OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 02:58:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Website evaluation  (Read 584 times) Average Rating: 5
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: September 22, 2011, 09:24:39 PM »

Hi folks.  Our parish's technology committee is undergoing a review of our parish's website (and I'd like some "outsider" - i.e. your - comments, too), specifically:

1. Overall design/appeal
2. Ease of use
3. Availability of commonly needed information
4. Depth and breadth of overall information available

If anyone here feels like evaluating the site using these 4 categories, or any general comments, I'd appreciate it - and if, while evaluating, you're deciding whether to be honest or nice, I'd prefer "honest."  You can reach the site by clicking the globe icon under my avatar.  Thank you!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »

I would be happy to!

However, my home connection is just a bit on the slow side....and the web page isn't coming up!  Smiley

I'll do it tomorrow when I have the use of a faster connection to the Web.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:56:23 PM »

Hi folks.  Our parish's technology committee is undergoing a review of our parish's website (and I'd like some "outsider" - i.e. your - comments, too), specifically:

1. Overall design/appeal
2. Ease of use

If anyone here feels like evaluating the site using these 4 categories, or any general comments, I'd appreciate it - and if, while evaluating, you're deciding whether to be honest or nice, I'd prefer "honest."  You can reach the site by clicking the globe icon under my avatar.  Thank you!

I liked the overall design I would of liked to of seen more Icons

it was easy to use

info was good were the church was the maps only thing I would suggest would be what language DL was in Greek/English or just English

Over all info was good Just side note  for me I love to read the news letters and stuff from the church so pls keep current I come across many church web sites with there last news update 5 yrs ago.  I also love to see pic's of the inside of the church as well when I surf church web sites
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »

The only thing I would add would be a brief description of Orthodox beliefs and history for those who may be unfamiliar with Orthdoxy.

Also, I know it goes without saying that being a greek church, it is eastern rite, but specifying the liturgy as being that of St John Chrysostom (or St Basil depending on the day/season) would be helpful for newcomers. I know it's pretty obvious for anyone familiar with Orthodoxy, but not so for those who aren't. It definitely bothers me when I see a WR (I know you're not WR but using it as an example) web site that doesn't say which liturgy they use when there is more than one possibility.

That would be my only criticism, aside form the "12 things" article, I couldn't find anything about Orthodoxy in general for those who may be coming to the faith. I'm not saying a whole library of in-depth articles covering everything is necessary, only a basic rundown of Orthodox history in general and basic beliefs.

Other than that, it gives service times, info about the history of the parish, directions, ministries, contact info, and is overall pretty good.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »

Loved the site!

1. Overall design/appeal - very clean and easy on the eyes (good color combination)
2. Ease of use - very easy to navigate
3. Availability of commonly needed information - I liked that you could easily find contact information, all the schedules and events, etc.
4. Depth and breadth of overall information available - lots of good information

What's missing?

As was mentioned above, it would be good to have a synopsis of what the Orthodox Church is, her history and beliefs, etc.
I am also very visual.  I would love to see some photos!  Photos of the church, services, clergy, events, etc.  A picture is worth a thousand words!

It's a great website!  Kudos!

(One more thing...when I clicked to read the Parish History Part 1....the text is sooooo tiny, I could hardly read it. )

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 02:19:36 PM »

(One more thing...when I clicked to read the Parish History Part 1....the text is sooooo tiny, I could hardly read it. )

That was going to be my exact comment. I think increasing the text size, using probably an extra paragraph break, and breaking up the text even more might make it user-friendly.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 09:22:06 PM »

Thank you to those who have given their feedback so far.  Great suggestions!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:36:02 PM »

Here are my recommendations:

- The banner's color is so dark that it obscures the icons, giving them a ghostly quality. I'm running IE 9.

- I love the way you have either a photo or an icon for each of the highlighted stories. However, there is lots of white space and little content associated with the headline. Strongly recommend adding the lede under the title and then adding the "for more" link. For example, theYoung Adult section could have: Title, followed by "Currently reading the book, "The Apostolic Fathers," (Jack N. Sparks, ed.). Any young adult is invited to attend. For more, click here."

- It may be useful to have tab just for visitors and inquirers. I also agree with the other suggestions regarding photos, and content.

- Our church site was just revamped and a photo slide show was added to give the visitor an idea of the church, parishioners, clergy and activities. You may want to check out the idea at http://holyapostles.org/wordpress/

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 12:12:22 PM »

1. Overall design/appeal
2. Ease of use

1. I think the design is a little dated. It's not a killer, because it is well-organized and functional, and consistent in appearance (i.e. there aren't 30 different font/color/size combinations), but if your parish wants to refresh the site I think aesthetically it could be helpful.

2. Everything is well-organized throughout the site. I think the major thing hurting usability is the amount of information that is on the homepage and in the sidebars. It's a sort of like the Laffer Curve: if there gets to be too much quick-access information on one page, it becomes overwhelming and counterproductive. I would improve this by reorganizing things and keeping only the current day/week's info on the front page (thereafter directing people to a sub-category), and a few top news stories.

3. This is done well, and as I said above, perhaps too well. If the amount of information was narrowed a bit and having less stuff in the sidebar, it could help. Because of the amount of information of the site, it would help to move the search field into the header so it's easier to find. And I love that people are able to submit names for proskomedia, that's great.

4. A+. You guys are utilizing it well and are keeping things maintained and updated. I am sure the site is a great resource for your parish and inquirers alike. I would echo what someone else said, though: having a prominent link to a section for new visitors would be good to add, explaining the services a little and such. You might also explain what "Annunciation" means, because I'm sure even the majority of Protestants don't know.

A few random things I would consider changing if your parish did decide to re-design the site (in no particular order):

- wider format (960 pixels is kind of the current standard, although wider sites are becoming commonplace)
- larger type and a fresher typeface
- using imagery to drive the site more, at least on the homepage, and integrating imagery into the design
- updated color scheme and navigation styling
- reducing the amount of material on the homepage and directing people to relevant sub-categories

While I certainly would not copy them in all things, getting layout/design ideas from the websites of popular megachurches can be helpful, because they pay buku bucks to have cutting-edge websites, which most Orthodox parishes just can't do. "Good artists copy, great artists steal." Wink
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:17:02 PM by bogdan » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: