OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:14:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was Orthodoxy called by another name?  (Read 343 times) Average Rating: 0
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« on: September 24, 2011, 06:25:26 PM »

It wasn't until a good friend started raving about orthodoxy had i ever heard of it apart from Greek or Russian Orthodox, which i just thought was similar to our C of E. I never twigged it was another religion completely and in charismatic circles, i'd never heard it discussed as an option before now. Is that quite common or am i just thick? Whenever we studied <and i use that term loosely> the origins of Christianity, Orthodoxy was never mentioned. Was it always known as this way back when in England?

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 06:50:34 PM »

It wasn't until a good friend started raving about orthodoxy had i ever heard of it apart from Greek or Russian Orthodox, which i just thought was similar to our C of E. I never twigged it was another religion completely and in charismatic circles, i'd never heard it discussed as an option before now. Is that quite common or am i just thick? Whenever we studied <and i use that term loosely> the origins of Christianity, Orthodoxy was never mentioned. Was it always known as this way back when in England?
It was, but the Vatican got in the way. Contact was made in the early 15th century again, but real contact only resumed in the early 17th century.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 06:51:35 PM »

It's not just you  Cheesy I just heard of them 2 years ago and have 4 church's in my area. To be honest I really think  they live up to the name Orthodox. We have building(Church) why you not come in?  Tongue
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 06:59:02 PM »

I just found this thread http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,39377.0.html

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 09:02:22 PM »

I guess there's two ways to look at it...

1) There are a couple hundred million Orthodox, and they are (some would say) the 2nd largest Christian Church in the world. Thus you not having heard of them is extremely abnormal.

2) Orthodox visibility in England, US, Australia, etc. is fairly low. The number of Orthodox Christians is also fairly low (e.g., Orthodox are about .3% of the US population)

So... I dunno  Grin  I had "never heard of them" until I went looking for a traditional Church, even though I had walked past an Orthodox Church a couple hundred times growing up. Sometimes "never heard of them" really means "never noticed" or "never paid attention". *shrugs*

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: