OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:29:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gibbon's take...  (Read 202 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« on: September 27, 2011, 12:31:10 PM »

This morning as I was in my private library (a.k.a. the bathroom) I was reading once again The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire By Gibbon.

I got to the council of Ephesus and now that I am converting to Orthodoxy, I read it in a different light. It seems to me that Gibbon basically drew it as a theological version of the Sharks vs. the Jets (for those who are familiar with West Side Story).

My meaning is that Cyril and Nestorius each brought their gang and that Cyril won out. Almost as if Nestorius' group had been bigger/better that he would have won out.

I'd like thoughts on this. Was Gibbon right in your view or was his view jaded?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 12:39:23 PM »

This morning as I was in my private library (a.k.a. the bathroom) I was reading once again The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire By Gibbon.

I got to the council of Ephesus and now that I am converting to Orthodoxy, I read it in a different light. It seems to me that Gibbon basically drew it as a theological version of the Sharks vs. the Jets (for those who are familiar with West Side Story).

My meaning is that Cyril and Nestorius each brought their gang and that Cyril won out. Almost as if Nestorius' group had been bigger/better that he would have won out.

I'd like thoughts on this. Was Gibbon right in your view or was his view jaded?

PP
Well, from a historian's perspective, Gibbon might have a very good argument. Historians don't assume divine intervention in history -- well, historians at most research universities don't.

But from a divine perspective, things might be a bit more complicated.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: