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that "evangelism" would be defined differently by the Orthodox and the evangelicals.

St. John Chrysostom
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »

Not sure of anyone mentioned this yet....

Acts 2:42-47

42And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. 43And awe[d] came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. 44And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. 46And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

It seems that if EVERY Christian sold some of their precious crap and gave the proceeds away, genuinely taking care of peoples needs themselves rather than depending on governments to do it, the numbers in the Churches would skyrocket.  

Christians today rarely live by this passage.  Many dont commune.  Many dont pray.  Many certainly dont devote themselves to the apostles teachings.  Many dont give to the poor.  Many arent at peace with themselves or with others who think differently than them.  For example, I have Christian friends who say some of the most awful things about muslims.  Or gay people...

Im not saying that Im not guilty of some of these things.  I think to some degree, everyone is.  This is part of the challenge of living the Christian life.  But with all these things considered, no wonder evangelism is tough!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:53:26 PM by Timon » Logged

— Chrysostom

BLOG
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »

I think that the advertising ideas are good, but most parishes use them anyway. Or at least the ones I've seen.
It's probably just me, but I don't respond well to "occupant" letters: "Dear (blank): we'd love to have you make us your church home." I didn't like it when I was working in the backyard and the local Baptist preacher just decided to open the gate and walk in to invite me to church.
I suppose it does or they wouldn't spend all that much time, effort and money to do it.

There's nothing wrong with letting people know where to find you, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that "evangelism" would be defined differently by the Orthodox and the evangelicals.

Not everyone has the same calling or work to do. Tonight there is some child that feels unloved not wanted been hit beat pounded on called names for being different. Fat, skinny, short , tall ect all they want is to feel loved feel wanted some maybe even thinking of taking there own life. There's people that are unemployed who feel that there whole life is over losing everything right before there very eyes. There people hurt and lost on drugs. A kind word taking 5 mins to say hi sharing the good news of God letting people know that there loved and a stranger telling them this sometimes makes a whole world of difference. They know you didn't have to stop an care but yet you did. Thats what Jesus meant when he said bring me your sick your lame and broken hearted for I make them whole again. All we have to do is be willing to bring them. To answer your question does it work. For me I think it does and thats what I feel Jesus is all about.
Paisius
High Elder

Reframed

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 10:44:27 PM »

Not everyone has the same calling or work to do. Tonight there is some child that feels unloved not wanted been hit beat pounded on called names for being different. Fat, skinny, short , tall ect all they want is to feel loved feel wanted some maybe even thinking of taking there own life. There's people that are unemployed who feel that there whole life is over losing everything right before there very eyes. There people hurt and lost on drugs. A kind word taking 5 mins to say hi sharing the good news of God letting people know that there loved and a stranger telling them this sometimes makes a whole world of difference. They know you didn't have to stop an care but yet you did. Thats what Jesus meant when he said bring me your sick your lame and broken hearted for I make them whole again. All we have to do is be willing to bring them. To answer your question does it work. For me I think it does and thats what I feel Jesus is all about.

So Jesus is all about going out and saying nice things to people? My friend you are woefully ignorant about more things than you know.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:45:37 PM by Paisius » Logged

jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 11:06:54 PM »

So Jesus is all about going out and saying nice things to people? My friend you are woefully ignorant about more things than you know.
if what I wrote is "ignorant" Then I will joyfully be that my friend. also if that makes me a protestant in others eye then I am also proud of it. I wont stop telling people about God and his love for them and those in need
Paisius
High Elder

Reframed

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2011, 11:16:08 PM »

if what I wrote is "ignorant" Then I will joyfully be that my friend. also if that makes me a protestant in others eye then I am also proud of it. I wont stop telling people about God and his love for them and those in need

Right.  Wink

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »

Enough bickering...

I thought I posted a good response and I'm waiting for someone to acknowledge it!!! Smiley

I need to know if my brain is going in the right direction!!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Paisius
High Elder

Reframed

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2011, 11:21:37 PM »

Enough bickering...

I thought I posted a good response and I'm waiting for someone to acknowledge it!!! Smiley

I personally think your last post is right on the money my friend.  Smiley

jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2011, 11:25:20 PM »

Enough bickering...

Timon I would say if you try to do this in your life then your on the right mind set.
Matthew 22:36-40
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:27:09 PM by jewish voice » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2011, 01:05:41 AM »

Rule #1 for improving Orthodox evangelism: stop rationalizing and trying to explain away the current lack of evangelism.

I've got about 50 more ideas.

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2011, 08:34:51 AM »

Rule #1 for improving Orthodox evangelism: stop rationalizing and trying to explain away the current lack of evangelism.

I like this.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Paisius
High Elder

Reframed

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2011, 09:23:18 PM »

If you are experiencing a "lack of evangelism" perhaps that is a problem with your parish because it certainly does not sound like anything I've experienced with parishes in my area.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2011, 10:06:13 PM »

If you are experiencing a "lack of evangelism" perhaps that is a problem with your parish

No.

because it certainly does not sound like anything I've experienced with parishes in my area.

No.

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 12:12:55 PM »

Gosh, do I feel like a curmudgeon. First, jv, let me say that I think you mean well and your heart is apparently in the right place, and I am certainly not advocating kicking cripples or being mean to people. But along with certain kinds of "evangelism," I have a problem with the kind of thinking that just telling people "God loves you" or "I care about you" and then going on your way. This is the catchphrase of cursillo or Via de Cristo or similar "movements" and it used to irritate me no end: "God loves you and so do I!" No, they didn't. Because if they did, they would have actually befriended me or tried to help. Words are cheap - that kind of evangelism is cheap. Actually doing something for others out of love is difficult.

St. John Chrysostom
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 02:46:24 PM »

Good point.

I remember as part of a theology project in college, me and a group of people went to a Braves game and handed out free water bottles and told them Jesus loved them! (it was only a small part of the project. And we didn't HAVE to do that. It was just an idea my group had that also allowed us to attend a ball game!)

I wonder how effective we were? Probably not very. At least we saved some folks some cash so they didn't have to buy a 5$ water bottle in the stadium!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 03:03:25 PM »

I agree with this.

I think what while we do need to be careful about excusing a lack of evangelism, we need to take a step back and think about what might be appropriate for many of us. Not everyone is made for tract hand-outs. Frankly, when I have what I thought was a legitimate discussion with people and they would hand me a card with their church's information or a tract, I felt like I was tricked.

Yes, this evangelism is more aggressive and arguably more effective, but I'm not sure if that would work where I live. I live in an area where most of the people are reasonably educated on issues, liberal, stubborn. I think that such an "overt" approach turns many of them off. When I was in campus, I remember secular roommates coming into my room and ranting about the "Crazies" trying to tell them about Jesus saving them. We would end up having a discussion of faith which he/she initiated, and all would be well.

For the record, I am NOT saying that I have done good with this...I actually feel disappointment at how my chances to disciple have turned out. Several of my friends were so fascinated with discussing faith with me that they came to church, went at 100 mph for a few weeks, and fell flat on their face. Every single person I "brought" to church had this happen, and I heard so many tearful apologies. "The church/Jesus Christ isn't for me, but thank you, Ismi." Each and everyone of them were ashamed and fearful that they would lose my friendship.

I comforted them and tried to talk to them about it a bit more, but that was it (not for our friendship, but for their faith). I can tell you what wouldn't have worked, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what WOULD work.

If we take all of the Bible in context, why can't we approach evangelism the same way? Our world is changing. We live in different places in the world. The main thing is that I think we should ask ourselves what we should be doing and involve ourselves in church activities. Our church brings a lot of non-Orthodox people in for festivals and such, and I think this could be a good place to speak with people about our faith, since they came to a church event willingly.

Of course we should be more willing to broach that topic. I'm sure many of us have friends who confide in us, and perhaps shying away from mentioning our faith at crucial moments, we should swallow our pride and fear and go for it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:03:42 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 02:09:18 PM »

Our church brings a lot of non-Orthodox people in for festivals and such, and I think this could be a good place to speak with people about our faith, since they came to a church event willingly.

I went to the greek festival this weekend at the local greek church.  It was PACKED and I know all those people werent Orthodox.  It seemed like a great way to introduce the community to the church.  They did church tours, church history classes, had greek food, greek music, etc.  This was also the first event at a church I attended which served wine and beer!  I think that in itself certainly surprised a lot of people, and maybe made them think twice about their view of "church people." Ha!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »

Hey, Timon, I think I saw you there!
 Wink

St. John Chrysostom
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2011, 12:07:27 AM »

Wink

Well, the "dixie" in your name hints that youre southern.  Maybe it was the same one! Annunciation Cathedral? Clairmont Road?

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2011, 12:08:37 AM »

Wink

Actually, are you the one who goes to St. John the Wonderworker??

— Chrysostom

BLOG
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »

Yep, that would be moi.
The Cumming parish is having their Greek Festival in a couple of weeks. I like it better, smaller and more like a family picnic. And you get to listen to Fr. Barnabas, always a plus!

St. John Chrysostom
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2011, 12:00:15 PM »

Yep, that would be moi.
The Cumming parish is having their Greek Festival in a couple of weeks. I like it better, smaller and more like a family picnic. And you get to listen to Fr. Barnabas, always a plus!

Might have to check that out.  I really enjoyed the last one, although it was extremely crowded! Sometimes i begin to lose my mind when I am in places that crowded! Ha!  However, I am glad that so many people came and visited the church.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »

Thomas

Thomas, since you were a former Mormon, what kind of difficulty has it been for a Momorn to evanglize an Orthodox Christian? Or stop Mormonism from rapidly expanding by sharing the Orthodox faith?

I think I have misconstrued my questions.

I think I understand what you are asking, here is my response.

From 1935 forward,  a systematic Missionary system was a reason for LDS success in  growth  by conversion.  Originally an idea from then President and Prophet Heber Grant utilizing  modern business marketing and sales techniques to tell the LDS story to Americans and Europeans a new method of  missionizing that reached a modern population .   While successful in European and American populations, it has not been successful in evangelizing traditional Orthodox Christian populations due to the  obvious discrepancies between the teachings of the LDS Prophets  from Joseph Smith to the present  First President and Prophet Thomas S.  Monson and the Orthodox Church’s early Church fathers down to our current Heirarchs.

The LDS Systematic Missionary system utilizes memorized lessons taught by  non-paid missionaries (largely males between the ages of 19 and 24) that utilize  films,  flip books, and videos to present the LDS  “Gospel”.  The LDS Misionary has always focused on specific demographics to recruit from. In the early days of the LDS Church the focus was on the “burned out” heavily evangelized partisan survivors  and millennial fears of the American Frontier.  The next group was focused on Europeans who were skilled laborers who suffered from lack of property, over population,  war, and class subjugation by  helping them to immigrate to Utah and the New Zion.
Today the  LDS Systematic  Missionary System has a new set of demographics that focus their missionizing targeting the following groups:
1)  Persons in spiritual crisis or in spiritual need
2)  Newly weds  after 3-6 months of marriage (honeymoon is over)
3)  Grieving persons (who has lost young children -2 months after death or a spouse 4-6 months as family starts telling them that it is time “ to get on with life”)
4) Those seeking for  their own “Truth” not that of their parents  (usually 14 y.o to 18 y.o)
5) Those who are unemployed more than 4 months.
6) In Africa, the “New Zion” teachings are arisng again

If an Orthodox wishes to  evangelize the Mormon the best tool is the return to the early Church  Fathers who clearly address the concerns that the LDS Church tries to state  where lost by the modern Churches and the LDS program is to Restore. As those teachings have never been lost in the Orthodox Church, no restoration is necessary and the focus must remain on the original teachings of the church not the reinvented, “restored” gospel of the Mormon Church.

Thomas
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:14:03 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Fr. John D-Alton
Fr. John D'Alton

Jurisdiction: Antiochian-Australia

Priest: Fr John D'Alton

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2011, 06:37:13 PM »

Met. Paul, the Antiochian Archbishop here in Australia, is just one of several bishops who grew up in the Middle East and have some strong things to say on this topic. Met. Paul frequently reminds us priests and all the laity as well that we must evangelise like St Paul and the Apostles, Sts Cyril and Methodius, Innocent etc etc. Yes of course we need to become more holy like in the monastic quote above, but it is all too often used as an excuse to "hide our lights under the bushell". So the concerns of Jewish voice is right. We modern Orthodox are not following our Tradition very well. We have forgotten the passion of the apostles, and need to learn from modern apostles like Fr. Themi, Orthodox priest in Sierra Leone who has baptised several thousand in the last few years, starting several churches, schools etc. There is an over-reaction against Protestant methods- despite the fact that many of the methods are very inappropriate we should not through out Orthodox methods that look a bit similar. So mass hypnosis events are wrong! But a certain passionate mission is right. This is not my thoughts but from several of our bishops. We need less posting of "my thoughts" on this topic, and more of what our bishops say. Too many of "my thoughts" are just delusion.
in Christ,
Fr. John D'Alton

Fr. John D'Alton
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: