OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 05:28:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy and alcohol...  (Read 9438 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: September 21, 2011, 09:00:20 PM »

PLEASE tell me that the Orthodox church isnt like all these southern baptist churches i work with who think if you ever drink alcohol you will burn in hell. 

I mean, I realize you shouldnt get drunk, but whats wrong with a Guinness every now and then?  Or an awesome IPA? Maybe a glass of wine with my wife?

Im pretty sure nothing is wrong with these things, but is there any specific church teaching on the matter?

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 09:07:14 PM »

No alcohol on most Wednesdays and Fridays and during the fasting periods except on the Saturday and Sunday (pretty much every Saturday and Sunday is wine-friendly). Other than that, enjoy, but don't get ****-faced.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:11:04 PM »

Serbs drink beer all the time.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:12:48 PM »

Yeah, too bad there's never been any Serbian parishes near me. I could totally live 13 days in the past for liquid bread.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:34:12 PM »

More than one psalm mentions that wine gladdens the heart; and Apostle Paul advised an ailing Timothy to not just drink water, but a little wine for his stomach's sake. Christ's first miracle was turning water into wine, and it was good wine, at that!  laugh And, of course, the Eucharist is wine mixed with water.

No alcohol on most Wednesdays and Fridays and during the fasting periods except on the Saturday and Sunday (pretty much every Saturday and Sunday is wine-friendly). Other than that, enjoy, but don't get ****-faced.

Exactly.  Smiley
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:35:31 PM »

Well this is all great news.  I certainly do love a good brew. 

I was already pretty sure that this was the case, but i wanted to make sure!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 09:39:08 PM »

PLEASE tell me that the Orthodox church isnt like all these southern baptist churches i work with who think if you ever drink alcohol you will burn in hell.

You'll be fine as long as you're saved and accept Jesus's death on the cross as a punishment for all your sins.  Wink

But seriously, everything in moderation. They didn't drink "unfermented grape juice" back in ancient times.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »

I mean, I realize you shouldnt get drunk, but whats wrong with a Guinness every now and then?  Or an awesome IPA? Maybe a glass of wine with my wife?

Im pretty sure nothing is wrong with these things, but is there any specific church teaching on the matter?
Actually my friend, that mentality has no basis in Christianity and is little more than a throw-back to our collective Puritanical roots. Nothing more.
it reminds me of the argument I got into with my Grandmother. She said that the wine jesus transformed from water was grape juice and that it was grape juice everytime wine was mentioned. THEN I had to go into the history of anti-fermentation techniques......*sigh*

PP
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:51:30 PM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:59:30 PM »

And don't forget the wicked Serbian plum brandy!
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »

If the Orthodox didn't approve of wine, they wouldn't even mention it on the fasting calendar (at least the EO calendar, from what I know). Wink

I indulge in a lambic or sangria once in a while or get a little champagne happy twice a year. I think that drunkenness is what should be avoided at all costs, and I'm a light-weight, so it's always one or two glasses for me. And I'm okay with that!

PS. Mr. Ismi and I almost cried when they gave out wine at a church raffle. AND we hosted a wine festival! We had to "hide" our drinking at other churches because no one else we knew drank...or admitted that they did. I heard a lot of lectures about evil alcohol and used to be one of the preachers myself, until I understood that you could drink moderately and not have it lend to sin.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:02:15 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 10:07:54 PM »

Which is awesomeness BTW Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 10:08:16 PM »

I mean, I realize you shouldnt get drunk, but whats wrong with a Guinness every now and then?  Or an awesome IPA? Maybe a glass of wine with my wife?

Actually my friend, that mentality has no basis in Christianity and is little more than a throw-back to our collective Puritanical roots. Nothing more.
it reminds me of the argument I got into with my Grandmother. She said that the wine jesus transformed from water was grape juice and that it was grape juice everytime wine was mentioned. THEN I had to go into the history of anti-fermentation techniques......*sigh*

PP

yea, ive heard those arguments too.  note that i grew up protestant AND in the bible belt (southern U.S.). It seems that this is the only place on the planet where alcohol is so heavily frowned upon.

the reason i brought it up was because I do contract music work for a HUGE baptist church in my area  (i mean tens of thousands).  As we finished leading worship a guy came up and did announcements for the college gathering I do music for.  They made t-shirts and all that stuff for the event and he was advertising that.  They also made koozies with the logo of the event i play guitar for.  He said that if anyone put alcohol in the koozie, he would punch them in the face!! in his defense, he was kind of joking, but at the same time it was a serious  reflection of what these people believe about alcohol.  I mean, it was a college gathering.  Most people there already drink alcohol probably.  Why say something like that?? I hope anyone who may have been offended still comes back next week.  I realize its a Protestant church, but I personally would rather have someone hear the gospel at a protestant church than not at all.  I also think the speaker does a good job.

Anyways, thats my situation.  Thats why I brought it up!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »

If the Orthodox didn't approve of wine, they wouldn't even mention it on the fasting calendar (at least the EO calendar, from what I know). Wink

I indulge in a lambic or sangria once in a while or get a little champagne happy twice a year. I think that drunkenness is what should be avoided at all costs, and I'm a light-weight, so it's always one or two glasses for me. And I'm okay with that!

PS. Mr. Ismi and I almost cried when they gave out wine at a church raffle. AND we hosted a wine festival! We had to "hide" our drinking at other churches because no one else we knew drank...or admitted that they did. I heard a lot of lectures about evil alcohol and used to be one of the preachers myself, until I understood that you could drink moderately and not have it lend to sin.

yea. i agree.

I mean, Im a guy who is 23 years old and weighs close to 200 pounds.  Im not a huge guy, but I can have 2 or 3 beers without even feeling a buzz.  ESPECIALLY if I have food, too.  I dont see what the difference is in me having 3 beers while watching a football game at a pub, and me having 3 cokes. 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 10:19:12 PM »

As I have argued with orthonorm in another thread, if your body can take 5 or 6 beers at a time and you don't get drunk, it becomes a matter of gluttony, not drunkenness. Wink Moderation is good when it comes to this stuff!

Obviously, I'm not going to look down on someone who abstains. I hate being with people that try to "force" the non-drinkers to drink. I end up sympathizing and drinking water in the corner with the Baptists just because I feel so bad for them. But I do have a problem with thinking that drinking any alcohol whatsoever is a horrible sin.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 10:24:15 PM »

I just had to post no one has said anything about a good vodka I swear there's something in that vodka to make all them pretty Russian women  laugh
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 10:24:22 PM »

Drinking unfermented grape juice in Communion, is like handling a non-venomous garter snake in a snake-handling service.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 10:30:38 PM »

Drinking unfermented grape juice in Communion, is like handling a non-venomous garter snake in a snake-handling service.

Except in the latter case, it's the only smart thing to do, while in the former it takes an appalling willful ignorance to advocate.

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 10:34:20 PM »

I just had to post no one has said anything about a good vodka I swear there's something in that vodka to make all them pretty Russian women  laugh

im not a huge vodka fan.  maybe because im not russian!! haha.  i do love some good whiskey though!!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 10:34:53 PM »

All women are pretty if you have enough vodka!  laugh laugh laugh
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 10:36:03 PM »

Is it wine or dairy?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 12:06:09 AM »

im not a huge vodka fan.  maybe because im not russian!! haha.  i do love some good whiskey though!!

I already liked my vodka (or "wodka" as Chekhov from Star Trek says), but it was taken to a whole new level when a family of Russian background in my parish brings around a frozen bottle of Stoli on Pascha while we feast on our Pascha basket contents.

Yum! Yum! Yum!
brandb

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 02:10:22 AM »

Vodka? No.
It's all about Tequila!  Cheesy

(On a serious note I do hope my parents one day feel the same way about me becoming Orthodox as they do about me drinking. Undecided I just don't get it. It's okay to drink, but it's not okay to be Orthodox?)
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 02:27:23 AM »

I gotta try that.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 03:05:44 AM »

I mean, I realize you shouldnt get drunk, but whats wrong with a Guinness every now and then?  Or an awesome IPA? Maybe a glass of wine with my wife?

At my Serbian parish, there is a well stocked bar in the fellowship hall for weddings and other special occasions. 
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 04:25:11 AM »

At my Serbian parish, there is a well stocked bar in the fellowship hall for weddings and other special occasions. 

At EVERY Serbian parish there is a well stocked bar in the fellowship hall for weddings and other special occasions.  laugh
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 05:58:07 AM »

No alcohol on fasting days?

I never heard about that... No WINE means beer is ok.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 02:54:44 PM »

At EVERY Serbian parish there is a well stocked bar in the fellowship hall for weddings and other special occasions.  laugh

Sounds like I need to join a Serbian parish...

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »

I like the way you think.

Jeez. Everyone's gonna think I'm an alcoholic. Im not, I promise!!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 03:10:04 PM »

I like the way you think.

Jeez. Everyone's gonna think I'm an alcoholic. Im not, I promise!!
It's okay, my entire church joins you in that. Wink

--
--
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 03:13:27 PM »

laugh
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 03:49:30 PM »

Oh boy, once you start talking with an Orthodox about wine and spirits, get ready for an earful (and quite possibly a mouthful)!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:49:57 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2011, 04:06:36 PM »

Oh boy, once you start talking with an Orthodox about wine and spirits, get ready for an earful (and quite possibly a mouthful)!  Cheesy
Or even a snootfull! (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/snootful) for those not familiar

PP

Gregory the Great

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »

Or even a snootfull! (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/snootful) for those not familiar

PP

Snootfull!!! I've never heard that before, but I'm going to start using that term. Haha.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 04:26:42 PM »

PP

Snootfull!!! I've never heard that before, but I'm going to start using that term. Haha.

You're in the South and never heard that? Really? You must be in Yankee friendly territory (a rareity where you're at  Cheesy Cheesy)

PP

Gregory the Great

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 04:44:35 PM »

PP

You're in the South and never heard that? Really? You must be in Yankee friendly territory (a rareity where you're at  Cheesy Cheesy)

PP

I don't know why I haven't heard it, but I'm certainly not in Yankee territory! I'm from the country (although my hometown has grown alot the last ten years!). They used to have to pressure wash my high school parking lot because all the mud them boys would bring in on their truck tires! (school was on a dirt road.) now, I live 5 min from ATL and even still the county I live in is the reddest (republican) county in the state. Haha.

Guess I've just been livin under a rock!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 04:53:09 PM »

PP

PP

I don't know why I haven't heard it, but I'm certainly not in Yankee territory! I'm from the country (although my hometown has grown alot the last ten years!). They used to have to pressure wash my high school parking lot because all the mud them boys would bring in on their truck tires! (school was on a dirt road.) now, I live 5 min from ATL and even still the county I live in is the reddest (republican) county in the state. Haha.

Dry county maybe? Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 05:16:26 PM »

Certainly not! Haha.

PP

PP

Dry county maybe? Smiley

PP

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 05:56:57 PM »

i grew up protestant AND in the bible belt (southern U.S.). It seems that this is the only place on the planet where alcohol is so heavily frowned upon.

I am embarassed to tell you that, unfortunately, in my "old" home country, Ukraine, Pentecostals and Seventh Day Adventists also preach complete abstention from alcohol.

My wife once was invited to a Ukrainian Pentecostal wedding and had the weirdest impression. She said it was just surreal. She ran away very soon.

And yes, where I live now, in the Southeastern USA, you see this exaggerated hate of alcohol all the time. A few years ago, my wife and I were at a Methodist wedding. A co-worker of my wife's, a guy from Croatia who was also at that wedding, said, "you know, I think when my Croatian grandfather died and we had a wake, people had much more fun than they are having here today..."

Love never fails.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »

I am embarassed to tell you that, unfortunately, in my "old" home country, Ukraine, Pentecostals and Seventh Day Adventists also preach complete abstention from alcohol.
Yes, but that is not part of Ukrainian culture at all. These are American-sponsored groups that have existed in Ukraine only for 20 years. And while they might attract some people wo want to stop drinking, or women wo suffer from alcoholic husbands, the vast majority of Ukrainians would never embrace a "dry" religion. Glory to God for that.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 08:18:14 PM »

Although I'm not 100% non-drinking, I do drink a lot less than I used to. I have to. I had a problem. Also, I was in a bad car wreck years ago. That really puts the damper on it. I don't bother those who drink, but I hope they'd do the same for me. It would be a shame if I go to a wedding and I'm not drunk and people think I'm a jerk because of that.
brandb

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »

Although I'm not 100% non-drinking, I do drink a lot less than I used to. I have to. I had a problem. Also, I was in a bad car wreck years ago. That really puts the damper on it. I don't bother those who drink, but I hope they'd do the same for me. It would be a shame if I go to a wedding and I'm not drunk and people think I'm a jerk because of that.

I wouldn't. Sad I don't drink all that often either (sometimes it's boring + I'm perpetually broke). It seems like a strange phenomenon to me to pressure non drinkers into drinking. I've never seen that. I do see people try to pressure them into accepting it (i.e. force them to stop saying it's wrong)... Not sure what to say to that.
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2011, 09:54:40 PM »

Beer is the staple of my diet during the fasting periods. Thank God for liquid bread, and thank God that I was received by the Serbs.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA - Direct Archdiocesan District

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 11:10:08 PM »

My priest is of the opinion that beer does not fall under the fast, though I don't know how feelings go on that.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 11:47:56 PM »

I thank god I do not need to ask the honourable priesthood and the (sub)diaconate in Christ as to what to eat or drink.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:49:33 PM by augustin717 » Logged
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 12:23:02 AM »

Soju all the way.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: