OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 12:03:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CD's of Orthodox music?  (Read 3258 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: September 20, 2011, 08:38:49 AM »

I finally figured out how to get itunes to work on my laptop, and was looking for some good Orthodox music.  I can't stand contemporary "Jesus is my boyfriend" music, which I have found by "Orthodox" musicians.  So far, my favorites are Eikona and Divna Ljubojevic.

What are some other good CD'S/artists that are worth listening too?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:11:26 AM »

I finally figured out how to get itunes to work on my laptop, and was looking for some good Orthodox music.  I can't stand contemporary "Jesus is my boyfriend" music, which I have found by "Orthodox" musicians.  So far, my favorites are Eikona and Divna Ljubojevic.

What are some other good CD'S/artists that are worth listening too?

You might see if something by Cappella Romana is to your liking:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/cappella-romana/id278526144
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:18:15 AM »

Rachmaninov - Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom

2 - The Orthodox Divine Liturgy: Master, Bless!, Archangel Voices

3 - The Divine Liturgy in English in Byzantine Chant, Cappella Romana

4 - Sacred Treasures: Choral Masterworks from Russia

5 - Russian Sacred Music. O Holy Russ, Keep Thou the Orthodox Faith, The choir of the Patriarchal Cathedral of the Epiphany

6 - Russian Sacred Choral Masterpieces, The Russian Orthodox Cathedral Choir Of Paris

7 - Russian Orthodox Church Music for Lent and Holy Easter (Orthodox Passover), St. Peter St. Paul Cathedral Choir of Minsk

8 - Russian Choral Church Music,St. Petersburg Orthodox Choir

9 - Resurrection! Orthodox Chants And Hymns Of Holy Pascha, Archangel Voices

10 - Orthodox Sacred Chants For Soloist And Male Choir,Irina Arkhipova / "Orthodox Singers" Choir, Choirmaster: Georgy Smirnov

11- Chants From Orthodox Vespers & Liturgy, Ascention Church Choir (Maloe), Moscow, F. Stroganov & S. Serafimovich

12 -Ancient Psalms of the Orthodox Church, Chamber Choir Lege Artis

You are being warned for 21 days because of your multiple postings of naked links.  Any time you post a link there must be a description of what you are posting, somewhere. 

Therefore, you are also being asked to provide me the full list of explanations to all of your links by Thursday at noon PST (a little more than 24 hours).  Please send me the explanations via Private Message. 

-Serb1389. General Fora Moderator
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:18:46 PM by serb1389 » Logged
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 12:05:35 PM »

Any of the CDs from the St. Vladimir's Seminary Choir for Russian chant in English.

For Byzantine chant in English, the Boston Byzantine choir (stuff you'd likely hear in an Antiochian parish).
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »

1.  One of my favorites is Roman Hurko - Ukrainian and Church Slavonic - http://www.romanhurko.com/
LOVE THEM! LOVE THEM! LOVE THEM!!!
The Vydubychi Church Choir is the first choir in Ukraine, to sing in Ukrainian!  Double points!

2. Sacred Treasures I, II and III:  Russian Chant in Church Slavonic.  Very soothing and soft - http://www.liturgica.com/cart/musicInfo.jsp?catNo=AJ048

3.  Chants from Valaam - also in Church Slavonic - very crisp, clean and moving.  http://www.liturgica.com/cart/musicInfo.jsp?catNo=AJ035

4.  The live recording I made of the Divine Liturgy during the closing of the UOCofUSA Sobor last year.  I've listened to it a gazillion times!

5....and this is my hands down favorite hymn/composition.  It comes on one of the Roman Hurko's CD's.  http://www.musicarussica.com/multimedia/clips/k50_trk04.mp3 (This is only a short snippet...it get's better and better towards the end.)  You can download just that one song from Roman Hurko for 0.99 cents - http://www.romanhurko.com/productDetails.cfm?CDID=1#player
I first heard this on Holy Pentecost driving alone in my car...on the generic Classic Music Station....I turned up the volume as high as it would go, as I immediately recognized it as an "Orthodox" tune....it had me close to tears by the time it finished.  The announcer came back on when it finished...after a long pause...and said "listening to that tune, I almost forgot to breath."  It was true.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:18:55 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 06:45:27 PM »

Fr. Apostolos Hill's CDs are excellent. I think you can get them from musicarussica.com. There are three of them, so maybe you want to wait until Christmas.  Wink All I can say is the harmonies are amazing. 

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 06:53:05 PM »

I would make the following recommendations:

Get the catalog of the Russian Patriarchate Choir. Most of it is out of print but you can get the torrent here: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4255760/Russian_Patriarchate_Choir They do amazing recordings of Znamenny. Their albums Suprasl and the Divine Liturgy for the Feast of Sts. Peter and Paul are my favorites.

Get Divna's CD Lumieres du Chant Byzantine if you don't have it already.

My absolute favorite Byzantine chant CD is Mihalis Makris' Christmas album which Holy Transfiguration Monastery sells. A sample here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDwCsQjL28g&feature=related

A great Georgian album is here: http://www.amazon.com/Georgian-Chants-Chanters-Group/dp/B004KZQAJQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1316559066&sr=1-1

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:57:32 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »

Fr. Apostolos Hill's CDs are excellent. I think you can get them from musicarussica.com. There are three of them, so maybe you want to wait until Christmas.  Wink All I can say is the harmonies are amazing.  

I second that.
You might also want to get a copy of

With the Voice of an Archangel produced under the direction of Vladimir Morosan, copyright 2003.

It is excellent. I used one of the songs for a production of Dante's Divine Comedy in one of my Western Civ classes back in 2004.

The students, of different faiths with not a few atheists and agnostics, were awestruck.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:57:24 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 07:36:27 PM »

Agreed on the recs of Fr. Apostolos Hill and With the Voice of the Archangel, actually any of the Archangel Voices CDs. But I was typing on my phone, so I had to keep it short. Grin

One of the first Orthodox CDs I owned is "Attend, O Heaven: Orthodox Hymns of the Great Lent and Pascha" by the choir of St. Seraphim Church (OCA) in Santa Rosa, CA. Blew me away! And if you're in an OCA parish, it will help you to learn how to sing "The Angel Cried" and "Let God Arise" (the Paschal verses). Has lots of hymns I've not seen others record, at least not on English-language CDs. "By the Waters of Babylon" just stops you in your tracks. I consider this to be the best Lenten CD I've ever heard.

http://anaphorapress.com/music/music/attend-oh-haven/
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:38:17 PM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 07:37:33 PM »

Fr. Apostolos sounds like a pop singer to me. I like his material, I even like his voice, but something about his delivery is off.

For English Byzantine chant, Cappella Romana's Divine Liturgy can't be beat.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:37:52 PM by Iconodule » Logged

TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 07:47:43 PM »

Fr. Apostolos sounds like a pop singer to me. I like his material, I even like his voice, but something about his delivery is off.

For English Byzantine chant, Cappella Romana's Divine Liturgy can't be beat.

Capella Romana's CD "Lay Aside All Earthly Cares," consisting solely of Fr. Sergei Glagolev's settings of hymns is wonderful.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 07:48:15 PM »

With the Voice of an Archangel produced under the direction of Vladimir Morosan, copyright 2003.

It is excellent. I used one of the songs for a production of Dante's Divine Comedy in one of my Western Civ classes back in 2004.

The students, of different faiths with not a few atheists and agnostics, were awestruck.

I love this CD and know it well. Which track did you use? I'm curious.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 08:00:41 PM »

The Divine Liturgy recording by the Mount Lebanon Choir has some fantastic singing. If you can hear the Epistle and chills don't go down your spine, something's wrong.  angel

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 08:00:52 PM »

Thank you all for this.

I just can't listen to music anymore except the same eight songs.

I find most of the Russian big names writing liturgical music large too much.

Please keep posting links of stuff to sample.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 10:13:28 PM »

One of the first Orthodox CDs I owned is "Attend, O Heaven: Orthodox Hymns of the Great Lent and Pascha" by the choir of St. Seraphim Church (OCA) in Santa Rosa, CA. Blew me away! And if you're in an OCA parish, it will help you to learn how to sing "The Angel Cried" and "Let God Arise" (the Paschal verses). Has lots of hymns I've not seen others record, at least not on English-language CDs. "By the Waters of Babylon" just stops you in your tracks. I consider this to be the best Lenten CD I've ever heard.

http://anaphorapress.com/music/music/attend-oh-haven/

Cry *sniffle*

I miss the good people of St. Seraphim...it was the local OCA parish (about 15 minutes from home) before I moved to New Mexico about 2 months ago. I heartily recommend this CD. It's heavenly. If memory serves, they've done another one; I can't remember what it's called, but I vaguely remember seeing it for sale at the last one of their Glendi festivals I attended before moving (which I highly recommend attending, if you're ever in area; eat Greek, Levantine, and Ethiopian food, do some Greek folk dancing, and then head up the road a ways to see the historic Russian settlement of Fort Ross...  Smiley)

Sigh...

Something related to the topic, you say? Fine, fine. Since others have covered pretty well the Slavic and related chant, why not try some Arabic? One of my absolute favorites is the dear departed Metropolitan of Tripoli, Lebanon, Elias Korban (Qurban, if you're a stickler for transliteration), who did at least one amazing album of Byzantine chant in 1977 (it's just called "Divine Byzantine Chant", I think). I don't know if it's been reissued on CD or what, but copies of it show up on E-bay fairly regularly for $8-$12, if you have the appropriate equipment to play LPs. Check it out:

Enna el-Baraya

Byzantine Arabic chant on CD is taken care of pretty well by the Choir of Balamand Monastery (Lebanon), who have several CDs out (I have the one for the feast of St. John Damascene; it's great!), or the School of Ecclesiastical Music of Mt. Lebanon (particularly their later CDs).

And while it's not part of the Eastern Orthodox tradition that you're probably looking for, I would be negligent in posting music recommendations without at least linking to the incredibly powerful voice of my favorite Coptic Orthodox "mo'alim", the one and only Gad Lewis:

Shere Ne Maria (A Coptic hymn praising St. Mary, St. Rafael, St. Mark, etc.)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:21:44 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 10:16:44 PM »

Here's a link with some Carpatho Russian (Orthodox) plain chant. Just click the "Listen On-line" links, which will take you to new pages. On those pages click on the links that say "Download MP3 Files/Subscribe to the Podcast In A Reader," which will take you to yet other pages. And finally once you get to those pages, right-click and save the mp3s to wherever you want on your hard drive using "save target as".

Then just burn to CD or mp3 player...

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 10:18:52 PM »

BTW this album is available from the iTunes store also.

Another good Georgian album available there is by the Georgian Harmony Choir: http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/the-georgian-harmony-choir/id296525778

Probably the best single place to get Orthodox music downloads though is liturgicamusic.com

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 01:42:36 PM »

Byzantine Arabic chant on CD is taken care of pretty well by the Choir of Balamand Monastery (Lebanon), who have several CDs out (I have the one for the feast of St. John Damascene; it's great!), or the School of Ecclesiastical Music of Mt. Lebanon (particularly their later CDs).

Their Christmas album is great. Here's a song from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngPPjzFD7m8&feature=related

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 10:01:04 PM »

The modern Russian big choir style with Western-ish sound took a while to grow on me, but it did. Some of the best stuff I've heard in this vein is from the St. John of San Francisco Men's Chorale. They have two albums as far as I know, available here:

http://www.liturgicamusic.com/store/process.php?pname=ShowAlbumDetailsProcess-Start&CategoryID=6&AlbumID=52

http://www.liturgicamusic.com/store/process.php?pname=ShowAlbumDetailsProcess-Start&CategoryID=6&AlbumID=54

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Protestant Universalist

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 10:23:35 PM »

Their Christmas album is great. Here's a song from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngPPjzFD7m8&feature=related
That's beautiful.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The San Franciscan Orthodox Church of New York, Big Apple and Fourth Rome

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 10:41:01 PM »

Not sure if these have already been put down, but these are the albums that I have on my iPod so far:

Ancient Psalms of the Orthodox Church

The Glory of Byzantium

Chants From the Holyland

Basso Profundo From Old Russia

Orthodox Chants from Bulgaria

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 03:55:53 PM »

Here's a link with some Carpatho Russian (Orthodox) plain chant. Just click the "Listen On-line" links, which will take you to new pages. On those pages click on the links that say "Download MP3 Files/Subscribe to the Podcast In A Reader," which will take you to yet other pages. And finally once you get to those pages, right-click and save the mp3s to wherever you want on your hard drive using "save target as".

Then just burn to CD or mp3 player...

Really enjoying this.

Also, does anyone use Spotify to find this stuff?  Anyone found anything good on there?  There are a couple of Cappella Roman albums, but not the most recent one of the Divine Liturgy...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 10:14:02 PM »

Anything by the monks of Simonaspetra is gold.  Other good groups are the school of Ecclesiastical Music, Mt. Lebanon Choir (I've heard that they and the school of Ecclesisastical music are one and the same but I'm not sure), Capella Romana, Romeiko ensemble. 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: