OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 08:28:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I said, it's not really loud in here!: 'silent club' the latest trend?  (Read 863 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: September 21, 2011, 06:48:04 AM »

Would you go out for a night on the town, only to slap earphones on your head? A new entertainment company is betting that you will. At 'silent discos,' people don't listen to a DJ over a sound system. They just put on wireless headsets.

From the article:
“People would think its anti-social, but it ends up being the exact opposite,” says Ryan Dowd, owner of Silent Events, Inc., who caters Silent Disco events around the country. “If you meet someone or give them the eye on the dance floor, there’s no way to talk in a loud, crowded club without going outside, but this way you can literally take off the headphones in the center of the dance floor and talk in an inside voice steps from the DJ.”

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:40:24 AM »

Would you go out for a night on the town, only to slap earphones on your head? A new entertainment company is betting that you will. At 'silent discos,' people don't listen to a DJ over a sound system. They just put on wireless headsets.

From the article:
“People would think its anti-social, but it ends up being the exact opposite,” says Ryan Dowd, owner of Silent Events, Inc., who caters Silent Disco events around the country. “If you meet someone or give them the eye on the dance floor, there’s no way to talk in a loud, crowded club without going outside, but this way you can literally take off the headphones in the center of the dance floor and talk in an inside voice steps from the DJ.”
I wonder how this would work in church?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:01:03 AM »

And I thought this was a take on the Diogenes Club of Sherlock Holmes fame. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:44:52 AM »

And I thought this was a take on the Diogenes Club of Sherlock Holmes fame. 

Zounds! I was swear I was going to post just this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 10:47:11 AM »

The elimination of music in pubic is great everywhere for the most part. Its the reason when I walked into target I immediately felt a sense of relief. No music.

Everywhere has music, TV, etc. in the States.

Being someone who cannot not hear everything going on, it is quite exhausting.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 10:49:36 AM »

As someone who rode Amtrak fairly regularly -- I want to go to one of those and hear how "silent" it is for myself. I can somehow hear what everyone is listening to around me on the train, even with headphones. We listen to music much too loudly.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 10:55:32 AM »

As someone who rode Amtrak fairly regularly -- I want to go to one of those and hear how "silent" it is for myself. I can somehow hear what everyone is listening to around me on the train, even with headphones. We listen to music much too loudly.

I am with you. Sheeesh. Taking the ghettro the other day, it wasn't just music but cellphones on speaker, etc., music being played through cellphone on speaker . . .

I wear earplugs most of the time in public and I still hear aggravation.

FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:04:19 AM »

I usually have earplugs in my possibles bag.  Whenever I have to officiate a wedding, I pretty much know I will need them for the party afterwards.  Our Middle Eastern families like to have über-loud music at their parties, and after a few sleepless nights with tinnitus I started carrying earplugs.

Headphones, however, might not help, unless companies start renting them 400 at a time.

The last wedding I was at, I actually forgot my earplugs and ran across the street from the church to a pharmacy and bought a bag of them.  By the end of the evening, I had handed them all out!

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:10:32 AM »

People won't take the headphones off at a dance club.  It would just be a full room of people yelling at each other.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »

I am with you. Sheeesh. Taking the ghettro the other day, it wasn't just music but cellphones on speaker, etc., music being played through cellphone on speaker . . .

Were we to live in the same city, I would suggest we start our own Diogenes Club.

I can tolerate noise to a certain degree (after all, I play punk rock!) but one of the reasons I like my job (librarian) is the quiet.  Oh wait, I used to like that aspect of my job until the idiot architects who designed our new digs created an open floor plan on a floor that we directly share with two other departments and placed us right near the only access doors to the floor, making us one of the noisiest areas in the entire firm.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »

Were we to live in the same city, I would suggest we start our own Diogenes Club.

I can tolerate noise to a certain degree (after all, I play punk rock!) but one of the reasons I like my job (librarian) is the quiet.  Oh wait, I used to like that aspect of my job until the idiot architects who designed our new digs created an open floor plan on a floor that we directly share with two other departments and placed us right near the only access doors to the floor, making us one of the noisiest areas in the entire firm.

Dude its like we are soul mates. Our place went to an "agile" environment. As if cubes, weren't bad enough.

But they did create a "quiet" sealed off room, which I try to get a seat in before the day begins. And I allow no music to be played in the lab. Single earphone or else.

I listen to deathsludgesouthernblackbolivian metal. But there is a time and place.

I don't understand how folks can listen to music all the time or the TV.

FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 12:44:49 PM »

Is that related to Norwegian Black Metal?

I listen to deathsludgesouthernblackbolivian metal.

The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 01:28:48 PM »

Father,

I was sorta jesting at the whole sub-sub-sub-sub genre music thing.

But it probably exists. Some variant of Rule 34.

In sincerity, I do still pop in some Sludge / Southern / Death Metal. That does "exist".

Back in the day I was into a little Bolivian Speed metal.

And some Black Metal is OK.

Sorta looking forward to tuning into the Orthodox CD music thread Trevor started. To see if there is anything there worth listening to.

I rarely listen to music. And when I do, I listen to it. Sit, listen. Except for some montagesque sorta stuff when I am skipping rope and other foolishness or washing dishes.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 01:39:32 PM »

Perhaps an act like Xasthur or Sunn 0))) would count as black metal sludge.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »

The closest to metal my kids are allowed to listen to is Corvus Corax.  With my hearing damage, I can't make out much from metal.

Father,

In sincerity, I do still pop in some Sludge / Southern / Death Metal. That does "exist".

Sorta looking forward to tuning into the Orthodox CD music thread Trevor started. To see if there is anything there worth listening to.

I rarely listen to music. And when I do, I listen to it. Sit, listen. Except for some montagesque sorta stuff when I am skipping rope and other foolishness or washing dishes.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 02:25:31 PM »

The closest to metal my kids are allowed to listen to is Corvus Corax.  With my hearing damage, I can't make out much from metal.

Father,

Father,

Not that it is any of my business, but do you suffer from eyesight difficulties? I always wonder about your choice in font selection.

Perhaps it is to help your posts to stand out.

If not, I would be curious how you read the materials you must to stay abreast of most things, given that changing the font size would suggest a lack of an easy way to help you see text.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 04:39:05 PM »

At first I thought this was going to be about places where you could go and just sit in silence next to people. That'd be awesome. I'm so let down by what it actually is...

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 04:43:30 PM »

The closest to metal my kids are allowed to listen to is Corvus Corax. 
A very good choice if they can't listen to metal. Wink

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »

Many of my longer posts I 'import' from a word processing program, so I got in the habit of bringing over the formatting.  However, the font change is for two reasons:

1.  When I first started lurking, I noticed that posters were often (and still continue to) apologize to one another for flaming the wrong person.  Changing the fonts helps reduce that problem.

2. When long dialogs take place, it is easier to track my own responses and how they are quoted or responded to.

I don't suppose my eyesight is much worse than most my age.  I do use the 'big font' on my Kindle, which has helped me speed up my reading considerably!  However, on my browser/screen, the font I use is the same size as everyone else's.  I was not aware that it was distractingly larger.  Is it?

Father,

Father,

Not that it is any of my business, but do you suffer from eyesight difficulties? I always wonder about your choice in font selection.

If not, I would be curious how you read the materials you must to stay abreast of most things, given that changing the font size would suggest a lack of an easy way to help you see text.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 07:41:24 PM »

Many of my longer posts I 'import' from a word processing program, so I got in the habit of bringing over the formatting.  However, the font change is for two reasons:

1.  When I first started lurking, I noticed that posters were often (and still continue to) apologize to one another for flaming the wrong person.  Changing the fonts helps reduce that problem.

2. When long dialogs take place, it is easier to track my own responses and how they are quoted or responded to.

I don't suppose my eyesight is much worse than most my age.  I do use the 'big font' on my Kindle, which has helped me speed up my reading considerably!  However, on my browser/screen, the font I use is the same size as everyone else's.  I was not aware that it was distractingly larger.  Is it?

The closest to metal my kids are allowed to listen to is Corvus Corax.  With my hearing damage, I can't make out much from metal.

Father,

Father,

Dear Father,

Father Bless!

Yes, your font size is larger, but I rather enjoy it because your posts stand out and are worth reading.

Smiley

Respectfully in Christ,
Maria
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:42:08 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 07:46:37 PM »

Many of my longer posts I 'import' from a word processing program, so I got in the habit of bringing over the formatting.  However, the font change is for two reasons:

1.  When I first started lurking, I noticed that posters were often (and still continue to) apologize to one another for flaming the wrong person.  Changing the fonts helps reduce that problem.

I don't suppose my eyesight is much worse than most my age.  I do use the 'big font' on my Kindle, which has helped me speed up my reading considerably!  However, on my browser/screen, the font I use is the same size as everyone else's.  I was not aware that it was distractingly larger.  Is it?

No Father. I do enjoy a larger font. Eyestrain and all that.

I think it fine. If everyone was using different fonts and colors and the like, then that would be crazy.

Just wondering how folks who may be visually impaired handle things.

I use a larger size on the Kindle as well.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 09:32:07 PM »

Many of my longer posts I 'import' from a word processing program, so I got in the habit of bringing over the formatting.  However, the font change is for two reasons:

1.  When I first started lurking, I noticed that posters were often (and still continue to) apologize to one another for flaming the wrong person.  Changing the fonts helps reduce that problem.

I don't suppose my eyesight is much worse than most my age.  I do use the 'big font' on my Kindle, which has helped me speed up my reading considerably!  However, on my browser/screen, the font I use is the same size as everyone else's.  I was not aware that it was distractingly larger.  Is it?

No Father. I do enjoy a larger font. Eyestrain and all that.

I think it fine. If everyone was using different fonts and colors and the like, then that would be crazy.

Just wondering how folks who may be visually impaired handle things.

I use a larger size on the Kindle as well.

There are posters on other forums who use multiple bright colors along with bolded, italiicized, underlined, and enlarged text.
It is very difficult to read their posts, and people tend to treat them as trolls.

Those posts are considered to be loud and rude.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:34:21 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 11:36:01 PM »

Some variant of Rule 34.

Wow, OCnet is quickly becoming /b/.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tags: music  entertainment silent disco 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: