OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:33:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vesting Prayers  (Read 545 times) Average Rating: 0
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« on: October 03, 2011, 09:42:16 PM »

Some thoughts and quick questions for you wonderful people.

Recently, I've been studying about clerical vestments, their historical development, theological significance, etc. Most recently, I've been trying to find information about vesting prayers for deacons and minor orders. My questions are as follows:

1. After a deacon gets a blessing to vest, does he ever recite vesting prayers? Particularly, is there a separate prayer for the orarion?

2. Do minor orders ever recite vesting prayers? That is, readers for the sticharion (when serving in the altar) and subdeacons for the stichar and orar?

3. Can/should blessed altar servers, who aren't tonsured, recite a blessing prayer for the stichar?

I appreciate any and all insights. Thanks a million!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 10:00:06 PM »

1. Yes.  For the orarion the current texts have no prayer.  In the Old Rite the deacon prays:  "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord of Sabaoth, heaven and earth are full of His glory" when donning the orarion.

2. I see no reason why they can't even though it isn't mentioned.  

3. Same as above.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:01:51 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: