Author Topic: Raising Children in Sparta  (Read 911 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Raising Children in Sparta
« on: September 27, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »
Though there is much that is commendable about the ways that the ancient Spartans raised their children, one thing I don't understand is why they left their children with the mother till they were seven. Wouldn't this have made it more difficult for both the children and the mother, and created unnecessary tenion and anxiety?
get rekt, nerd

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
Re: Raising Children in Sparta
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 11:08:58 AM »
You forgot "ATTN: Orthonorm" in the title.

I'm going to need this.

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 03:15:56 PM »
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Though there is much that is commendable about the ways that the ancient Spartans raised their children, one thing I don't understand is why they left their children with the mother till they were seven. Wouldn't this have made it more difficult for both the children and the mother, and created unnecessary tenion and anxiety?

That is all you can't understand? What about the ritualized pedophilic, homosexual relationships between the generations, and the coerced return to heterosexual marriages, including consummating the marriages by having the girls shave their heads to look like men? ;)

stay blessed
habte selassie
"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 04:56:53 PM »
You forgot "ATTN: Orthonorm" in the title.

I figured orthonorm would have seen the word Sparta in the title and thought to himself "that probably has nothing to to with German philosophy, I can move on to the next thread..."  ;)

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

That is all you can't understand? What about the ritualized pedophilic, homosexual relationships between the generations, and the coerced return to heterosexual marriages, including consummating the marriages by having the girls shave their heads to look like men? ;)

I'm not happy with sexual relations between two intellectually unequal partners (regardless of age), but the shaving I guess I could live with. Though I would shed many tears if I saw it happen to a redhead. However, the Hebrews also shaved the heads of certain girls before marriage as well, though I think it was only the ones that were orphaned after their families were slaughtered and everything they had ever known was destroyed. So really, by comparison (if true) such a Spartan practice would seem almost jolly, right? :) But we're going off topic...

Why not separate the children from their mother once they are on solid foods and are no longer breastfeeding?
get rekt, nerd

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:53:06 AM »

Perhaps, though from all I've read of the Lakedaimonians, they probably didn't give a helot's bum.  Life was struggle.  Newborns were bathed in wine and inspected.  If they appeared weak they were thrown into a pit.  Children were starved and forced to steal food, and punished if they were caught.  They were encouraged to fight amongst themselves.  Their coming of age in the Krypteia had them go out into the wilderness and countryside with no more than a cloak and a dagger to fend for themselves, stealing food from the helots, killing any that were too big for their britches.  Spartan mothers told their husbands and sons "come back with this shield or on it".  I'm sure that if they even registered that there would be tension and anxiety in separating children from their mothers they approved of it.

Three guesses what the focus of my history degree was on!
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 12:55:56 AM »
Clearly on pre-Islamic Mecca, of course.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011