OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 10:21:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox attending an RC Mass  (Read 2296 times) Average Rating: 0
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2011, 03:01:11 AM »

A Synod of the Orthodox Church has never declared the Roman Catholic Church to be in heresy.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 09:33:21 AM »

A Synod of the Orthodox Church has never declared the Roman Catholic Church to be in heresy.

That's questionable. The Great Synod of 1484, held in Constantinople, officially rejected the Council of Florence and formulated a service for receiving Latins who rejected their false dogmas.

http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/Dragas_RomanCatholic_2.html

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:35:00 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2011, 11:47:28 AM »

I thought that Filioque was condemded in fourth council of Costantinople.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2011, 12:57:55 AM »

As if councils are the sole source of Orthodox doctrine.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Seraphim Rose
President of Democracy

Faith: [Eastern] Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

2000 Years of Ninjas Wailing on Guitar

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2011, 08:10:50 AM »

I'm just still worked up over the Baptist eating the Death-Cookie.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0074/0074_01.asp

It ain't who you know. It's what who you know know.
JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2011, 09:21:01 AM »

Ioannis Climacus, you are all over the place!  You say that one should not kneel with Catholics as it is a posture of prayer, but the second article you link to says, "When others pray, lower your head and pray an Orthodox prayer."  Isn't the bowing of the head also a posture of prayer?  Someone asks about attending a funeral and you use it as a platform to spread your sectarianism.

I pray that you find the words of our divine father St. John of San Francisco instructive (I have selected certain portions and placed below.  I have cited the entire thing at the bottom of this post for your reading pleasure.):

"...it is possible to meet "Orthodox" who are in fact sectarians at heart: fanatic, unloving, narrow minded, persistent in human precision, not hungering or thirsting after God’s truth, but gorged with their own presumptuous truth, strictly judging others from the summit of this their imaginary truth dogmatically correct from the outside, but lacking origin in the Spirit."

"Then as among heterodox Christians there are many who live in the truth of Orthodoxy through their spirit. There are sectarians who are aflame with the spirit and love of God and fellow man much more than some Orthodox, and that very spirit of fervent love for God and man is the mark of a true Orthodox life. Whoever among Orthodox does not possess it is not truly Orthodox, and whoever possesses it among non-Orthodox is truly Orthodox."

"The presence of such true Orthodox Christians may be observed among professed Orthodox as well as among Roman Catholics and among Protestants of all categories. It also may be observed among Russian sectarians, who have become sectarian, i.e. separated themselves in mind and experience from the dogmatic confession of the Church, partially from an inability to comprehend that confession in the Spirit, and partially from bad examples of the realization of that confession in life."

"Those who are Orthodox by their own profession and confirmation should understand that Orthodoxy is by no means a privilege, nor is it cause to judge others, nor is it pride. Orthodoxy, on the contrary, is humility. It is the confession of the fullness of the Truth, of righteousness and of love. Orthodoxy must win the victory only by its radiance, like the Lord Himself, and by no means through the use of cannon, steel or verbal (there is no difference). Orthodoxy does not shine forth in an Orthodox society that takes pride in its Orthodoxy. It shines forth in those who are humble in their Orthodoxy, who understand the purity of the faith, not only in their puny reasoning, but through the spirit through all their life."

http://www.holy-trinity.org/spirituality/john.sectarianism.html

I really like this, it is very interesting and very true !

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2011, 12:22:44 PM »

"Praying with the heterodox" is also something where ikonomia applies. So I think everyone who is faced with such a situation should discuss it with his or her priest.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2011, 01:44:30 PM »

You say that as if it matters.

Are we catasynodics now? I thought we were catholics.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Tags: Funeral Mass 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: