OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:22:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens in Old Calendar holy sites on New Calendar Feast Days?  (Read 946 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« on: September 28, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »

Let's use the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem as an example. It's under the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, an Old Calendar Jurisdiction. What happens on the New Calendar Christmas? Is some New Calendar jurisdiction allowed to celebrate Christmas in the Church?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 08:13:06 PM »

Let's use the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem as an example. It's under the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, an Old Calendar Jurisdiction. What happens on the New Calendar Christmas? Is some New Calendar jurisdiction allowed to celebrate Christmas in the Church?
I dunno, but I can't imagine a New Calendar church walking in and wanting to celebrate nativity there. It wouldn't seem appropriate to "waltz" for lack of a better term to another jurisdiction and not celebrate it when they do. At least in my mind. I guess it would be the whole "when in Rome" thing. Smiley I know that's probably not very helpful.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:18:26 PM »

I suppose, but I figure it wouldn't exactly be just "waltzing" in. Someone with the Patriarch of Constantinople, for example, could call and ask the Patriarch of Jerusalem's permission to celebrate Christmas in the Church in which Christmas occurred.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:46:32 PM »

I was at the Church of the Nativity for Armenian Christmas (celebrated there on January 19th), and for the Greeks and Catholics, it was the same schedule as usual.  We Armenians were out of the Grotto at like 2AM, and the Greeks were immediately in there for their mandated time. 

Because the various communities have separate altars and chapels, the only real problems are for the shared sites, which are mandated by the Status Quo anyway.  For the most part, the Status Quo has things scheduled so precisely that differences in calendar feasts just plug into the time you're allotted, and the other communities will just stand around suspiciously to make sure no one oversteps their boundaries or their time. 
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 08:54:32 PM »

I wonder if one of the reasons why the Jerusalem Patriarchate stays on the Old Calendar is so that it doesn't have to duke it out with the Catholics for shared spaces on feast days.

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 09:09:53 PM »

I suppose, but I figure it wouldn't exactly be just "waltzing" in. Someone with the Patriarch of Constantinople, for example, could call and ask the Patriarch of Jerusalem's permission to celebrate Christmas in the Church in which Christmas occurred.
I just can't see them doing that. It wouldn't seem like something they would do. If they wanted to celebrate the feast, why couldn't they celebrate it with the Old Calendar faithful in their jurisdiction? Wink

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 03:36:21 AM »

The visiting HIerarchs celebrate with the hosts according to hosts' rite, calendar, usage, language and whatever.

I wonder if one of the reasons why the Jerusalem Patriarchate stays on the Old Calendar is so that it doesn't have to duke it out with the Catholics for shared spaces on feast days.

I was told that was the main reason.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 06:52:21 AM »

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Resurrection of Christ, functions under an agreement dating back to the Ottoman days, that regulates which denomination will celebrate where and when.  I imagine the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem also probably has a similar agreement, but I'm only guessing about that.

In fact, as an inquiry above suspects, the Patriarchate of Jerusalem officially wrote to the Pan-Orthodox Congress of 1923 hosted by the Ecumenical Patriarchate, advising that it could not consider adopting the New Calendar because of the effect it would have on its agreement with the Roman Catholics, the Armenian Apostolic Church, etc.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 06:18:51 PM »

Yes, the Nativity complex (There are two Churches, The Byzantine Church of the Nativity and the Latin Church of St. Catherine, plus the Grotto) is governed by the same status quo that governs the Church of the Resurrection.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 06:14:31 AM »

I think the Patriarchate of Jerusalem observes the traditional Julian Orthodox calendar along with the Russian, Serbian and Georgian Churches precisely because it is the Church Calendar.  The New Calendar 'Revised Julian' is at best an innovation and like the monasteries of Mt Athos, one would expect to see the highest standards of Orthodoxy maintained in the Holy Land.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 08:26:50 AM »

I think the Patriarchate of Jerusalem observes the traditional Julian Orthodox calendar along with the Russian, Serbian and Georgian Churches precisely because it is the Church Calendar.  The New Calendar 'Revised Julian' is at best an innovation and like the monasteries of Mt Athos, one would expect to see the highest standards of Orthodoxy maintained in the Holy Land.

Oh brother....I would hate to interject a bit of 'realpolitik', but the three party agreement regarding the sharing of the Holy Sites would be tough to handle if Jerusalem were RJK. The various monks fight enough as it is......Besides, with Greece and much of Western Europe and the America's on the RJK, it gives  pilgrims with cash a chance to 'double dip' -oops- 'real' world in the way again.... Wink
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 01:06:36 PM »

I don't know this is what happened in 2008 there when they try to get together http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgiPJttZmnI&feature=related
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: