OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:20:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pilgrimage  (Read 306 times) Average Rating: 0
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« on: September 24, 2011, 01:55:36 AM »

Our spiritual father has recomended a pilgramige to another church and we have decided to go right away.

I need a some help explaining this concept to my family.  So far I have only told my mother about the trip but from her reaction I definatly need some help to be able to talk about this with the rest of my family.   

Why do we need to travel so far when we can pray at home/local church?

My family is protestant so is there any biblical references that I could use?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 06:54:24 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Mathe 24:36
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 03:03:08 AM »

I guess it depends why you're going to this other church? Are there saints' relics or a miraculous icon to venerate? Does the parish have a connection with a saint or a prominent priest/bishop? Or is it just to see the architecture?

Why do you need to tell the family if they're going to be upset? Can you simply say you're going to visit "such and such a city" for a small trip?

My family is Catholic and while they go to church every Sunday, they pick and choose what to believe (aka "cafeteria Catholic"). Mention of the stricter observances in Orthodoxy (such as fasting), which are more similar with pre-Vatican II Catholicism, seem to make them uncomfortable. It seems the stricter Orthodox practices make them "look bad" by comparison, from the comments I get from the family members, so I simply don't mention those things they will not or cannot understand.

Makes life much less stressful!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:03:57 AM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 06:50:07 AM »

Lk 2, 41-42

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:28:42 PM »

I guess it depends why you're going to this other church? Are there saints' relics or a miraculous icon to venerate? Does the parish have a connection with a saint or a prominent priest/bishop? Or is it just to see the architecture?

Why do you need to tell the family if they're going to be upset? Can you simply say you're going to visit "such and such a city" for a small trip?My family is Catholic and while they go to church every Sunday, they pick and choose what to believe (aka "cafeteria Catholic"). Mention of the stricter observances in Orthodoxy (such as fasting), which are more similar with pre-Vatican II Catholicism, seem to

make them uncomfortable. It seems the stricter Orthodox practices make them "look bad" by comparison, from the comments I get from the family members, so I simply don't mention those things they will not or cannot understand.

Makes life much less stressful!

I can't hide my faith.  I also dont try to push my faith on my relatives but I am sure they will ask lots of questions when my wife starts showing pictures and it would be nice to be able to explain in a way that they will have some understanding and perhaps insight.

Luke chapter 2 sounds good I will try that.  Thank you.

Mathe 24:36
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: