OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 12:55:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: difficulty with insurance company  (Read 592 times) Average Rating: 0
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« on: September 28, 2011, 12:20:30 PM »

My wife was supposed to have back fusion surgery yesterday.  Less than 24 hours before, we found out that insurance has denied it as not medically necessary, even though her doctor says this is what she needs.  Her doctor is fighting their response, and so is she, but please pray that the rescheduled surgery for tomorrow at 2:30 PM ET happens.  Her pain is getting much worse and we need to get something done.  Thank you.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 12:36:25 PM »

Lord have mercy!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 01:41:22 PM »

Lord have mercy!

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 01:44:06 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Hang in there, this is what they do... I had spine surgery and after approving it they denied it so while I was recovering had to be fighting the insurance company and dealing with the hospital who wanted payment.  Even though I had the original letter proving someone said it would be covered, it took months to work its way through the system. I think this is standard operating procedures, someone must get a bonus for the number of claims they reject.   And, after another hospitalization, mistakes were made so I had to call and call and call and get things to be reprocessed.

If you can find their policy (maybe on their online website?) on what they deem medically necessary, look at the list and start gathering documented proof.  Chances are a different claims adjuster will look at it, but you should know first what must be documented in order for them to say it is medically necessary.  Unfortunately this is what you have to do, stay calm and work through the system.   We'll all be praying for you and your wife!
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:54:57 PM »

Lord have mercy!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 09:57:36 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 11:04:36 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 11:09:19 PM »

May I ask what insurance company is this?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 12:56:40 AM »

Lord have mercy!  Please keep us updated.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 01:39:42 AM »

I hope this doesn't come across as flippant, but I find that in such situations, angry letters written in a hyper-formal tone and vaguely threatening legal action tend to do the trick.

Lord, have mercy on your handmaiden!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Paisius
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 02:32:19 PM »

It is a "colorful" insurance company who seems to have no one working for them but voice mail systems. Smiley

They denied the doctor's review, so she filed an emergency appeal, included what little info we had here at home to backup our position, and she emailed the coordinator (who hands it off to the neurosurgeon) an awesome letter showing peer-reviewed information as to why this surgery should be approved; pleading to his heart (she's stuck in bed 95% of the time and the pain meds don't work as well anymore), saying she will lose her job and not be able to attend her son's HS graduation in May (all of which is of course true); and that this surgery is going to have to be done eventually, so the surgeon was trying to avoid complications by doing too many surgeries and having so much scar tissue.  At the bottom of the letter, she mentioned we are willing to pursue all avenues necessary, including to the state, and also getting legal advice.  My wife used to be a paralegal student, so she has several contacts, and she's already working through that as she can be up and about.

We are *supposed* to have the results of her appeal late tomorrow afternoon (but you know how that goes), and the doctor is supposed to be urgently appealing as well, although we don't have an update on that yet.

Please continue to pray for us.  She has an appt w her surgeon on Wed to discuss the next steps (assuming none of this works), but she's starting to really give up hope.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
Stephanos Nikolaos

Faith: Pre-Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Currently OCA

Hosanna in the highest!

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 07:11:43 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 01:18:21 AM »

Lord have mercy!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 01:31:25 AM »

LORD have mercy!
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 02:05:50 AM »

Lord have mercy!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 02:51:59 AM »

Sorry if I asked what health insurance you have, personally I asked the question because I'm shopping for individual insurance myself.

Lord have mercy!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Phoenix73
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 06:16:40 AM »

Lord Have Mercy
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 08:10:23 AM »

Still praying, here. Lord have mercy. I hope something comes through for your wife.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: