OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 08:14:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turkish Govt Text Books distorts History  (Read 666 times) Average Rating: 0
dhinuus
Elder

« on: September 27, 2011, 04:42:46 PM »

The 10th grade text books in Turkey distorts the History around the First World War.  The text book reads:
"It is said a so–called Syriac genocide was committed in 1915. The Syriacs became a party to World War I by supporting the Russians. Conflict with the Syriacs occurred under the circumstances of war. As such, there is no genocide to speak of. Syriacs have conducted their religious and social activities without facing any problems.  Syriacs who have emigrated abroad in particular have become instruments in the hands of the political and religious interests of [Western] states so that they can [share] in their economic prosperity

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=syriacs-dispute-claims-in-school-history-book-2011-09-26

NULL
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 04:47:23 PM »

Why am I not surprised. All powers that be like to present themselves and their history in a positive light.

Hey, they want to prevent a revolution, so it serves their best interest to recreate history in their own image.

I am praying for their conversion. Smiley

It would be great if some Muslim converts to Orthodoxy could preach it and help convert the world to Christianity.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:48:45 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:48:41 PM »

When will the Turks ever face up to the evil they committed? How do they ever think they can move forward without it?

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Shant

Faith: Armenian Apostolic (Orthodox)
Jurisdiction: Eastern Prelacy (U.S.)

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 04:50:45 PM »

What, did anyone think they would limit their lying to just about the Armenians?
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 07:27:26 PM »

Most governments distort history in the textbooks they sponsor. The Turks just have more to hide than most.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 07:54:24 PM »

SURPRISE!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Paisius
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Reframed

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:09:53 PM »

Most governments distort history in the textbooks they sponsor. The Turks just have more to hide than most.

Which makes me wonder why in the world anyone gives their children to the government to be educated. But that's for another thread.  Cool

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 11:17:10 PM »

if the Syrians did not have an alphabet of their own scribes of their own, if the Turks did not knock a few more doors besides the Syrians, and those people behind those doors did not have the alphabet of their own and in turn recorded their version of history , if those that are still under the Turks  had a better story to tell about them, may be in such a parallel universe we might have believed this and stopped quoting Calgacus  ' Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant/To ravage, to slaughter, to usurp under false titles, they call empire; and where they make a desert, they call it peace.''

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 12:55:46 AM »

I wouldn't hold anything against them since every country does the same. When I was in school, I never learned about the Trail of Tears or any of the other horrible atrocities the United States committed against the American Indians. It was totally skipped when I was in school and I didn't learn about them until college.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 01:03:32 AM »

I wouldn't hold anything against them since every country does the same. When I was in school, I never learned about the Trail of Tears or any of the other horrible atrocities the United States committed against the American Indians. It was totally skipped when I was in school and I didn't learn about them until college.
Indeed it is the way of the world, yet sometimes when we hear certain things its difficult not to react to the audacious fabrications and selective amnesia. although I tell myself not to.  Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 09:11:24 AM »

I submit that the difference is that the United States and the majority of other Western countries have since faced up to many of their historical atrocities. Turkey has not, and continues to persecute and harass those who do, especially from its own polity (i.e., the 2005 persecution of writer Orhan Pamuk for his statements on the Armenian genocide). While it does not erase the harm done by the past actions, there is something to be said for facing up to the reality of your own history, rather than hiding behind denial and outright lies.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 12:40:14 PM »

But in the end, you DID learn the sad truth here.
Turkey is actively white-washing their history even to the point of influence in American universities. They are banking on the generational amnesia to cleanse their past sins, which will not happen as long as these crimes continue to occur, albeit in lesser degree.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 01:41:53 PM »

But in the end, you DID learn the sad truth here.
Turkey is actively white-washing their history even to the point of influence in American universities. They are banking on the generational amnesia to cleanse their past sins, which will not happen as long as these crimes continue to occur, albeit in lesser degree.
big time: plenty of Turkophiles running around American universities.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »

There is a difference. You didn't learn about the Trail of Tears but there was nothing preventing it had a teacher decided to do a lesson on it during a relevent unit. Additionally you did learn about it in college.

In Turkey it is not only forbidden to teach it, but to talk about it. You can be put in prison for talking about it. Additionally nations which have said it happened have had an immediate drop in relations with Turkey.

Here's an experiment: Go into a police station and start engaging them in a discussion on the Trail of Tears. Worst case scenario they'll ask you to leave for being annoying.
Go to a police station in Turkey and start talking to them about the Armenian Genocide. You'll be spending at least a night in jail.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »

Go to a police station in Turkey and start talking to them about the Armenian Genocide. You'll be spending at least a night in jail.  (quote from oanother poster)

I bet Midnight Express would look lenient compared to what one might face for this.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:48:20 PM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »

big time: plenty of Turkophiles running around American universities.
Whose chairs are being endowed by...  Guess who...  The Turkish government.

Honestly, if I got worked up about this stuff anymore, I'd be taking years off my life.  At some point, Turkey will atone.  Until then, the completely obvious farce will continue.  No amount of hand-wringing in the Armenian Diaspora is going to change anything.  And, yes, I know that's an extremely cynical way to approach it.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: