OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:36:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chant music....  (Read 414 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: September 25, 2011, 09:42:06 PM »

I want to start familiarizing myself with some orthodox chant music.  problem is, i dont know anything in particular to search for??  I dunno... like an Orthodox chant band?? (i know band isnt the proper term, but hopefully you know what i mean...)  Maybe choir is a better word...

what should i search google for in particular for some of the best chant music? preferably in english....  I have ancient faith radio, but it doesnt say what im listening to.  what your favorite stuff to listen to??

and im not going to get in trouble for starting too many threads am i? i feel like i start a lot, but they are legit questions!!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:48:02 PM »

I want to start familiarizing myself with some orthodox chant music.  problem is, i dont know anything in particular to search for??  I dunno... like an Orthodox chant band?? (i know band isnt the proper term, but hopefully you know what i mean...)  Maybe choir is a better word...

what should i search google for in particular for some of the best chant music? preferably in english....  I have ancient faith radio, but it doesnt say what im listening to.  what your favorite stuff to listen to??

and im not going to get in trouble for starting too many threads am i? i feel like i start a lot, but they are legit questions!!

Check this thread out:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,39686.0/topicseen.html

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 09:50:03 PM »

I'll let others give you their chant suggestions (the monks at Simonopetra being among them, I am sure) but I really wanted to address this:

Let me assure you that you're doing fine here. We don't run a tally about the threads you may have started, and actually all your questions have been good ones!

So, if you're worried about being a nuisance here.....fuhgeddaboudit!  Wink

We'd have taken care of you long before now if you were a bother here!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:50:29 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:54:19 PM »

I'll let others give you their chant suggestions (the monks at Simonopetra being among them, I am sure) but I really wanted to address this:

Let me assure you that you're doing fine here. We don't run a tally about the threads you may have started, and actually all your questions have been good ones!

So, if you're worried about being a nuisance here.....fuhgeddaboudit!  Wink

We'd have taken care of you long before now if you were a bother here!

Good to hear.  I have really enjoyed this site since I found it, and it has been extremely helpful!  I appreciate all of the knowledge you all have shared with me!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 09:58:26 PM »

I go to you tube and type in Orthodox chant and just start hitting all the videos on the side. I'll give you one to start from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEHJY0T9RsQ
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:56:18 PM »

My favorite is Carpatho-Russian plain chant... I mentioned where you can download some on this thread Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 06:40:44 AM »

Ancient Faith Radio does tell you what you're listening to. Click on the "Radio" tab, then on "Now Playing". If you are listening on the pop-up, you'll see it there, too. (But once in a while this feature doesn't seem to work properly - but usually it does.)

As others have said, youtube will give you nearly unlimited listening - but sometimes hard to find things in English.

You might also want to check out www.liturgica.com for samples and good background information.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »

My favorite is Carpatho-Russian plain chant... I mentioned where you can download some on this thread Smiley

it seems the "download" link is broken on that site you posted! i was able to stream some, and i like what i hear. id love to get some of it!!

Ancient Faith Radio does tell you what you're listening to. Click on the "Radio" tab, then on "Now Playing". If you are listening on the pop-up, you'll see it there, too. (But once in a while this feature doesn't seem to work properly - but usually it does.)

As others have said, youtube will give you nearly unlimited listening - but sometimes hard to find things in English.

You might also want to check out www.liturgica.com for samples and good background information.

gotcha.  ive actually never used the computer to listen. i meant the iphone app.  and unfortunately, i dont think it shows you there. ill start using the computer around the house, or at least to see what im listening to so i can try to download or buy it.  thanks!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 01:37:56 PM »

i figured out how to make it work.  just have to find the MP3 link in all the HTML/XML coding and then copy/paste it into my browser.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tags: chant 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: