OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 01:33:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Orthodox church to be built in Warsaw, Poland- first in a century  (Read 1261 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: September 27, 2011, 07:35:54 PM »

The Polish Orthodox Church will soon see an event that has not happened since the early 1900s. Plans are underway to build a new church in Warsaw, which will make it the third Orthodox parish overall in the city.

From the article:
Several proposals have been mooted over the last two years, as regards the location of the new house of worship. However, clashes with other projects, or a lack of suitable infrastructure, caused those plans to fall by the wayside.

However, the archbishop's office is confident that the current option – which has not provoked any problems - will bear fruit. The plot, which covers about half a hectare is currently owned by the city.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:36:28 PM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 03:24:46 AM »

It will be nice if it happens. Currently all 6 Warsaw Churches and Chapels are in the northern part of the city.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:05:22 PM »

There will be one more Church built (propably even sooner than the aforementioned one) - the Military Ordinariate Cathedral.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:05:33 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:14:18 PM »

Good to hear!  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »

I hope it will be built, beacause there we have only two "real" churches - the rest are chapels which have parishional functions. However, some people protest against the construction of any orthodox church in Warsaw; as Michał quoted, for the first of these new churches there were several proposals. For the Military Ordinate firstly it was proposed also another location, close to the main airport of Warsaw (beacause it's military terrain), but somebody said "it would be inappropriate if the first building that arriving people saw would be an orthodox church". There were also another stupid commentaries. It looks like some Warsaw citizens don't care that some Orthodox have a vast distance to the nearest church.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:47:49 PM »

Actually I also don't see the point in maintaining a virtual diocese with no faithful using state money.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:48:13 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Byron
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Nationalist

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:27:26 PM »

I hope it will be built, beacause there we have only two "real" churches - the rest are chapels which have parishional functions. However, some people protest against the construction of any orthodox church in Warsaw; as Michał quoted, for the first of these new churches there were several proposals. For the Military Ordinate firstly it was proposed also another location, close to the main airport of Warsaw (beacause it's military terrain), but somebody said "it would be inappropriate if the first building that arriving people saw would be an orthodox church". There were also another stupid commentaries. It looks like some Warsaw citizens don't care that some Orthodox have a vast distance to the nearest church.

What a stupid comment - how many people in the general population can tell apart an Orthodox from a Catholic church?

Well in a few years they'll be wishing it was Orthodox churches being built instead of Mosques and Minarets.....

I. Metaxas - 4th of August Regime

"Country, Loyalty, Family and Religion".

Nationalism, Monarchy, Family and Orthodoxy.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 12:46:26 AM »

No, they care a great deal.  That's the idea: making the Orthodox go far (away) to their Church.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 03:53:51 AM »

Well in a few years they'll be wishing it was Orthodox churches being built instead of Mosques and Minarets.....

Poland is one of the most if not the most homogenous countries in Europe.  Take your racist scare mongering elsewhere. 
Byron
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 04:54:47 AM »

Poland is one of the most if not the most homogenous countries in Europe.  Take your racist scare mongering elsewhere.  

Get stuffed you Russophobe. Your anti-Russian positions have been firmly established. Maybe you should take your prejudices elsewhere.

Greece, Italy, Spain were also homogenous countries (Europeans) less than 20 years ago. Demographics change especially when traitors like you sit back and welcome in Islamic hordes with open arms.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:00:54 AM by Byron » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 05:06:27 AM »

What a stupid comment - how many people in the general population can tell apart an Orthodox from a Catholic church?

If you mean a difference between an Orthodox and Roman Catholic - 99%.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 05:52:44 AM »

Actually I also don't see the point in maintaining a virtual diocese with no faithful using state money.

Well, the issue of Military cathedral is another problem - it's probably less necessary than a normal parishional church, but, firstly, there are some people who attend military chapel, secondly, it could show to the society that Orthodox are part of Poland - some think Orthodox Military cathedral will be for Russians soldiers (there were such commentaries). Futhermore, The Polish Orthodox Ordinariate will give some money for the construction.

In Poland the architecture of Orthodox and Catholic church is very diffrent so people distinguish them without any problems.

Unfortunately, in Warsaw there are in construction two new mosques. There were protests against the first one, but not a lot of people heard about the second one. Statistics say that there are much less muslims thatn Orthodox in Warsaw, so I don't see the point in the protests against a christian temple.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 06:02:10 AM »

there are some people who attend military chapel,

How many of them are soldiers that are unable to attend normal parishes?

Futhermore, The Polish Orthodox Ordinariate will give some money for the construction.

The state will give 85% of the needed amount of money.

Unfortunately, in Warsaw there are in construction two new mosques. There were protests against the first one, but not a lot of people heard about the second one.

Why the Orthodox should be allowed to build their temples and Muslims shouldn't?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 06:52:40 AM »

How many of them are soldiers that are unable to attend normal parishes?

To tell the truth, I don't know. I only know some non-soldries who attend this chapel Wink so I have no idea of proportions there

Why the Orthodox should be allowed to build their temples and Muslims shouldn't?

I don't say Muslims shouldn't be allowed to build their temples; I only want an equal treating. Of course, personally I think it's better to allow to build a christian temple than a muslim one.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 08:28:11 AM »

Poland is one of the most if not the most homogenous countries in Europe.  Take your racist scare mongering elsewhere.  

Get stuffed you Russophobe. Your anti-Russian positions have been firmly established. Maybe you should take your prejudices elsewhere.

Greece, Italy, Spain were also homogenous countries (Europeans) less than 20 years ago. Demographics change especially when traitors like you sit back and welcome in Islamic hordes with open arms.

Nice try.  I speak fluent Russian, speak only Russian at home and live in one of the most Russophone areas outside of Russia.  I even attend an UOC-MP parish.  If your definition of russophobia is not liking jingoism and the current policies of the Kremlin, then something close to the majority of Russians would be russophobes. 
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 08:36:56 AM »

If your definition of russophobia is not liking jingoism and the current policies of the Kremlin, then something close to the majority of Russians would be russophobes. 

Shocked Хав кан иу сеЫ зет абаут холй Рашя Huh
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 08:45:03 AM »

If your definition of russophobia is not liking jingoism and the current policies of the Kremlin, then something close to the majority of Russians would be russophobes. 

Shocked Хав кан иу сеЫ зет абаут холй Рашя Huh

Shhh... Holy Russia is just a myth.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 09:30:35 AM »

To tell the truth, I don't know. I only know some non-soldries who attend this chapel Wink so I have no idea of proportions there

According to its statute its faithful are soldiers, their families, civil employees of the Army, students of military schools and patients of military hospitals and other institutions. So it looks like it does not meet its statutory tasks.

And chaplains still have officers' wages.

I don't say Muslims shouldn't be allowed to build their temples; I only want an equal treating.

Me too. There is no single mosque in Warsaw.

Of course, personally I think it's better to allow to build a christian temple than a muslim one.

Why?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:32:36 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »

They have a mosque. Well, some call it "the building of prayer". I know that for their feasts it is full, but generally not (one of my friends is muslim). I understand they need a one "real", roomy temple. But why at once two?

Why?

The answer is easy. I'm against any kind of islamization. In Poland islam is being slowly introduced, but that's another topic. I also want equal treating of christians and muslims in cradle christian countries, such as Egypt.

To end, if there is a necessity to build a mosque, we should agree because of tolerance and justice. But construction of a new Orthodox church can't be a problem too.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 03:24:13 PM »

They have a mosque.

In a detached house.

I understand they need a one "real", roomy temple. But why at once two?

Maybe one is not enough? At least they don't built temples for colour parties.

In Poland islam is being slowly introduced, but that's another topic.

Very slowly since it is in Poland since XV century.

I also want equal treating of christians and muslims in cradle christian countries, such as Egypt.

That's not a Christian attitude.

But construction of a new Orthodox church can't be a problem too.

Most of the protesters protest against:

a) the fact it'll be built in the only one park in Southern Śródmieście
b) the fact it'll built using state money

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:25:16 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 04:02:10 PM »

I also want equal treating of christians and muslims in cradle christian countries, such as Egypt.

That's not a Christian attitude.

Why? It is not any revenge, I just would like normal life and laws for our brothers and sisters.

Most of the protesters protest against:

a) the fact it'll be built in the only one park in Southern Śródmieście
b) the fact it'll built using state money

I agree with this that localization could be better and using state money to build any temple is not the best idea. The only reason in this case is that it's more conneced with represenatative and military functions. I'm not to judge what to do. I only notice that there have been and still exist problems with contruction of an Orthodox church in Warsaw because of difficult history. There were also protests against this church which (hopefully) will be build in Ursynow and it took years to make a decision. I have the impression (maybe not right) it's easier for muslims to build a mosque, than for christians of other denominations than catholicism to build a church. Especially for Orthodox because people connect our presence with Russian imperialism or something similar.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 04:09:17 PM »

I have the impression (maybe not right) it's easier for muslims to build a mosque, than for christians of other denominations than catholicism to build a church. Especially for Orthodox because people connect our presence with Russian imperialism or something similar.

Attacking groups that have even weaker position won't help us.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Byron
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »

If you mean a difference between an Orthodox and Roman Catholic - 99%.

I'm talking about the average Canadian, American, Western European - they are ignorant.

Most haven't got a clue what an Ortodox church looks like let alone the difference between Catholic and Orthodox churches.

Are they worried about tourists seeing an Orthodox church when landing in Warsaw or their own citizens?

Byron
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »

They have a mosque. Well, some call it "the building of prayer". I know that for their feasts it is full, but generally not (one of my friends is muslim). I understand they need a one "real", roomy temple. But why at once two?

Why?

The answer is easy. I'm against any kind of islamization. In Poland islam is being slowly introduced, but that's another topic. I also want equal treating of christians and muslims in cradle christian countries, such as Egypt.

To end, if there is a necessity to build a mosque, we should agree because of tolerance and justice. But construction of a new Orthodox church can't be a problem too.

Dominika, its great that you are against Islamisation. Once it starts in your country it is a rapid slippery slope downhill. Look at France, Holland and Germany and the problems their societies are having since they opened their borders to uncontrolled migration.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 08:02:11 PM »

So Byron - you've responded to other posts in this thread but not mine.  So admit that you indulged in ad hominem and incorrectly called me a russophobe or actually respond to my post. 
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 08:07:22 PM »

Why?

Dominika, its great that you are against Islamisation. Once it starts in your country it is a rapid slippery slope downhill. Look at France, Holland and Germany and the problems their societies are having since they opened their borders to uncontrolled migration.
Their problems started when they stopped going to church and started to kill their children (someone has to work to keep society going).     If they had kept going to church and not started to abort their future, they wouldn't be having these problems.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 09:57:47 PM »

A had a job offer for Warsaw awhile back, but I may be tempted on looking for another with this news..

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »

A had a job offer for Warsaw awhile back, but I may be tempted on looking for another with this news..

We are waiting.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »

Why?

Their problems started when they stopped going to church and started to kill their children (someone has to work to keep society going).     If they had kept going to church and not started to abort their future, they wouldn't be having these problems.

Indeed, narcissism as the cause of death of the leisure class. Well, we had three kids so we did our part!
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 02:30:32 PM »

Why?

While my view on islam as a religion is not exactly positive, this is actually not the case everywhere in Europe.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Tags: Poland  Warsaw Polish Orthodox Church Polish 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: