OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 12:47:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Documentaries on netflix?  (Read 2788 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: September 24, 2011, 09:13:50 PM »

has anyone seen any good documentaries on netflix (streaming) regarding the church? any christian church for that matter...

i would love to find an orthodox documentary, but im not sure one exists!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 07:08:36 AM »

here's two that I watched several years ago:

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/The-History-of-Orthodox-Christianity/70040865?trkid=496751

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/The-Other-Holy-Land/70028080?trkid=496751

I remember one had Met. Kallistos (Ware) in it, but I can't remember which one.  And I think "The History of Orthodox Christianity" may be available on YouTube as well.

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 11:14:32 PM »

here's two that I watched several years ago:

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/The-History-of-Orthodox-Christianity/70040865?trkid=496751

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/The-Other-Holy-Land/70028080?trkid=496751

I remember one had Met. Kallistos (Ware) in it, but I can't remember which one.  And I think "The History of Orthodox Christianity" may be available on YouTube as well.

bummer. neither of those are on netflix anymore!! every time find something i want to watch on netflix, it turns out its not available for streaming.  I want to watch Mysteries of the Jesus Prayer but cant!

hopefully i cant find them on youtube.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 11:19:04 PM »

I never watched them live-streaming.  We got the DVDs.  Sorry, I didn't see that you were only looking for streaming.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 11:19:27 PM by PrincessMommy » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 01:58:04 AM »

The Jesus prayer doc is available thru iTunes very inexpensively.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 02:18:56 AM »

awesome! only $4.99! thank you very much!!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 02:55:45 AM »

awesome! only $4.99! thank you very much!!

I really enjoyed watching it, I bought it thru iTunes since the price is so good. I hope you enjoy it as well!
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 01:12:19 AM »

Although not a documentary, I believe Ostrov is streaming.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 01:22:43 AM »

You are right! They call it "The Island" though.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Island/70082637?trkid=2361637
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 01:43:29 AM »

Excellent, thank you for clarifying.  Smiley

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 03:09:55 PM »

The Monastery: Mr. Vig and the Nun is worth an hour or so of a quiet Saturday afternoon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monastery:_Mr._Vig_and_the_Nun
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »

The Monastery: Mr. Vig and the Nun is worth an hour or so of a quiet Saturday afternoon.

Just added it to my list on Netflix, thanks for the suggestion Smiley

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 01:05:42 AM »

The Monastery: Mr. Vig and the Nun

Finally had a chance to see this. Fairly melancholy and slowly-paced, though not boring IMO. I felt pretty bad for Mr. Vig.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 01:18:20 AM »

The Monastery: Mr. Vig and the Nun

Finally had a chance to see this. Fairly melancholy and slowly-paced, though not boring IMO. I felt pretty bad for Mr. Vig.

Mr. Vig was quite the interesting fella. 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »

Last night on Netflix I watched the first part of an old National Geographic show, Biography of a Corpse. It's about what some call "body farms," where anthropologists/doctors study various things about decomposing human bodies left in the open/outdoors. I found it quite fascinating, but it's not for the squeamish as the decomposition is shown in fairly graphic detail (maggots devouring a head, bugs crawling in and out of the dead person's mouth and nose, stripping skin/etc. off a body so that only the bones remain)

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 04:26:52 PM »

Last night on Netflix I watched the first part of an old National Geographic show, Biography of a Corpse. It's about what some call "body farms," where anthropologists/doctors study various things about decomposing human bodies left in the open/outdoors. I found it quite fascinating, but it's not for the squeamish as the decomposition is shown in fairly graphic detail (maggots devouring a head, bugs crawling in and out of the dead person's mouth and nose, stripping skin/etc. off a body so that only the bones remain)

Real men eat chili while watching.  Smiley

I don't think it would bother me much.  Not that we are animals, but I am exposed to dead animal corpses all the time.  Often parts of dead animals with maggots all over.

Chickens love maggots btw.

I've even put maggot meat in buckets with little holes drilled in the bottom and hung them up high.  Flies land on the meat and lay eggs.  The maggots hatch, grow, and soon enough most will fall through the holes in the buckets.

The chickens/turkeys gobble them up.  Smiley

Yeah I guess seeing it on a human would be somewhat yuck - but I've seen it on cow heads with POUNDS of maggots etc.  Undecided   

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 06:39:54 AM »

Old Believers

Only on disc, not streaming:

Jana Sevcikova's collection of three short films captures the lives of the immigrants and exiles who live on the outskirts of Eastern Europe. Shot over a period of five years, "Old Believers" documents a religious community seeped in ancient traditions. "Piemule" reveals the experiences of the descendents of Czech immigrants living in Romania, while "Jakub" chronicles the story of Jakub Popovich, a Ruthenian man transplanted to western Bohemia.
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 06:43:33 AM »

Not Orthodox, but some Catholic references and very inspiring:

Shot over the course of seven years, this documentary from filmmakers Susan Koch and Jeff Werner relates the inspiring true story of Mario Rocha, an East L.A. teen who unlocked his talent for writing while serving out a murder sentence behind bars. As his family and a team of pro bono attorneys labor on the outside to clear his name for a crime he didn't commit, Mario keeps himself grounded on the inside by writing poems, short stories and plays.

It was on my streaming list for a long time, then I finally watched it and didn't regret it: Mario's Story
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 01:51:14 AM »

this reminds me of another documentery, "A certain kind of death"

which is about people who die without any next of kin and it shows what they do with the body

also they kept showing the dead bodies and such terrible ways they seemed to have died... quite ugly... and also them being incinerated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErooOhzE268
full documentary there

this also reminds me on youtube, of a certain german man named Gunther von Hagens, search for him on youtube

Gunther's ER- - Minutes From Death

they plastizise bodies/freeze them or some complex thing, cut them to pieces showing them... like for example the body laying flat, then cut it horizontally in half...

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 12:47:15 AM »

Not on Netflix about Orthodoxy, but on YouTube I've watched this one a couple times.

Valaam: Step to the Skies
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: