OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 08:26:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Church is the New Israel  (Read 570 times) Average Rating: 0
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« on: September 23, 2011, 02:35:20 PM »

Where does this understanding come from?

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 02:50:20 PM »

Quote from: Galatians 3
26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Quote from: Romans 11
17 If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, 18 do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.” 20 Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off. 23 And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 After all, if you were cut out of an olive tree that is wild by nature, and contrary to nature were grafted into a cultivated olive tree, how much more readily will these, the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree!

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »

^ Good scriptural response by minasoliman.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the phrase "new Israel" doesn't occur in the NT as far as I know. The phrase "Israel of God", however, does. This is important, because from how I understand it, the Orthodox teaching is that there has been, is, and will be, only one Israel. The Church did not 'replace' ethnic Israel as the covenant people. There is only one covenant people: those who believe in Christ Jesus, both in the Old Testament and the New. But many "native branches" of ethnic Israel were cut off, while many "wild branches" of Gentiles were grafted on to the one tree, the Israel of God. Christ as Israel. Something like that.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »

Anyone want to add?

jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 09:19:31 PM »

Anyone want to add?
nope you might not like what I have to say  Cheesy
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 12:00:30 AM »

^ Good scriptural response by minasoliman.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the phrase "new Israel" doesn't occur in the NT as far as I know. The phrase "Israel of God", however, does. This is important, because from how I understand it, the Orthodox teaching is that there has been, is, and will be, only one Israel. The Church did not 'replace' ethnic Israel as the covenant people. There is only one covenant people: those who believe in Christ Jesus, both in the Old Testament and the New. But many "native branches" of ethnic Israel were cut off, while many "wild branches" of Gentiles were grafted on to the one tree, the Israel of God. Christ as Israel. Something like that.

Yes, you are correct.  The phrase "Israel of God" was used in Galatians 6:

12 Those who want to impress people by means of the flesh are trying to compel you to be circumcised. The only reason they do this is to avoid being persecuted for the cross of Christ. 13 Not even those who are circumcised keep the law, yet they want you to be circumcised that they may boast about your circumcision in the flesh. 14 May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15 Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is the new creation. 16 Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule—to the Israel of God.

17 From now on, let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus.

18 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers and sisters. Amen.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 06:08:31 AM »

Anyone want to add?
nope you might not like what I have to say  Cheesy
Feel free to voice you opinion

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 07:58:29 AM »

There is no new Israel.

Israel is the seed of Abraham, Jesus Christ.

The Church is the Body of Christ. The Church is Israel.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 08:46:21 AM »

There is no new Israel.

Israel is the seed of Abraham, Jesus Christ.

The Church is the Body of Christ. The Church is Israel.

Well put.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: