OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 05:17:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was controversial when you were growing up?  (Read 1666 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2011, 01:09:23 AM »

The Big Bang Theory

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2011, 02:29:36 AM »

I love that show.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
SDMPNS
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2011, 05:02:32 AM »

long hair on men and supported the war in Vietnam as well as civil Rights for all Americans...
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2011, 06:04:38 AM »

I had friends who weren't allowed to watch Scooby Doo because of "ghosts" and such. Even though at the end we always found out they weren't really ghosts....   Huh

My parents wouldn't for the life of me allow me to watch Sailor Moon after we went Pentecostal.  Undecided (That has long since changed.) I loved that show.
It's funny because in the Scooby Doo features they make now, the ghosts are really lol. And Scrappy is a villain...

We weren't allowed to watch Sailor Moon after a certain point either.

I have similar stories to others: no D&D, no MTV, no Simpsons, no He-man, etc.

Also, we weren't allowed to listen to rap. While I was not forbidden other music per se, my parents discouraged it and raised me on oldies. I'm actually graetful for this because to this day I prefer the Beattles and the Moody Blues and Classical music to most anything else on the radio.

No fantasy other than Lewis and Tolkein as well as a smattering of things my folks happened to like such as the Dark Crystal and Willow. To this day, I don't understand how I was able to have Pokemon. Also, nothing about vampires whatsoever. That show Gargoyles was allowed for some reason as well.

King of the Hill

No shooting or fighting games beyond a certain level of nonrealism.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2011, 06:05:48 AM »

I couldn't watch WWF as a kid after I took my sister in a headlock and bodyslammed her...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2011, 09:32:38 AM »

I couldn't watch WWF as a kid after I took my sister in a headlock and bodyslammed her...

Your life was probably more fulfilling after being banned from WWF...and I'm sure if your sister survived her's was as well.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: