OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 03:14:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox who have converted from Pentecostalism  (Read 3929 times) Average Rating: 0
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »

True, David sung Psalms with musical instruments however MAYBE this was not worship. I am 100% behind this, protestants try as much as possible to please God, however they don't know how. Protestantism may be a punishment, I mean moving to it from Orthodoxy of first 1000 years when all Europe was orthodox. Defending it means defending punishment means defending a Christianity WITHOUT food for eternal life John 6:53-54, baptism of children, confession etc. Speaking for orthodoxy means to ask for punishment to end. History is a valid science and 2000 years of historical documents even if not inspired by God, can shed the light on how to please God. Pastors can become orthodox priests and give full christianity to their people if 50% christianity is beautifull 100% is awesome.

pasadi97, maybe this was not worship, maybe it was praise like the bible says it was.
As far as your remarks about Protestantism - i am stunned, yes stunned and even amazed, at how you link your thoughts. You are able to somehow integrate random statements of fact (and sometimes imagination) and make them seem as though they belong in the same paragraph!

Try telling a small child that dancing when they listen to music, is wrong. No one has to tell or show a toddler to move when they hear music, it's as natural as walking.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2011, 02:02:44 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

If David's "celebration" is to be considered standard practice for how we are to worship God, then why didn't Jews do away with all their rituals etc. and instead follow David's example? Probably because God told them how to worship.  So why should we as Christians be expected to use David's example to model our worship after if even the Jews didn't? Certainly, Christ didn't tell us to.

I don't know about y'all,but within the Ethiopian Orthodox Tradition we precisely keep the worship traditions of King David in all of our celebrations, hymns, festivals, processions, pilgrimage marches, parades, etc etc..
Mahalet Yared
True we are making a specific distinction between Divine Liturgy of the Holy Offering and other worship and liturgical celebrations, however in here there is a shade of grey, before the solemn Divine Liturgies on Christmas and Easter, a three hour prayer service called the Mahalet is performed by the non-ordained clergy (debtara), priests, deacons, and choir members who chant and hymn the great hymnals of Saint Yared composed for such occasions, directly inside the Church, before the Altar, with both drum and sistrum and prayer staff and accompanied by a kind of sacred dance.

Oh yeah, and here is the ruckus we've been making in Jerusalemevery year for at least the past 1000 which has never failed and continues to upset some of the more uptight Byzantines and Russians Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2011, 02:06:36 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

If David's "celebration" is to be considered standard practice for how we are to worship God, then why didn't Jews do away with all their rituals etc. and instead follow David's example? Probably because God told them how to worship.  So why should we as Christians be expected to use David's example to model our worship after if even the Jews didn't? Certainly, Christ didn't tell us to.

I don't know about y'all,but within the Ethiopian Orthodox Tradition we precisely keep the worship traditions of King David in all of our celebrations, hymns, festivals, processions, pilgrimage marches, parades, etc etc..
Mahalet Yared
True we are making a specific distinction between Divine Liturgy of the Holy Offering and other worship and liturgical celebrations, however in here there is a shade of grey, before the solemn Divine Liturgies on Christmas and Easter, a three hour prayer service called the Mahalet is performed by the non-ordained clergy (debtara), priests, deacons, and choir members who chant and hymn the great hymnals of Saint Yared composed for such occasions, directly inside the Church, before the Altar, with both drum and sistrum and prayer staff and accompanied by a kind of sacred dance.

Oh yeah, and here is the ruckus we've been making in Jerusalemevery year for at least the past 1000 which has never failed and continues to upset some of the more uptight Byzantines and Russians Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

This is what i'm referring to.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2011, 02:13:15 PM »

Mahalet Yared

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shouldn't such disputed material be discussed elsewhere?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2011, 02:20:53 PM »

Mahalet Yared

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shouldn't such disputed material be discussed elsewhere?

to be fair to habte, I probably had it coming... Wink
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2011, 02:25:50 PM »

Did you find yourself feeling like "your hands were tied" so to speak, after you converted? Did you miss that feeling of "being in the spirit" where u could yell shout, clap, laugh, dance, and do all that stuff?

No way. I never felt comfortable with that kind of stuff. My Pentecostalism was always about doctrines and not that kind of physical worship or experiences. I've always felt more comfortable with more ritualistic worship.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2011, 07:18:09 PM »

Can anyone respond to this using ancient books like Book of Enoch, Cave of Treasuries:
Who invented musical instruments?
Why?
From the OSB, Genesis 4:21: "His brother's name was Jubal. He is the one who invented the psaltery and harp." (SAAS)

We are not told why.

Are there any cultures that do not use instruments and dance for non-religious purposes? (Other than those that may have expressly forbidden them in order to remain separate from the prevailing culture, such as the Puritans.)

I must say I find it strange to chant in our services "Praise Him with the psaltery and harp", yet we are prohibited from doing so. I have had to rationalize that as, "It's OK to use instruments (and dance) in private worship, but not in the corporate liturgical life of the Church in order to avoid excess and scandal."
I think that was actually the original reason for their removal, to avoid resembling the pagan theater and revels.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: