OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 10:45:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Previous priest/pastor say when you expressed interest into Orthodoxy?  (Read 3640 times) Average Rating: 0
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2011, 10:28:53 PM »

The only thing worse than Satan in my parish as a child was the Pope,

I know right, all those Orthodox being lead astray by all those unbiblical idolotrous beliefs without even getting the benefit of a Pope to blame it on. Believing everything the Pope teaches except for the Pope himself, that's just silly. Why would anyone in their right mind wanna do that?

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2011, 12:00:51 AM »

My former FOC was and I can only assume still is a wonderful man, but shortly after I moved back to California from Oregon, he moved from Oregon to Alaska. So, funnily enough, it hasn't come up. I didn't go through any of the formal steps to get my name removed from the books or anything. Just bided my time quietly, waiting for the move to New Mexico and trying to avoid any of the Catholics I know (not an easy thing to do in my part of California).

My father, on the other hand...Lord have mercy...that is an entirely different matter!  Shocked
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:01:23 AM by dzheremi » Logged

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2011, 12:27:39 AM »

My pastor I had as a child died about fifteen years ago.

But I am such a catch that even though I wasn't Christian since the age of 12ish, my pastor's son who is now the pastor of that parish I was in wouldn't release my Baptismal certificate.

It was all kittens and buttons till he ostensibly did an internet search on where I was going now. The only thing worse than Satan in my parish as a child was the Pope, who knows how the new pastor parsed Orthodoxy.

My certificate was basically ready to go with lotsa: glad you are finally going back to church talk. Then many months of backs and forths with no release of Baptismal certificate.

I am just that darn lovable.

that's hilarious, but also kind of sad for  the poor pastor trying to find out whatever the heck you got yourself into and find out away to hold on to you. I find that moving and commendable thing to do if you see it from his perspective. but Glory to God that he got to give back the Baptismal certificate, and also know a bit about Orthodoxy in that research he did. who knows where it will lead him ?

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
NMHS
Site Supporter

Jurisdiction: UOC

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »

I'll be visiting with my priest thanksgiving week so I'll let everyone know what is said. 
Contarini

Faith: Christian, belonging to the Anglican Communion, adhering to the teachings of the Seven Councils
Jurisdiction: The Episcopal Church

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2011, 03:30:27 PM »

Both pastors came out of Stone-Campbellite churches, but I suppose this church was something along the lines of emergent.  Maybe?  I don't know.  We kind of cherry picked from traditions, using a fair bit from the Book of Common Prayer and there was a social justice element.  The pastor that made the comment about neoplatonism certainly isn't Calvinist.  To be honest, I don't know what neoplatonism even is.  I just knew his statement was a bit of a parting shot.

Makes sense. The Stone-Campbell tradition is very anti-philosophical and tends to take the approach that traditional Christianity in general is too influenced by Platonism, and this perspective is shared by many Protestants. On the other hand, Prof. Fred Norris of Emmanuel School of Religion is a big fan of the Cappadocian Fathers and the Eastern Christian tradition generally, and he's a "Campbellite" teaching at a Campbellite school.

Edwin
myrrhbear

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Trust in God

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2011, 10:37:45 PM »

A funny thing, we just recently told our new priest the name of the pastor of our former church. Not only do they know each other, but had a great relationship! (I would insert the smiley with the buggy eyes if I knew how, right here!) The world is sometimes a bit small. It never pays to say something negative about someone else.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2011, 12:40:37 AM »

Both pastors came out of Stone-Campbellite churches, but I suppose this church was something along the lines of emergent.  Maybe?  I don't know.  We kind of cherry picked from traditions, using a fair bit from the Book of Common Prayer and there was a social justice element.  The pastor that made the comment about neoplatonism certainly isn't Calvinist.  To be honest, I don't know what neoplatonism even is.  I just knew his statement was a bit of a parting shot.

Makes sense. The Stone-Campbell tradition is very anti-philosophical and tends to take the approach that traditional Christianity in general is too influenced by Platonism, and this perspective is shared by many Protestants. On the other hand, Prof. Fred Norris of Emmanuel School of Religion is a big fan of the Cappadocian Fathers and the Eastern Christian tradition generally, and he's a "Campbellite" teaching at a Campbellite school.

Edwin

Interesting.  The pastor that was supportive is an ESR graduate.
NMHS
Site Supporter

Jurisdiction: UOC

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2011, 11:05:34 PM »

I'll be visiting with my priest thanksgiving week so I'll let everyone know what is said. 

Not much was mentioned in our conversation today.  I mentioned my attraction to Orthodoxy and he said both churches have the same sacraments and though both churches have a long way to become one they are starting to get along.  I chose to leave it at that............................ Huh
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2011, 11:08:25 PM »

Not much was mentioned in our conversation today.  I mentioned my attraction to Orthodoxy and he said both churches have the same sacraments and though both churches have a long way to become one they are starting to get along.  I chose to leave it at that............................ Huh
I've heard a lot of RC to Orthodox stuff like that. Some people at my church are trying to "console" me and tell me about the similarities between the Orthodox Church and the RCC. As if I'm joining against my will!

Ah well... Smiley

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2011, 11:40:10 PM »

My current pastor is my father. His reactions haven't been the greatest, but they're better than a lot of what I've seen in this thread. It'll be interesting to see if he releases my Baptismal certificate when the time comes for that.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2011, 01:45:57 AM »

I haven't yet told the pastors at either of the Methodist churches I attend (or have attended) about my interest in Orthodoxy, but I've never heard them say bad things about Orthodox (or Catholics--which are much more common to hear diatribes about here in the US). They seem to be the kind who want people to get closer to God no matter what church they attend.

As for my parents, they told me they'd love and support me no matter what church I ended up in.

I suppose I should consider myself blessed. Smiley

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: