OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 06:57:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What atheists do not believe  (Read 3181 times) Average Rating: 0
Čika-Gliša

Faith: Ex-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-Serbian Church

« on: September 27, 2011, 05:25:28 AM »

I am an online friend of this forum's ex-member Stick Man who you recently banned after he attempted to engage in discussions questioning religion. Like Stick Man, I am an atheist who used to be Orthodox. I was raised in the faith but when I came to form my own opinions, I did not find any truth in the notion that there is a god. But I don't want to write about my background at this point. My friend has asked me to comment on what you wrote to him when you banned him. I understand the source of your conflict (before writing serious posts, he first came to this forum and "trolled" on it under several usernames) and I am not questioning your decision not to allow him to participate any more. I wanted on his behalf to debunk the premise of your comments to him. The moderator wrote this in his last discussion thread:

"Why do you keep returning here? if you are convinced that you were created from nothing and that there is no God, then why do you persist in coming back to a discussion forum that you cannot participate in? It really makes no sense unless you are still unconvinced, despite your earlier statements."

First of all, Stick Man thought he could participate because he had asked the moderators to lift his prior ban and after several months, he tried the forums and he had access to them, so he assumed the ban had been lifted. So he started posting again. His intent was to educate Christians on what we believe to be the truth and in no way to check whether what we believe (that there is no god) is correct. We are both convinced of what we believe in.

Second, and here I speak for both of us, you are wrong as to what we believe. Atheists do not think that we were "created from nothing". We generally believe that nothing was ever created in the first place. We believe that the elements that make up the universe always existed, and that natural processes or forces of the universe have changed their form over time, very gradually evolving into what exists today. When you think about it, that is not so illogical even from a creationist's point of view: the creator that you believe in was never created either but always existed. We simply believe that it is not a creator, but things like atoms, ions, neutrons, etc. that always existed, and that their natural properties are what caused them to form the universe rather than an intelligent creator.

We just wanted you to get your facts straight.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:26:47 AM by Čika-Gliša » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:33:33 AM »

Why is it so imperative that you must "Educate" us? More so what does atheism have to offer?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Čika-Gliša

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:40:47 AM »

Why is it so imperative that you must "Educate" us? More so what does atheism have to offer?

It is so imperative for the same reason that sooner or later, people should learn there is no Easter Bunny. We should base our lives on objective reality, not on fantasies.

Atheism offers truth and the possibility of living a full, free life. It gives one the chance to live well and to the full in the present life and not invest in a fictitious afterlife, undermining enjoyment of the present life.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:41:57 AM »

This is a thread for posterity.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:48:42 AM »

It is so imperative for the same reason that sooner or later, people should learn there is no Easter Bunny. We should base our lives on objective reality, not on fantasies.
And what is objective reality? God's a fantasy?

Atheism offers truth and the possibility of living a full, free life.
Define this full free life for me? How can the Christian not be able to live a full free life?

It gives one the chance to live well and to the full in the present life and not invest in a fictitious afterlife, undermining enjoyment of the present life.
Again define live well and full in the present life.

Undermining enjoyment in this present life because of a belief in an afterlife? That's about to be a straw man soon, if it isn't already.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 05:57:52 AM »

On a side note, my neighbor has been really bothering me lately and is prohibiting me from living well and to the fullest. If I was to kill him this would be entirely permissible since I would then live well, right?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:58:08 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 06:07:18 AM »

Atheism offers truth and the possibility of living a full, free life. It gives one the chance to live well and to the full in the present life and not invest in a fictitious afterlife, undermining enjoyment of the present life.

I have always failed to see how believing in God (excuse me, "fictitious afterlife") causes me to not live my life to the fullest, or enjoying my present life. Truth be told, my life has been more enjoyable and more fulfilling as a Christian than when I was an atheist - I hang out with my friends, I eat, I drink, and I am merry. What more could I possibly want? Promiscuous sex with many partners sans guilt? No, thank you, I'd rather not chance getting a disease, or some one night stand get pregnant. Drug use? Again, no, I have seen the effects of those who gave their life to drugs and they are not happy, nor living a full life. Drinking? I do that already, even when I was Southern Baptist (who strongly oppose alcohol) I drank, and I still do; heck I get free wine every Sunday. I really have nothing holding me back from living a full life, my life is very full and fun!

What truth does atheism offer? That God does not exist? Evolution over creation? Please, I am interested in hearing what truth I can find from atheism, I would like to know what I missed especially as I did not find it when I was an atheist.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:08:22 AM by dcommini » Logged

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 06:43:02 AM »

On a side note, my neighbor has been really bothering me lately and is prohibiting me from living well and to the fullest. If I was to kill him this would be entirely permissible since I would then live well, right?

Exactly. This is what it all boils down to.

If this "Cika Glisa" were truly an atheist, then he/she wouldn't be wasting time on this forum trying to convince others (and actually they're trying to convince themselves) that God does not exist. I have yet to meet an atheist who actually lives according to their worldview. If God does not exist, then neither does morality. In an atheistic universe there is only pleasure, pain, and then death (non-existence). So the most logical thing for the atheist to do would to be calculate how they could amass the greatest amount of pleasure for the longest possible time with the least amount of pain, and then die as quickly and painlessly as possible. But for some reason, these atheists seem curiously consumed with ethics and morality. They sure are willing to put up with a lot of stress, agony, disappointment, and pain in order to prolong their meaningless lives.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 06:51:42 AM »

If this "Cika Glisa" were truly an atheist, then he/she wouldn't be wasting time on this forum trying to convince others (and actually they're trying to convince themselves) that God does not exist. I have yet to meet an atheist who actually lives according to their worldview. If God does not exist, then neither does morality. In an atheistic universe there is only pleasure, pain, and then death (non-existence). So the most logical thing for the atheist to do would to be calculate how they could amass the greatest amount of pleasure for the longest possible time with the least amount of pain, and then die as quickly and painlessly as possible. But for some reason, these atheists seem curiously consumed with ethics and morality. They sure are willing to put up with a lot of stress, agony, disappointment, and pain in order to prolong their meaningless lives.

Selam

Which is why you see atheists clamoring on about Transhumanism/H+; anything to extend earthly pleasures and this life. My thing is once a human achieves immortality on this Earth, wouldn't that suck up any sort of meaning and value from life itself?

Imagine knowing you were going to live forever here, that Big Mac might not taste as good because you won't worry about it not being your last.

Personally I think it would be Hell on Earth to live forever in this current world.

The thing we have to understand with atheists is they can very well be moral people, but my argument is from what basis does morality come from, if there is no objective source then it must entirely be subjective.

If there was no point to life, no after-life, no God, no chance of anything beyond, I personally would have ended my miserable existence years ago.

Thank God for Christ.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 07:07:50 AM »

Pilate asked, "what is truth?" but unlike him I'm willing to give an answer. And that answer is that atheism, at least this kind of atheism, is an adolescent rebellion against the universe. Look, the "Easter bunny" line is as old as the hills, or it would be if the Easter bunny himself were that old. Back when I was (I would guess) your age, the line was about Santa Claus and the tooth fairy. It's not a particularly compelling comparison, not that inclined to argue the difference.

But the whole "objective reality" thing, well, if that kind of objectivity were possible for humans, then we wouldn't be arguing this, but we would already agree. The persistence of disagreement shows that objectivity is the fantasy, more so than the Easter bunny. And a look through 19th century philosophy, not to mention the hammering it took in the early 20th century, shows that the fantastic vision of being able to look at the world and answer all these questions on our own is false to the core.

Well, it does, if you're that kind of person, and especially if you're young, and healthy, and well-off, and have no emotional commitments. Most people lack a bunch of those, which puts a big damper on that enjoyment.
Keble
Archon

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 07:09:15 AM »

I have yet to meet an atheist who actually lives according to their worldview. If God does not exist, then neither does morality. In an atheistic universe there is only pleasure, pain, and then death (non-existence). So the most logical thing for the atheist to do would to be calculate how they could amass the greatest amount of pleasure for the longest possible time with the least amount of pain, and then die as quickly and painlessly as possible.

And the REAL objective morality is that no man is capable of living like that, because no man is capable of that calculation.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »

I have yet to meet an atheist who actually lives according to their worldview. If God does not exist, then neither does morality. In an atheistic universe there is only pleasure, pain, and then death (non-existence). So the most logical thing for the atheist to do would to be calculate how they could amass the greatest amount of pleasure for the longest possible time with the least amount of pain, and then die as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Supposing you are correct, how do you know you haven't met such a person? Maybe part of their calculation is that it'd be best to not talk about how they live with people who would ridicule them Smiley  However, I would suggest that there is a difference between pleasure and happiness, and that it is the latter that everyone (not just atheists) strive for.

Large Marge sent me...
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 10:57:56 AM »

We should base our lives on objective reality, not on fantasies.

Why?

You say that belief in a

fictitious afterlife, [undermines]  enjoyment of the present life.

So are you saying that, contrariwise, basing our lives on objective reality enhances enjoyment?

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 11:08:20 AM »

Since Atheists don't have a god they believe in they follow their own will.

Research "Do what thy wilt shall be the whole of the law".  Look at who said that.

Anton Levey said "The purest form of Satanism is true Atheism."

These guys say this stuff because that is exactly what Satanism is.  It is not about "devil worship".  It is about "becoming God of one's self".  That is exactly what Lucifer did in Isaiah 14.  He cast himself over the thrown of God.

That is why atheism is the growing thing of this day during these end times (coupled with gnosticism which is luciferian).  People are becoming "God's of themselves".  People are following their own will and not God's.

In the end you have two choices.

1) Follow your own will which is what Lucifer did and is Sin - Do what thy wilt.
2) Do as Yeshua commanded us "Thy (God's) will be done.

Atheism is Satanism, whether or not an Atheist believes it - it does not matter.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 11:41:02 AM »

Second, and here I speak for both of us, you are wrong as to what we believe. Atheists do not think that we were "created from nothing". We generally believe that nothing was ever created in the first place. We believe that the elements that make up the universe always existed, and that natural processes or forces of the universe have changed their form over time, very gradually evolving into what exists today. When you think about it, that is not so illogical even from a creationist's point of view: the creator that you believe in was never created either but always existed. We simply believe that it is not a creator, but things like atoms, ions, neutrons, etc. that always existed, and that their natural properties are what caused them to form the universe rather than an intelligent creator.

We just wanted you to get your facts straight.
Its interesting that you think an eternal universe discounts belief in God. In fact, from this very premise, that the universe is eternal and changing, Aristotle demonstrated that God must exist.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Čika-Gliša

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 07:45:58 PM »

Achronos:

"And what is objective reality? God's a fantasy?"

Yes. He is the mythological explanation of primitive peoples (like the ancient Jews) with no knowledge of science to speak of for how the universe came about. There is no compelling evidence that a creator exists. Science has for all practical purposes proven things like evolution, whereas there is no evidence that God exists. So I consider him a fantasy.

"Define this full free life for me? How can the Christian not be able to live a full free life?"

What I'm basically saying is that religious people believe in this omnipotent, omniscient sky goblin who will punish them if they refuse to obey his exceedingly many commands and prohibitions. Atheists are concerned with being moral (I.E. don't hurt other people) but over and above that, have no worries that they have to live a certain rigid, restrictive lifestyle or they will be apostates, go to hell etc. I don't think I need to describe this in detail here, I think you know what I'm talking about. Plus, I think that a devout Christian can be so concerned with focusing on the future life in "God's kingdom" (which I believe does not exist) that living for the present and in some cases noticing the beauty of the world around us can be undermined and take second place.

"On a side note, my neighbor has been really bothering me lately and is prohibiting me from living well and to the fullest. If I was to kill him this would be entirely permissible since I would then live well, right?"

This is just ridiculous. In fact, it is insulting. Atheists are moral people. I am an atheist and I hold to certain moral standards. I don't just do what pleases me at others' cost. You don't need religion to be moral. Morality comes from the necessity to coexist with other people, not from some divine source. In fact, you are saying that without your god, you would be immoral. Doesn't speak too highly about your character, IMO.

Regarding your comment about morality being subjective without a god. Yes, it may be so, but that doesn't mean God exists. It just means that morality is at least partly subjective and that's the way things are. Your wanting there to be an objective morality doesn't mean it exists in fact, only that you want it. The same holds true for your god. BTW, while I agree that morality is largely subjective, there is a lot of common ground. For example, most people agree that it is immoral to steal or murder. This comes from the evolutionary need to have an ordered society.

dcommini:

If you believe you are living a fulfilled life as an Orthodox Christian, well, good for you. But that's not the experience of many other practicing Christians. Religion teaches that all sorts of things are commanded/forbidden (examples: you have to fast, at times strictly, for over half the year. You have to go to church every Sunday and religious holiday if possible. You have to love God. You must not have premarital sex or even masturbate. You must not practice homosexuality. You must forgive people who hurt you...and so on and so forth). If you willfully refuse to do this and many other things, you are damned. Sorry, but this is what the church teaches and there are people who take this seriously and practice it. On the other hand, an atheist, who doesn't believe there is a sky goblin who can punish you for these so-called sins can do what he wants, as long as they don't hurt other people.

The truth that atheism offers is that there is no evidence for God's existence and no reason to believe in him. Disagree with me? Show me the evidence to the contrary.

Gebre Menfes Kidus:

What you are saying has nothing to do with reality. To me it suggests that someone indoctrinated you with lies about what atheism teaches. There is no "atheist world view" that atheists are supposed to adhere to, that there is no morality and that all we care about is pleasure. Atheism does not equal hedonism. We simply don't believe there is a god. Why should that stop us from adhering to what we perceive as moral? Morality can and does exist without God. It comes from the evolutionary need to have peaceful coexistence and a functional society, and similar sociological and psychological things. Oh, and our lives are not meaningless. We find meaning in things of this world (love, sex, food, hobbies, helping others, etc.) and not in things of some perceived other world (God, heaven, whatever).

Keble:

In all that you are writing, you are not providing any evidence that God exists. You are merely stating your psychological reasons for wanting him to exist. Other than your wish for there to be a god, is there any real proof that you can provide to us that he exists?

I think it is most unfortunate that you (and other people) seek meaning of life in a non-existent creator, whereas in truth you can find meaning in your life yourself. Look how you are limiting yourself. You don't need a god to dictate to you what meaning of life is. You can find your own meaning for your life by striving to live your life as you wish and as your conscience dictates.

JLatimer:

I'm not saying that believing in an objective reality enhances enjoyment. I am saying that by focusing on living for a fictitious god and living with a view to a fictitious future life, a Christian (by practicing the obedience and self-denial inherent to practicing Christianity) is missing out on various opportunities to enjoy life in this lifetime.

yeshuaisiam:

Your "two choices" are based on the assumption that Christianity is true. I ask again: what evidence can you give us that God, Satan etc exist? As an atheist, I believe that I have the choice to live diametrically opposite to the teaching of the Christian church, nay, even to actively blaspheme against it, and that nothing evil will happen to me in consequence, because the god I would be blaspheming against and disobeying does not exist. If you have proof that I am wrong, you are welcome to share it.

Papist:

Oh please. The teleological argument? Can you do no better than that? Really. All these "philosophical" arguments for God's existence are arguments from ignorance. How do you know that the elements that make up the universe have not always been moving? The laws of physics say that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. And if there were a "prime mover", how do you know it is an intelligent spirit and not a physical process?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 07:56:25 PM »

About Satanists- a few years ago, there was this clip on TV with a group of self-described Satanists. They had dark clothes, lots of makeup, pierced this and that, and so on. A few even had fake horns implanted in their foreheads. They zoomed in on one guy who said, "We don't really (worship the devil), we're atheists!"  Huh  Shocked Really? If you don't believe in something, why do you have fake horns implanted in your head?!
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 07:58:14 PM »

Inane, inane, inane.

Wake me up after the ban hammer falls.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »

Not only is this incredibly dogmatic (something Atheists insist they aren't), but I've known Atheists who believe in autogenesis.

By the way, I doubt there is anyone who believes you aren't stick man. Wink
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »

About Satanists- a few years ago, there was this clip on TV with a group of self-described Satanists. They had dark clothes, lots of makeup, pierced this and that, and so on. A few even had fake horns implanted in their foreheads. They zoomed in on one guy who said, "We don't really (worship the devil), we're atheists!"  Huh  Shocked Really? If you don't believe in something, why do you have fake horns implanted in your head?!

The Church of Satan is like a dumbed down version of Ayn Rand, which is quite an accomplishment since Ayn Rand is just dumb to start with.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Čika-Gliša

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 08:14:42 PM »

Not only is this incredibly dogmatic (something Atheists insist they aren't), but I've known Atheists who believe in autogenesis.

I didn't say this particular detail was fact. I deliberately used the phrasing "generally believe". I agree with you that some atheists believe in autogenesis.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 08:32:44 PM »

They continue to post not because they aren't convinced of Atheism but rather out of a juvenile form of pride.

Atheist put themselves at the top of the intelligence food chain. In my personal experience, the smartest most well educated people I have ever met have been at Church.

One only needs to look out the window to notice how incredibly well thought through the World is. To beleive that pressure and friction ie "Natural Forces" could bring so much together with such well coordinated synchronicity is nothing more than blindness.  IMHO

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 08:43:34 PM »

I think a lot of the popularity of new school atheism in recent years comes from people who either had some bad experience with church in the past, or just get a kick out of bugging religious people. I was like that for a while. Yeeps. Smiley I'm glad I got out of that.
Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »

They continue to post not because they aren't convinced of Atheism but rather out of a juvenile form of pride.

Atheist put themselves at the top of the intelligence food chain. In my personal experience, the smartest most well educated people I have ever met have been at Church.

One only needs to look out the window to notice how incredibly well thought through the World is. To beleive that pressure and friction ie "Natural Forces" could bring so much together with such well coordinated synchronicity is nothing more than blindness.  IMHO

I think that's right, although maybe I'd put it more in terms of the old distinction between why and how. Science can tell us how things happen, and it can even tell us how one thing happens in terms of how another thing happens, but it can never tell us why anything happens.
Čika-Gliša

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 08:50:39 PM »

No one is saying atheists are smarter than religious people. But since you raise the issue, some of the stupider people I have met have been at church and among believers in general.

Jonathan, what is your evidence for your claim that Christianity tells the truth about "why" things happen?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 08:55:40 PM »

"No one is saying you're stupid. But goodness, you're stupid."

This type of flummery isn't going to get you far.
Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 08:59:30 PM »

No one is saying atheists are smarter than religious people. But since you raise the issue, some of the stupider people I have met have been at church and among believers in general.

Jonathan, what is your evidence for your claim that Christianity tells the truth about "why" things happen?

I believe it in my heart. What is your evidence that atheism tells the truth about why things happen?
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 09:04:43 PM »

I didn't say this particular detail was fact. I deliberately used the phrasing "generally believe". I agree with you that some atheists believe in autogenesis.

And yet it is still dogmatic.

Religious atheism doesn't do much credit to atheism as a movement.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »

Atheists don't think there is a superior intelligence above human beings. Natural Forces are not sentient, are they?

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »

Atheists don't think there is a superior intelligence above human beings. Natural Forces are not sentient, are they?

I don't think he means that. He thinks that the material world just "is", sort of in the way we believe God just "is". We believe that the material world's existence depends on God's existence, while atheists believe it does not. What the atheist position means is that there is no answer to the question of why the material world exists. Of course, we don't know why God exists, just that He does. To me atheism comes down to just a new version of pantheism (if we are thinking of God as self-sufficient existence).
Stephanos Nikolaos

Faith: Pre-Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Currently OCA

Hosanna in the highest!

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 09:59:30 PM »

Why does he sound like he is arguing against Calvinism instead of Orthodoxy?

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »

I'm not saying that believing in an objective reality enhances enjoyment. I am saying that by focusing on living for a fictitious god and living with a view to a fictitious future life, a Christian (by practicing the obedience and self-denial inherent to practicing Christianity) is missing out on various opportunities to enjoy life in this lifetime.

So that would be a bad thing, then, to miss out on opportunities for enjoyment?

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 10:50:59 PM »

I am saying that by focusing on living for a fictitious god and living with a view to a fictitious future life
Our future life is already here. That's what you don't understand about Orthodox Christianity.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 10:53:08 PM »

Wake me up after the ban hammer falls.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 11:00:45 PM »

The idea that things have properties inherent to them 'just because,' and for no other reason, strikes me as similar to the theory of Greek pagan scientists that leaves fell in a particular way because 'they wanted to.'
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 11:05:27 PM »

The idea that things have properties inherent to them 'just because,' and for no other reason, strikes me as similar to the theory of Greek pagan scientists that leaves fell in a particular way because 'they wanted to.'

Quite. It seems as reasonable and science based as "God did it."
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus:

What you are saying has nothing to do with reality. To me it suggests that someone indoctrinated you with lies about what atheism teaches. There is no "atheist world view" that atheists are supposed to adhere to, that there is no morality and that all we care about is pleasure. Atheism does not equal hedonism. We simply don't believe there is a god. Why should that stop us from adhering to what we perceive as moral? Morality can and does exist without God. It comes from the evolutionary need to have peaceful coexistence and a functional society, and similar sociological and psychological things. Oh, and our lives are not meaningless. We find meaning in things of this world (love, sex, food, hobbies, helping others, etc.) and not in things of some perceived other world (God, heaven, whatever).

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Keble
Archon

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 11:48:52 PM »

In all that you are writing, you are not providing any evidence that God exists.

No, and I don't intend to. I don't accept your implied claim that you are competent to establish a system of evaluation and then to pass judgement. Indeed, your response is evidence that you are not, for nothing I said has anything to do with my "reasons for wanting him to exist." What I said was that I reject your claims to objectivity, and indeed I deny the possibility of that objectivity.

I think it is most unfortunate that you (and other people) seek meaning of life in a non-existent creator, whereas in truth you can find meaning in your life yourself.

For the most part I regard talk about the meaning of life as so much drivel. Nor do I regard it as something that can be successfully sought or made.

You can find your own meaning for your life by striving to live your life as you wish and as your conscience dictates.

Well, no, you can't. The human conscience is a broken, inconstant, and untrustworthy thing, and one of the evidentia on the side of Judaeo-Christian religion is that they accept this. That all people sin, that they violate even their own moral dicta, is an objective fact.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 12:29:12 AM »

Yes. He is the mythological explanation of primitive peoples (like the ancient Jews) with no knowledge of science to speak of for how the universe came about.
Now I won't disagree with you that some ancients believed that "a god" was used as an explanation for things, ie God of the Gaps. However the Jews believed in a God that was a personal one and didn't focus too much on how the universe came about. The book of Genesis is a primeval account, but it more deals with the theological rather than the exact process (which in my opinion should be left up to science, archaelogy etc).

There is no compelling evidence that a creator exists.
What sort of evidence are you looking for? Material evidence? Maybe not, might want to talk to Papist on good arguments and his evidence for why there is a God.

It's not the job of Christians to prove a God that is the Unmovable Mover of the Greeks or whatever. They preach the Gospel of the crucified God who raised from the dead.

If you want evidence for some sort of God that is a fount of all wisdom of knowledge, power, etc. might want to go to a theism/philosophy forum.

Science has for all practical purposes proven things like evolution, whereas there is no evidence that God exists. So I consider him a fantasy.
Who cares if science has proven evolution? Are you saying that the proof of evolution negates God? Again just curious on what evidence you are looking for.

What I'm basically saying is that religious people believe in this omnipotent, omniscient sky goblin who will punish them if they refuse to obey his exceedingly many commands and prohibitions.
You got the wrong god. Not the God of Orthodox Christianity.

Atheists are concerned with being moral (I.E. don't hurt other people) but over and above that, have no worries that they have to live a certain rigid, restrictive lifestyle or they will be apostates, go to hell etc. I don't think I need to describe this in detail here, I think you know what I'm talking about. Plus, I think that a devout Christian can be so concerned with focusing on the future life in "God's kingdom" (which I believe does not exist) that living for the present and in some cases noticing the beauty of the world around us can be undermined and take second place.
Actually the Kingdom of God is within you.

Without God, I'm not sure I would view the world in all its beauty. And the goal of the Christian isn't exactly on the future life.

This is just ridiculous. In fact, it is insulting. Atheists are moral people.
I never said otherwise. However based upon what you said in regards to living well and better as an atheist rather than someone submitting to an "omnipotent God", I don't see what is wrong with killing my neighbor who's causing me problems that is interrupting my better life. If we disregard state/federal laws, I don't see any consquences for my decision. In fact it can only be a positive thing, I'll have someone who won't bother me again.

I am an atheist and I hold to certain moral standards.
But why hold to certain moral standards, and from whom do you get those moral standards?

I don't just do what pleases me at others' cost.
If my pleasure could only be derived from eliminating certain people from life, I should take the cost right? Considering there wouldn't be any eternal consequences for my decisions.

You don't need religion to be moral. Morality comes from the necessity to coexist with other people, not from some divine source. In fact, you are saying that without your god, you would be immoral. Doesn't speak too highly about your character, IMO.
You're missing what I am getting at. I am saying under an atheistic view, I should have permission to do whatever I want, even if what you consider to be amoral, such as killing another person, shouldn't be considered amoral because from what source sould good/bad morality comes from? If I decide my own morality, then I can decide what is good or bad, it basically becomes arbitrary.

I don't see the necessity of co-existing with people if it is interrupting this great happy wonderful atheist life, do you?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:30:15 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 01:11:38 AM »

The question of morality is an interesting one. Whose Morality does an Atheist live according to?

Is it your own?

If we define what is good by our own feelings, then who can possibly be immoral, since everyone lives according to their own basic morality (from Hitler to Gandhi), only breaking it occasionally.
Čika-Gliša

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 06:57:39 AM »

In all that you are writing, you are not providing any evidence that God exists.

No, and I don't intend to. I don't accept your implied claim that you are competent to establish a system of evaluation and then to pass judgement. Indeed, your response is evidence that you are not, for nothing I said has anything to do with my "reasons for wanting him to exist." What I said was that I reject your claims to objectivity, and indeed I deny the possibility of that objectivity.

Then, why should I believe that you are anything but a deluded person prone to wishful thinking who believes in God because it serves some psychological purpose in their life? Btw. I believed in Santa Claus almost until the age of 10, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, because I liked the whole story and it would have been so unfortunate if Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer was not real. But finally, I had to face facts. If your god is so real, if you are so convinced that he exists, then where are the facts to support that he does?

Our future life is already here. That's what you don't understand about Orthodox Christianity.

What evidence do you have to back up this claim?

So that would be a bad thing, then, to miss out on opportunities for enjoyment?

Yes, if those opportunities do not harm other people.

Now I won't disagree with you that some ancients believed that "a god" was used as an explanation for things, ie God of the Gaps. However the Jews believed in a God that was a personal one and didn't focus too much on how the universe came about. The book of Genesis is a primeval account, but it more deals with the theological rather than the exact process (which in my opinion should be left up to science, archaelogy etc).

Yes, and the "personal god" of the Jews is a myth like any other, the Bible is filled with falsehoods and inaccuracies, and science has provided no evidence of God's existence, arguably even positive evidence that there is no creator (through the discovery that the universe, while appearing ordered, is actually quite random).

What sort of evidence are you looking for? Material evidence? Maybe not, might want to talk to Papist on good arguments and his evidence for why there is a God.

I am not looking for any "sort" of evidence. By evidence I mean whatever is trustworthy to back up your claims. I hope you understand that I am actually not looking for any evidence for myself. I am asking you to back up your claim that God exists.

It's not the job of Christians to prove a God that is the Unmovable Mover of the Greeks or whatever. They preach the Gospel of the crucified God who raised from the dead.

Oh, really? So what is the job of Christians? To make a claim (that Jesus rose from the dead) and not back it up? Why the heck should I believe you? Without evidence, your claims of Jesus' resurrection are as hollow, empty and worthless as David Koresh's claim that he was the messiah.

Who cares if science has proven evolution? Are you saying that the proof of evolution negates God? Again just curious on what evidence you are looking for.

Who cares!? As a minimum it negates the creation account in Genesis, you know that nonsense about the world being created in 7 days, the sun being created after the Earth, humans being created from dust, Eve being created from Adam's rib etc. And you don't care that your religion's most sacred and central texts contain myths so obviously negated by science? Your perfect god to whom faith in him is so important for the good of the human race did not see fit to put a more trustworthy account of creation in his holiest book, and you just brush it off like that? More generally, I am not saying proof of evolution in itself negates God, but it negates the necessity of there being a creator. In this context, however, I mainly gave it as an example of something that was proven by science, as opposed to the evidence-less claims made by the Church.

What I'm basically saying is that religious people believe in this omnipotent, omniscient sky goblin who will punish them if they refuse to obey his exceedingly many commands and prohibitions.
You got the wrong god. Not the God of Orthodox Christianity.

As I understand him, this is the god of Orthodox Christianity. It's what he boils down to when you look at him objectively. It's just that your priests and theologians, ever wanting to prove what a good guy he actually is, find ways of praising him and making him out to be great and wonderful (I've heard all the arguments for your god being "different", and they have failed to convince me.

If my pleasure could only be derived from eliminating certain people from life, I should take the cost right? Considering there wouldn't be any eternal consequences for my decisions.

By saying that, you are actually demeaning your own morality. You are essentially saying that you need threat of eternal punishment to be moral. But a moral atheist is moral for morality's own sake. Oh, and you conveniently forget that even in highly atheist societies, there are human laws that stop you from doing certain things (e.g. if you murder someone, you get life imprisonment or are executed). People are quite capable of stopping each other from committing crimes, without recourse to eternal damnation.

I don't see the necessity of co-existing with people if it is interrupting this great happy wonderful atheist life, do you?

Now, this is just ridiculous. One of the greatest aspects of a happy life is coexisting and positively interacting with other people. Atheists don't deny this. They affirm this. Really, you people sure are prejudiced against us.

The question of morality is an interesting one. Whose Morality does an Atheist live according to?

Is it your own?

If we define what is good by our own feelings, then who can possibly be immoral, since everyone lives according to their own basic morality (from Hitler to Gandhi), only breaking it occasionally.

Regarding this morality issue, I have extensively written about it on another thread. You don't need religion and its moral absolutes to be moral. Many atheists are honest, kind people and constructive members of society. I suggest watching these two videos. I think they very eloquently explain where atheists' morality comes from (and why it is far better than religious morality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aCRHjH6d4Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JK9ov28pnk
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 07:55:53 AM »

Not really, if I understand atheists well enough. My son-in-law, Ryan, is a typical atheist to me, and his philosophy is like this. Humans have always lived developing certain compromises. When they were still young as a race, living in a “stone age,” they, indeed, killed each other on a slightest provocation. However, they learned that this is counter-productive: for example, what if you kill a member of your tribe and he happens to be a skilled hunter? Then your next hunt will not be successful and the tribe will starve. So, people developed a “rule” that their own kinsmen-tribesmen should not be killed. Later, they also developed “rules” prohibiting the killing of members of friendly tribes, etc.

Generally, Ryan thinks that all rules, all laws of behavior (including what is called “morality”) are based on compromise. It would be great if we accepted a speed limit of 5 mph: there would be no accidents and no accident-related deaths. But we won’t be able to get to work on time and get things done So we developed a compromise. Same thing everywhere in the life of any society (including economy, finances, taxation, laws on marriage and divorce, politics, etc.).

What I find deficient in Ryan’s atheism is the idea that there is no Last Judgment. You can live a good life, or you can be an ax murderer and child rapist – the end is the same: you die, and that’s it. Ryan, however, finds this to be quite normal.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 07:57:51 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Čika-Gliša

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2011, 08:06:41 AM »

Well Heorhij, I'm glad you're getting the gist of what I'm saying about evolution and morality.

What I find deficient in Ryan’s atheism is the idea that there is no Last Judgment. You can live a good life, or you can be an ax murderer and child rapist – the end is the same: you die, and that’s it. Ryan, however, finds this to be quite normal.

That's because it simply doesn't exist. You may want an eternal judge to exist and punish people's sins, or you may want there to be an afterlife, but that doesn't make it true. On the bright side, it is possible to reward and punish people now on Earth.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2011, 08:30:07 AM »

Well Heorhij, I'm glad you're getting the gist of what I'm saying about evolution and morality.

That's because it simply doesn't exist. You may want an eternal judge to exist and punish people's sins, or you may want there to be an afterlife, but that doesn't make it true. On the bright side, it is possible to reward and punish people now on Earth.

That is not the teaching of Islam.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2011, 08:35:17 AM »

That is not the teaching of Islam.

I just spit out chewed up ramen from laughing so hard  Cheesy

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Tags: Epicureanism atheism Objective morality Existence of God Eudaimonism Zing! God, or Nature The teaching of Islam Final judgment 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: