OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 02:32:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Once Again  (Read 660 times) Average Rating: 0
brandb

« on: September 27, 2011, 05:14:52 PM »

I am facing more opposition at home. My mother brought up Orthodoxy this morning and has demanded that I stop using the internet to research/be involved with anything or anyone related to it (which means Oc.net would definitely have to go  Sad ). I have told her before I would never adhere to that. Being barred from visiting a Orthodox parish is all that I can handle- I'd rather not live out the next year or two (which is when I'll be stable enough to move out) in total isolation.

Please pray for me, a sinner.

Edit

My mom called me a convert... Too bad it doesn't actually count in the Church.  Undecided
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:21:23 PM by brandb » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

My advice would most likely contradict others, but for what it's worth, I would continue in your journey somehow. You seem to be of adult age, and I think it's ridiculous that she's still monitoring your Internet use.

But I have dealt with parents who are very unhappy with conversion in my life and it's a very difficult and trying time, and it certainly makes you think about the "Honor thy mother and father" commandment over and over again. But I personally do not believe that honoring them and not converting would only hurt me spiritually. I will defer to what others more experienced have to say, but hold on. We seem to come from a similar background, so PM me if you want to talk anytime.

Liora

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
brandb

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:23:59 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

My advice would most likely contradict others, but for what it's worth, I would continue in your journey somehow. You seem to be of adult age, and I think it's ridiculous that she's still monitoring your Internet use.

But I have dealt with parents who are very unhappy with conversion in my life and it's a very difficult and trying time, and it certainly makes you think about the "Honor thy mother and father" commandment over and over again. But I personally do not believe that honoring them and not converting would only hurt me spiritually. I will defer to what others more experienced have to say, but hold on. We seem to come from a similar background, so PM me if you want to talk anytime.

Liora

Thank you. (My mom keeps throwing that commandment around so much it makes my head hurt.)
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:25:47 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Hang in there!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 06:25:31 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy.

Are you 18 or over? If so, at home you can obey her, but at school or at the library, you can use the Internet there.

When I was living at home and my mom did not want me to go to church, I would take a lengthy walk and pray.
I needed to pray to keep my sanity.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 06:37:16 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 07:23:28 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Liora

Thank you. (My mom keeps throwing that commandment around so much it makes my head hurt.)

I've often wondered how we as Christians should live out both "Honor Thy Father and Mother"  and Christ's words "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me"  ?? 

Brandi, you are in a difficult situation.  I wish I had some words of wisdom.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 07:25:21 PM »

Lord have mercy!

when children pray for their parents , with love for their spiritual well being, these kind of prayers certainly will be heard by the Lord, pray for your mother, i have seen conversions happen in the least expected people due to these kind of prayers.  parents who have strayed from the Faith have returned, just as children who have strayed have returned,so keep praying.And if you can not use the internet while at home, it is a great time to take out a library card and read books by Orthodox authors, in reading these books you will use your time to strengthen your faith from those that explain the faith, and those that manifest it through the example of their lives and prayers that will help you get closer to the Lord.
and while you are in the library you also can use the internet to benefit from this great forum as I do.so do not be discouraged my dear sister.May the Lord have mercy on you and your family!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 07:48:07 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Liora

I've often wondered how we as Christians should live out both "Honor Thy Father and Mother"  and Christ's words "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me"  ?? 

Luke 12:52 might assist: "for from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three."

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »

Tell her to go jump in a lake. You're 22 years old, she has no right to force you to not research something.

You're in my prayers.
brandb

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 08:35:51 PM »

Luke 12:52 might assist: "for from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three."

I mentioned both of those passages- neither of them went over well. I do find them kind of encouraging though.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 08:37:52 PM »

I think that using those against your parents will only make them angrier. They sure infuriated mine. :-/ But I kept them in mind as I went to church and continued standing firm in my faith. But I know it's not easy, and the constant guilt trips are the worst of it.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
brandb

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 08:41:39 PM »

Lord have mercy!

when children pray for their parents , with love for their spiritual well being, these kind of prayers certainly will be heard by the Lord, pray for your mother, i have seen conversions happen in the least expected people due to these kind of prayers.  parents who have strayed from the Faith have returned, just as children who have strayed have returned,so keep praying.And if you can not use the internet while at home, it is a great time to take out a library card and read books by Orthodox authors, in reading these books you will use your time to strengthen your faith from those that explain the faith, and those that manifest it through the example of their lives and prayers that will help you get closer to the Lord.
and while you are in the library you also can use the internet to benefit from this great forum as I do.so do not be discouraged my dear sister.May the Lord have mercy on you and your family!

Yes, definitely- I do have a library card and we live down the street from a library, so I've considered this as a last resort. And I will continue praying for myself and my family. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement! Smiley
brandb

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 08:45:38 PM »

I think that using those against your parents will only make them angrier. They sure infuriated mine. :-/ But I kept them in mind as I went to church and continued standing firm in my faith. But I know it's not easy, and the constant guilt trips are the worst of it.

Yep. Exactly what happened. I won't be doing anything like that again.  Undecided
brandb

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 08:50:08 PM »

I feel exactly like this. (I'm 22, by the way.)

Again, everyone, thanks for you prayers and encouragement.  Smiley
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 11:10:27 PM »

I feel exactly like this. (I'm 22, by the way.)

Again, everyone, thanks for you prayers and encouragement.  Smiley
You should come on chat if you want to talk to Fr. George!

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 11:18:23 PM »

I'm not suggesting she ask to provoke her parents.  I'm seriously curious.

Good luck to you Brandi.  I do understand that it is their home and they need to have some ground rules, but you're not 13 and this just seems like their trying to control your thoughts too.  It's not like you're bringing men back to the house to spend the night or having drug parties in your room or something.  It is sad to me that, by their actions, your parents seem to be putting a wedge between you and them.

Although I know the economy is pretty stinky, I hope you are able to move out much sooner than 2yrs from now.
Stephanos Nikolaos

Faith: Pre-Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Currently OCA

Hosanna in the highest!

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 11:43:43 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

If you need any moral support or someone just to talk to, feel free to PM or Email me. =)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 11:43:54 PM by Stephanos Nikolaos » Logged

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
brandb

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 02:08:52 AM »

I'm not suggesting she ask to provoke her parents.  I'm seriously curious.

Good luck to you Brandi.  I do understand that it is their home and they need to have some ground rules, but you're not 13 and this just seems like their trying to control your thoughts too.  It's not like you're bringing men back to the house to spend the night or having drug parties in your room or something.  It is sad to me that, by their actions, your parents seem to be putting a wedge between you and them.

Although I know the economy is pretty stinky, I hope you are able to move out much sooner than 2yrs from now.

I hope so too. Which is why I'm looking into grad schools. Wink

Lord, have mercy.

If you need any moral support or someone just to talk to, feel free to PM or Email me. =)

Thank you. Smiley
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 04:57:30 AM »

Lord, have mercy!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: