OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 12:43:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which saint was that?  (Read 351 times) Average Rating: 0
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« on: September 20, 2011, 03:26:15 AM »

Hey people,

I am doing a research on the lives of saints and need your help.

Do you happen by any chance to know the name of the priest/monk saint who was accused of sleeping with a harlot and making her pregnant? He was later cleared of guilt and proven innocent when the harlot's baby miraculously spoke and identified his real father.

Yesterday I found out that David Gareji experienced this kind of an incident. However, he is said to have made the infant speak while he was still in his mother's womb. Is there a similar story that talks of a saint who made the infant speak after his birth? Do we venerate such a saint? Could his name be Gregory or George?

Thanks from now for your help.

Peace,
Theophilos

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:10:34 AM »

I think it's St. Ephrem the Syrian:

A slanderous charge, however, was laid against him in his youthful manhood, which, but for supernatural interposition granted to his prayer, would have ruined his good name. A damsel of noble birth had been seduced by an official (Paramonarius, i.e., sacristan, or perhaps rather, steward) of the church, named likewise Ephraim. When pregnancy ensued and her frailty was detected, she at the instance of her paramour charged Ephraim the pious Catechumen as being the author of her shame. Her father laid the matter before the Bishop, who in much grief and consternation summoned his disciple to answer the accusation. The youth received it at first in amazed silence; but finally made answer, "Yea, I have sinned; but I entreat thy Holiness to pardon me." Even after this seeming acknowledgment of guilt, however, the Bishop was unconvinced, and prayed earnestly that the truth might be revealed to him: but in vain,--a more signal clearing was in store for the humble and blameless youth. When the child of shame was born, and the father of the frail damsel required him to undertake the charge of it, he repeated his seeming confession of guilt to the Bishop; he received the infant into his arms: he openly entered the church carrying it; and he besought the congregation with tears, saying, "Entreat for me, my brethen, that this sin be pardoned to me." After thus bearing for some days the burden of unmerited reproach, he perceived the great scandal caused to the people, and began to reflect that his meek acceptance of calumny was doing harm. On the following Sunday, therefore, after the Eucharist had been administered, he approached the Bishop in church in presence of the people, carrying the infant under his mantle, and obtained his permission to enter the bema (not the pulpit, but the raised sanctuary where the altar stood). Before the eyes of the astonished congregation, he produced the babe, held it up in his right hand, facing the altar, and cried aloud, "Child, I call on thee and adjure thee by the living God, who made heaven and earth and all that therein is, that thou confess and tell me truly, who is thy father?" The infant opened its mouth and said, "Ephraim the paramonarius." Having thus spoken, it died that same hour. The people and the Bishop received this miraculous vindication of the wrongfully accused with amazement and tears; the father of the sinful mother fell on his knees and cried for forgiveness; the true partner of her sin fled and was seen in Nisibis no more; Satan was confounded; and Ephraim was restored to more than all the favour and affection he enjoyed before.

http://www.synaxis.org/cf/volume36/ECF00007.htm
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 06:36:28 AM »

Thank you so much!  angel

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Tags: Saint  speaking infant  Miracle  slander 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: