OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 09:19:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diatesseron in the Paschal Service???  (Read 542 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« on: September 28, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »

Today, in my New Testament class, my Professor was briefly discussing the Diatesseron, with relation to differences in the Resurrection accounts, between the Gospels.  At one point, he said that a former student - who is Greek Orthodox - informed him that the Orthodox Church uses the Diatesseron on Pascha Sunday.  I had never heard this before.  I have done a quick Google search and it turned up nothing.  Before I contradict my Professor, via e-mail or some such thing, I thought I should probably see if anyone could confirm this. 

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »

Maybe he was talking about the Twelve Passion Gospels of Great and Holy Thursday?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:10:16 PM »

The only Church that I'm aware of that uses the Diatessaron is the Syriac (OO) Church.  Otherwise, the EO and majority of OO Churches do not use it at all, on any day, in any way.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »

Maybe he was talking about the Twelve Passion Gospels of Great and Holy Thursday?

What is this?

And Father, thank you - I should think you know better than a random former student.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »

What is this?

The pericope of readings on Holy Thursday evening (which is Matins of Holy Friday) - 12 Gospel readings all focused on the Passion and Crucifixion.  All the readings come from the traditional 4 gospels (i.e. not from the Diatessaron), but there could have been a confusion on the student's part...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »

What is this?

The pericope of readings on Holy Thursday evening (which is Matins of Holy Friday) - 12 Gospel readings all focused on the Passion and Crucifixion.  All the readings come from the traditional 4 gospels (i.e. not from the Diatessaron), but there could have been a confusion on the student's part...
The student may have just been referring to gospel harmonies in general rather than the specific Diatesseron.

If that's the case, then the Orthodox do have Gospel readings in Holy Week taken from all four Gospels which could be considered Gospel harmonies.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 04:59:17 PM »

What is this?

The student may have just been referring to gospel harmonies in general rather than the specific Diatesseron.

If that's the case, then the Orthodox do have Gospel readings in Holy Week taken from all four Gospels which could be considered Gospel harmonies.

The Diatessaron is not just a Gospel harmony but a Gnostic compilation. I don't think it is used in Syria any more. Blessed Theodoret of Cyrus persuaded those who had them in his diocese to exchange them for the four canonical Gospels.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 10:29:33 PM »

What is this?

The Diatessaron is not just a Gospel harmony but a Gnostic compilation. I don't think it is used in Syria any more. Blessed Theodoret of Cyrus persuaded those who had them in his diocese to exchange them for the four canonical Gospels.

The Diatessaron was arranged by Tatian and he deleted some verses but he did not add any gnostic verses.  The Syrian Church used it litugically until the 5th century and St. Ephraim wrote a commentary on it.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tags: Diatessaron Gospel harmony Syriac Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: