OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:43:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catechumens Moving/Changing Jurisdictions  (Read 534 times) Average Rating: 0
Stephanos Nikolaos

Faith: Pre-Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Currently OCA

Hosanna in the highest!

« on: September 20, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »

Hello,

I am planning on becoming a catechumen soon, but I have some questions concerning two factors that may take place before Chrismation. First off, I'll be moving after this year's Spring semester ends. So my first question is, what would happen to my state of being a catechumen in a situation like that.

Second, I am really attracted to the Antioch jurisdiction, but don't have an Antioch Church in my region. So the second question is that if I start going to an Antiochian Church while I'm still a catechumen, would I have restart the process of being a catechumen or would the Antioch Church recognize me as a catechumen?

Overall I'm just asking these questions in order to decide when to become a catechumen.

In Christ,
Nicholas

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 01:13:54 PM »

When in doubt ask the priest, plus you'll be ok.. being orthodox you can't control everything and letting it up to the Lord is what you have to do..

TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »

You say YOU are planning on becoming a catechumen soon, but what does the priest of the parish where you’ve been attending the most say about that? You might think you’re ready, but the priest has different ideas.

Where have you been attending? I know multiple people who’ve gone between the Antiochians and the OCA as catechumens, for example, with little trouble.

As to the question of if you would have to restart the catechumenate from the beginning, it really depends on the priest of the parish where you’re moving. The priest will talk to you, find out what sort of instruction you’ve had, possibly even talk to the priest of the parish you’re leaving.

Do you know where you’ll be moving? If so, talk to the priest there NOW (or email him). Talk to the priest where you’ve been attending, as well. You never know, the two priests might know each other and that can help smooth things along.
Stephanos Nikolaos

Hosanna in the highest!

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 01:31:54 PM »

You say YOU are planning on becoming a catechumen soon, but what does the priest of the parish where you’ve been attending the most say about that? You might think you’re ready, but the priest has different ideas.

The Priest gave me resources when I've expressed my interest in converting. I'll have further conversation with him about it next time I see him.

Where have you been attending? I know multiple people who’ve gone between the Antiochians and the OCA as catechumens, for example, with little trouble.

I'm currently attending at the OCA.

As to the question of if you would have to restart the catechumenate from the beginning, it really depends on the priest of the parish where you’re moving. The priest will talk to you, find out what sort of instruction you’ve had, possibly even talk to the priest of the parish you’re leaving.

Do you know where you’ll be moving? If so, talk to the priest there NOW (or email him). Talk to the priest where you’ve been attending, as well. You never know, the two priests might know each other and that can help smooth things along.

Thanks for all the advice. Smiley You've answered my questions completely haha. Smiley

In Christ,
Nicholas

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 01:45:01 PM »

Nicholas, well, if you've not learned it by now, in many situations in Orthodoxy, there are no answers until you talk to the priest involved.

It's not like telling someone coming from a Jewish or Muslim background that they will DEFINITELY have to be baptized to enter the Church. In Orthodoxy, there are shades of grey in many situations.
gzt

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, then GOA, now OCA

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »

Talk to your priest and work from there. When you move, talk to your new priest, who may or may not talk to your old priest. At the end of the day, it's up to both of them and up to you. Hey, your current priest might baptize you this Pascha. I'm mildly surprised that, at your current state of development, you have an opinion about what jurisdiction you want to be in and in your choice, but, whatever.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 07:26:08 PM »

Before you move, find the parish you think you would like to attend.  Then make sure you get to that parish the very first Sunday after you move.  Then make sure you get to that parish (or another one, if you wind up not liking it) the very next Sunday as well.  My experience of having moved as a catechuman is that you should NOT delay getting to Church!

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 07:52:57 PM »

Yes, Nicholas, that reminded me to ask...

What's this affinity for Antioch if no parishes in your area? Have you attended one at all?

Make plenty sure you want to go Antiochian before you get settled in a new parish.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:50:51 PM »

The Priest where you currently are will usually write a lettercurrent  to the priest where you are going, explaining where you are in the catechumen process and that priest will continue  and change your program to the way his parish and jurisdiction teaches their catechumen.

There should be no problem in going from one area or jursidiction to another as long as the jurisidctions are in communion with each other.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Stephanos Nikolaos

Hosanna in the highest!

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »

Yes, Nicholas, that reminded me to ask...

What's this affinity for Antioch if no parishes in your area? Have you attended one at all?

Make plenty sure you want to go Antiochian before you get settled in a new parish.

I'm definitely going to make sure I want to go Antiochian before I switch jurisdictions. The reason I've been considering the Antiochian jurisdiction are due to the different departments and organizations within the jurisdiction and the missionary work.

Oh, also to answer your statement about the Priest being involved in my decisions, I am definitely aware of that. It was one of the many reasons why I've wanted to convert in the first place, along with historical and theological reasons.

Thanks again for all the advice, everyone. Smiley

Nicholas

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 01:26:52 AM »

This may be going off tanget. But does it really matter which jurisdiction you attend? People seem to make that way too big of an issue. I really hope the OCA takes over all of America soon, that may help this jurisdiction struggle a bit.

I won't accept the "it's my culture" argument. We are in America, so OCA should be the obvious choice, hopefully over time this will happen. I'm not complaining about wanting my particular culture of my family, I go where there is a church near to me.

This all roots back to people need to accept the OCA as the church of america. Sorry, but this really really bugs me.

Forgive my sins.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: