OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:12:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Addressing a Coptic deacon  (Read 734 times) Average Rating: 0
Andrew - The First Called

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Ireland, Scotland, North East England and its Affiliated Regions

« on: September 20, 2011, 02:21:05 PM »

We have a deacon (an actual deacon, i don't mean one of the many in the minor orders) at our church and I was just wondering, is there a proper way to address him? Would I address him as 'deacon', 'father deacon' ? If anyone knows please could you let me know. Thanks.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »

We have a deacon (an actual deacon, i don't mean one of the many in the minor orders) at our church and I was just wondering, is there a proper way to address him? Would I address him as 'deacon', 'father deacon' ? If anyone knows please could you let me know. Thanks.

No sure of the spelling, but we would address him as "Basson" and his name e.g. Basson George. Its pronouned as "Bass" like the fish and "on" with a slighty heavier "o".  I hope that makes sense.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Andrew - The First Called

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Ireland, Scotland, North East England and its Affiliated Regions

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 06:52:51 AM »

Thank You
cs

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 10:53:06 AM »

No sure of the spelling, but we would address him as "Basson" and his name e.g. Basson George. Its pronouned as "Bass" like the fish and "on" with a slighty heavier "o".  I hope that makes sense.

From my understanding, "Pason" means "brother".  I'm not sure that is how we are supposed to refer to deacons - do you have a reference? Would be interesting to know!
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 12:21:45 PM »

It means 'my brother'.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
cs

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 02:28:18 PM »

It means 'my brother'.

Sorry, Father, that's what I meant, but I don't know if that is how we are to address deacons.  (I've never met an Orthodox deacon!)
Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 06:32:53 PM »

I don't think this is an appropriate way to address a deacon.

I believe this confusion comes from the prayer for the departed, where the deacon's response, which refers to every group as "our fathers", except for deacons, where it says "our brethren the deacons", and then goes on to refer to "our fathers the laymen."

I believe that this is because this deacon's response would, shockingly, have originally been said by a deacon, not a chanter or reader. As such it makes sense for them to refer to their fellow deacons as brothers. I do not believe though that it indicates that they should always be called Brother as a title, since even laymen who have no order are called Fathers in the prayer.

I'm told that the old, authentic tradition of the whole Church is to refer to them as "Father Deacon", as the EO do today. However, I'll bet that this tradition died for us when our 'deacons' started being 6 year old boys. Since it is currently in disuse, it would be strange to address them as "Father Deacon Name", but "Brother Name" certainly isn't respectful to a member of the major orders. "Deacon Name" would be a good compromise.
Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 06:34:36 PM »

It means 'my brother'.

The direct literal translation of "Pa Son" is certainly "My Brother". However, "Abouna so-and-so" is not translated to English as "Our Father so-and-so", but "Fr. So-and-so". In the same way, the less literal translation to the formal English title "Brother" is appropriate, rather than the most literal rendering.
Tags: proper titles deacons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: