OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 09:40:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A fresh appraisal of Fr. Seraphim Rose from a priest of the OCA  (Read 2003 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: September 21, 2011, 09:55:45 AM »

"Also, Fr. Seraphim and ROCOR offer us the lesson of holy indifference to world political opinion—even (dare I say it) the political opinion of other Orthodox.  Do not misunderstand the point:  obviously Orthodoxy is conciliar to its core, so that prideful schism from other Orthodox is always wrong.  We in North America are part of a worldwide family, and there is no opting out of it.  But one must discern:  we can listen to our brothers out of humility, but we can also listen out of fear.  And, as the Scriptures remind us, the fear of man brings a snare (Prov. 29:25).  The hard truth is that we are not yet comfortable in our role as North American Orthodox.  We wear it like a pair of new shoes not yet broken in; we are too aware of them.  That is, we are not yet self-confident as North American Orthodox, and have a tendency (a natural tendency, but an unhelpful one) to cast glances around the globe to see how the other autocephalous churches regard us.  We are, I suggest, far too concerned about the praise of man, and therefore not sufficiently concerned about the praise of God...."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
authio
Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »

Where did you find this?

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »

click on the blue linked words in the opening sentence for the source.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »

Where did you find this?
Click the link.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:31:30 AM »

Could someone explain what is new or fresh about this appraisal? Smiley
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »

Could someone explain what is new or fresh about this appraisal? Smiley
I presumed it's new/fresh because Fr. Rose has been a controversial figure, placed at a safe distance by many American (especially OCA?) Orthodox, but now that OCA and ROCOR "have been reunited in official Eucharistic communion", it's time for those OCA wary of Fr. Rose to appreciate Fr. Rose's positive contributions to Orthodoxy in America.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:38:46 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »

Ahh, ok, I see what is meant by that then, thanks Smiley
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:47:27 AM »

You may also be interested in the sermon given on the 20th anniversary of Fr. Seraphim's repose by Fr. Thomas Hopko, Dean Emeritus of St. Vladimir's Seminary (OCA).

http://theorthodoxword.com/back%20articles/OW%20PDFs/226/with%20my%20whole%20heart%20I%20seek%20Thee.pdf

Among other things, Fr. Thomas says:

"If ever a human being lived on this earth who
sought God with his whole heart, whatever sins or errors he may have
had—and as the Orthodox requiem service says, there is no man who
lives who does not sin—it was Fr. Seraphim Rose."
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 12:01:25 PM »

You may also be interested in the sermon given on the 20th anniversary of Fr. Seraphim's repose by Fr. Thomas Hopko, Dean Emeritus of St. Vladimir's Seminary (OCA).

http://theorthodoxword.com/back%20articles/OW%20PDFs/226/with%20my%20whole%20heart%20I%20seek%20Thee.pdf

You have no idea the potential degree of cognitive dissonance this could cause me.

Oh pray me for me, you all.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »

You have no idea the potential degree of cognitive dissonance this could cause me.

Why would this cause you cognitive dissonance?

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 12:13:12 PM »

Ask my band of jackals. Or anyone else who properly keeps track of everything I post and say.

I hope they all have rent their garments in mourning.

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 12:15:28 PM »

You can also read the remarks of Fr. Patrick Reardon of the Antiochian Archdiocese on Fr. Seraphim, whom he seems to highly regard:

"Pilgrimage was my sole purpose: I wanted to pray at the tomb of Father Seraphim Rose, who died there in the odor of sanctity in 1982. I was able to fulfill that wish. Indeed, one of the monks also took me to visit the tiny cell where Father Seraphim lived, prayed, wrote, and studied. I observed that his bed consisted of plain wooden planks, with no mattress. Over the years I have visited monasteries past counting, but I confess that the Platina monastery, dedicated to St. Herman of Alaska, is far-and-away the most ascetical place I have ever been in my life.

"As for Father Seraphim, I think he has had no equal—this side of the Atlantic—as a Christian apologist and critic of modern thought. My intellectual debt to him is past calculation. For instance, it was from Father Seraphim that I became familiar with the writings of Rene Guenon, who (along with Richard Weaver and Eric Voegelin) transformed my whole approach to modern philosophy."

Read the full post here:

http://classicalworld.wordpress.com/2010/03/29/fr-patrick-fr-seraphim-rose-and-gps/

JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »

Ask my band of jackals. Or anyone else who properly keeps track of everything I post and say.

No thanks. I was asking you. If you don't want to explain, that's fine; but I'm not going to ask other users to tell me what you think, nor am I going to waste time searching through your posts.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 12:19:41 PM »

And then there is the following podcast by Fr. Peter Alban Heers of Thessalonica in Greece (founder of Uncut Mountain Press) regarding Fr. Seraphim's reputation in Greece and in other traditionally Orthodox countries:

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/postcards/fr._seraphim_rose_in_greece

Among other things, Fr. Peter states:

"So much so, that when I was in Serbia just a few years ago, I was impressed to see that Fr. Seraphim was, especially by many young people, really considered to be a saint. They had icons made of him, and they considered that he was a holy saint, a holy man, of the Church.

"The words of the Lord came to my mind, “A prophet has no honor in his own country.” In America, Fr. Seraphim, although venerated by many and with many miracles associated with his life after his repose, is sometimes seen as controversial because of his writings, especially on the soul after death. He is seen as controversial or just plain wrong. Whereas here in Greece, a traditional Orthodox country, we see that this book, The Soul After Death, has been the most positively received of all the books Fr. Seraphim has written.

"Really, there is, no controversy surrounding him as far as I am aware in Greece. In fact, in our own diocese, a new book on the soul after death has just been published by the Protosingulos (the second after the Bishop), and he extensively cites Fr. Seraphim’s writings and appeals to his authority on the subject of the soul after death, which is quite remarkable. This young American convert has now become an authority for Greek Archimandrites and clergy here in this Orthodox country of 2,000 years.

"There are many stories one could tell about the spread of the veneration of Fr. Seraphim here in Greece. I was just contacted a few days ago by a very zealous couple here who have done a number of translations in English. She is a Greek-speaking woman who grew up in New York, and he is a teacher of English here in Thessaloniki. They’ve done translations of publications. They have contacted me and asked that I pass on a number of names of their family to be prayed for by the monks in Platina. They told me how much love they have for Fr. Seraphim and that they have read Fr. Seraphim: His Life and Works a number of times, so much so that they feel like they have come to know Fr. Seraphim personally.

"Such stories are many here in northern Greece, at least in my experience...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:52:05 PM by jah777 » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »

Can you disown a spiritual grandfather?  Huh

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 12:31:15 PM »

Can you disown a spiritual grandfather?  Huh

Or accept a "Saint" who [joke redacted]. (Not at all what you think.)

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »

And, if  you are interested in more, there is a 3 part interview of Fr. Damascene of Platina on Fr. Seraphim (Rose) that was recorded by the Illumined Heart program of Ancient Faith Radio in honor of the 25th anniversary of Fr. Seraphim's repose:

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/illuminedheart/father_seraphim_rose_spiritual_father

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/illuminedheart/fr_seraphim_rose_the_man_the_struggler

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/illuminedheart/fr_seraphim_rose_prayer_and_orthodox_spirituality

Fr. Damascene: "Fr. Seraphim has as much veneration in Russia, in fact maybe more so than anywhere else... Now he’s being venerated in Greece. His Life and Works is in Greek, and many people venerate him in Greece. Also in Serbia, they already call him St. Seraphim."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:44:23 PM by jah777 » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 12:34:24 PM »

No thanks. I was asking you. If you don't want to explain, that's fine; but I'm not going to ask other users to tell me what you think, nor am I going to waste time searching through your posts.

It was sorta a joke. Inside baseball. I figured I've run my mouth enough about Fr. Thom and Fr. Seraphim of Platina that enough folks would get the point.

If you stop by chat we will talk it up. No one particularly is going to care about my take on Fr. Seraphim of Platina or more so his devotees.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: