OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 11:30:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: re christian radio stations, that is, protestant  (Read 2197 times) Average Rating: 0
nrse

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Act justly. Love tenderly. Walk humbly with God.

« on: August 19, 2011, 10:35:51 PM »

music has been a pillar of my life- not that i can even sing on key or play an instrument...but i have always been moved by music- it has always been a big part of me...i have discovered a wealth of beautiful, deep, moving music in Orthodoxy.....i have Ancient Radio on my iPhone...but on occasion i find i still enjoy listening to the evangelical music stations on the radio...some of the music is very encouraging and, after a long intense day of hospice work i can be lifted by the "exuberance" of the music of young people...*i stopped listening to the preaching, any preaching on the stations years ago...what are your thoughts?

thanks, georgiana

bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 11:05:26 PM »

I have a scarce few pop evangelical songs I still like from days gone by, but in general I've become rather put off by how shallow, sickly sentimental, and "Jesus-is-my-boyfriend"-like it has become. And an increasing number of pop evangelical songs really have nothing particularly Christian about them at all.

Many years ago I had occasion to speak with someone who worked on the production side of the Christian music business (I believe he was with Jennifer Knapp, but I don't remember exactly), and he said that most Christian music (not all, but most) is written solely to elicit an emotional response. The big boys actually do scientific studies to determine how music affects people psychologically, and work it into their music. The indies absorb the same trends and follow suit.

I don't think that means there is anything inherently bad about listening to that sort of music, but just realize that you are probably being emotionally manipulated; meanwhile Orthodox music is generally dispassionate. Whatever emotion there is flows from what is being expressed, not the combination of soaring notes, acoustic guitars, and bass.

But I do have a soft spot for old-timey, pre-pop music. Classic hymns are wonderful in my opinion—give me good Protestant organ music and I'm happy! Smiley

I would also be careful to avoid music that is theologically horrible. Some [perhaps unwittingly] have good parts. But there's also questionable or cringe-worthy ones. Music is a powerful teaching medium, a painless way to accomplish rote memorization. ("I don't listen to the words!" "Does that mean you don't hear them?") Most are not swayed that easily, but even creating a sense of sympathy for things can be problematic long term.

I find that pop evangelical music often focuses a lot on hopelessness and endless searching, which probably reflects the internal state of Protestantism today. Speaking generally, I would call this kind of music spiritual soda and fries (I couldn't even call it milk, really). Soda and fries are fine occasionally, but it's not something to consume frequently.

That having been said, I also have some issues with the concept of listening to proper Church music as entertainment, divorced from the divine services. The age of multimedia presents interesting possibilities. I suppose that evangelical pop music may be the modern version of folk music—whose theology, when expressed, wasn't policed either. So I don't know. It's a choice for the individual to make, but personally I don't find much value in evangelical pop music, much less secular pop music. I have always preferred a good symphony, or Church music that was never intended to be used liturgically (such as Rachmaninov's All Night Vigil).

Anyway, that's my bag of wind on this subject. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:24:46 PM by bogdan » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 11:08:13 PM »

There are at least eight Christian music stations within a few miles of each other, where I live. Some of them are owned by the same companies. You wind up with the same list of loud pop songs. Every once in a while, there's something good, but I have come to prefer talk programs. I wind up downloading lectures.  Smiley

I have an Internet radio at home. I like to tune in to some of the international stations, like Radio Piraeus from Greece. There are also Russian and Arabic Orthodox stations.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 11:15:11 PM »

music has been a pillar of my life- not that i can even sing on key or play an instrument...but i have always been moved by music- it has always been a big part of me...i have discovered a wealth of beautiful, deep, moving music in Orthodoxy.....i have Ancient Radio on my iPhone...but on occasion i find i still enjoy listening to the evangelical music stations on the radio...some of the music is very encouraging and, after a long intense day of hospice work i can be lifted by the "exuberance" of the music of young people...*i stopped listening to the preaching, any preaching on the stations years ago...what are your thoughts?

thanks, georgiana

I occasionally like to tune into those stations too - sometimes they are a welcome break from the usual jumble of talk radio and rock. If you're lucky enough to find a station with some old-fashioned gospel music, I agree that can really lift your spirits!  Smiley

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Ninjaly Awesome

Faith: Orthodox Catachumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »

I would also be careful to avoid music that is theologically horrible. Some [perhaps unwittingly] have good parts. But there's also questionable or cringe-worthy ones.

I'd also like to point out that Philips, Craig, and Dean are Oneness Pentecostal heretics. Back when I was a Protestant and heard about it I started changing the station every time I heard their songs come on the radio. As you can imagine, I found it really horrid that Christian radio stations had almost no discernment about what they played.

饥 渴 慕 义 的 人 有 福 了 ! 因 为 他 们 必 得 饱 足 。

馬 太 福 音 5:6
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 11:17:34 AM »

There are a couple of old-time fundamentalist stations in my area that I sometimes listen to, at least in part because they remind me of family members now gone.

The main Evangelical station in town I avoid like the plague because the music is mediocre at best and the hosts/news anchors seem to be obsessed with gays and Muslims. A different Evangelical station (one that constantly toots its own horn for being POSITIVE and ENCOURAGING) manages to be both too banal and too saccharine for me to devote much time to it. A local Christian college also has a station that plays some alternative music that I find OK, but mostly I listen to NPR in the hopes of hearing Rachmaninoff or Dvořák.

The local Catholic station on the AM band is a mixture of OK and bad. The music generally sounds like the Jesus People kidnapped a bunch of nuns in the 70s, but some of the programs ("meet the author" and one where a priest -- who recently died, actually -- talks about the 12 steps) are worth a listen if that kind of thing interests you. A few times a day you can hear Latin choral music.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:18:21 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 12:06:59 PM »

There are some great Orthodox Christian Contemporary music stations on the internet that have been good replacements for my grandchildren who enjoyed Christian radio. Just google Orthodox Christian Internet radio.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 12:11:44 PM »

Good Gospel music is a gift from heaven. I'm a big fan of Richard Smallwood.
nrse

Faith: Russian Orthodox

Act justly. Love tenderly. Walk humbly with God.

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 07:29:59 PM »

"great Orthodox Christian Contemporary music stations on the internet"

i did do that and bookmarked one so far- and thank you for that pointer....also i am on NPR alot as well as my own large library of classical and opera selections...and listen to audio books...

this has been very interesting...and enlightening!
thank you so much for the input...
DeeperFaith
Seeking a deeper knowledge of God

Faith: Christian

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »

I would also be careful to avoid music that is theologically horrible. Some [perhaps unwittingly] have good parts. But there's also questionable or cringe-worthy ones.

I'd also like to point out that Philips, Craig, and Dean are Oneness Pentecostal heretics. Back when I was a Protestant and heard about it I started changing the station every time I heard their songs come on the radio. As you can imagine, I found it really horrid that Christian radio stations had almost no discernment about what they played.

As a protestant-moving-toward-orthodoxy (I like to say I'm in between radio stations, haha), I can't listen to Christian radio stations. Between the saccarine-sweet banter and the theologically shallow songs, they stress me out more than listening to the heathen rock stations!
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 05:20:49 PM »

^ Same here. Mr. Ismi and I are at a point where we're almost tolerating Ke$ha (or however you spell her name) over that. But we generally listen to the rock stations.

I know that the CCM stations have the best intentions in the world, but I can't stand the "positive" radio stations. I was always told to be positive and my life would be better. Now, I get what they are saying, but these people take it to an all time-crazy level. Sugary sweet radio announcers, the same songs playing over and over (like Top 40, I suppose), and stressing an emphasis on POSITIVE, FAMILY FRIENDLY radio.

Don't know what I'm going to do when my children are born, but I hope they like Israeli pop music and symphonic metal. Or chants. Classical music. Nothing in between.

If you do get something out of it and you don't find it having an impact on your faith and outlook in a negative way, I don't think it's too bad to listen to the music. If I can listen to metal, I can probably listen to some CCM. And I still do.

I would not want to listen to the talk radio portion myself.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
neon_knights
High Elder

My political hero.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 05:22:54 PM »

I can't stand CCM. Im not big into radio either, unless its talk. I like to choose the music I listen to, so I'm more of a CD guy.
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with Evangelical music.  KLOVE is the major Christian radio station that comes into my city and I listen to it quite frequently.  Every now and then I'll hear some lyrics that wreak of heresy such as "all religion ever made out of me was a sinner with a stone, tied to a tree.."  as they sing about how they're falling in love with Jesus.  I don't let it bother me too much though, because I know error when I hear and see it and am not easily swayed.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
neon_knights
High Elder

My political hero.

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 10:10:56 PM »

I do like the 70s CCM though. Keith Green, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Phil Keaggy, all good stuff.
Dyhn

Faith: Inquirer ~ actively working towards catechumen

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 02:22:02 AM »

I won't listen to CCM either, 'it makes me want to stick sharp pencils in my eyes', to steal a phrase from Poppy. I do have a somewhat similar reaction. angel

~ Dyhn
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 02:25:37 AM »

I don't see how anyone listens to any radio or much music at all.

New folks in the lab today. Had to explain my no radio rule.

Silence.

As far as protestant songs and music. I got something coming up. Melodist reminded me of it. Need to find a decent example.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 07:35:44 AM »

I won't listen to CCM either, 'it makes me want to stick sharp pencils in my eyes', to steal a phrase from Poppy. I do have a somewhat similar reaction. angel

~ Dyhn
I used that phrase to describe one of my economic professors on RMP and got a lot of positive ratings for that. I think it's a great descriptor. Very Oedipal, no?

I reserve that for "Christian movies" nowadays. I used to live with a youth minister, and as much as he is a great guy, I would want to stick pencils in my eyes when he talked about how "inspiring" an absolutely trite, formulaic Christian movie was. Bleagh. (Yes, I have a total axe to grind with them. Can't you tell?)

Plus, what makes me laugh is that everyone at our old church recommended Fireproof to Mr. Ismi (who is a firefighter). I swear he is going to punch the next person who suggests it. ("Hey, are you a firefighter? You should totally watch Fireproof! What a great movie!")

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 10:35:33 AM »

^ Same here. Mr. Ismi and I are at a point where we're almost tolerating Ke$ha (or however you spell her name) over that. But we generally listen to the rock stations.

I know that the CCM stations have the best intentions in the world, but I can't stand the "positive" radio stations. I was always told to be positive and my life would be better. Now, I get what they are saying, but these people take it to an all time-crazy level. Sugary sweet radio announcers, the same songs playing over and over (like Top 40, I suppose), and stressing an emphasis on POSITIVE, FAMILY FRIENDLY radio.

Don't know what I'm going to do when my children are born, but I hope they like Israeli pop music and symphonic metal. Or chants. Classical music. Nothing in between.

If you do get something out of it and you don't find it having an impact on your faith and outlook in a negative way, I don't think it's too bad to listen to the music. If I can listen to metal, I can probably listen to some CCM. And I still do.

Totally agree. Can't stand to listen to "Christian" radio. I do like Ancient Faith Radio but mostly I like silence!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »

I have a two hour commute, portions driven in silence; and in the remaining time, I listen to Orthodox music, prayers, or chant that I download. I have listened to Cappella Romana's Liturgy recording hundreds of times over the years. At home, I enjoy OCN's Rudder stream.

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
DeeperFaith
Seeking a deeper knowledge of God

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 01:46:34 PM »

Totally agree. Can't stand to listen to "Christian" radio. I do like Ancient Faith Radio but mostly I like silence!

I work for a hospital system in the evenings, so on the nights I'm "off campus" I can listen to podcasts from AFR on my iPhone. I love it; I can get through almost a whole series in one shift. When I'm scheduled to be at the hospital, I can't have my earbuds in, so it's silence (or listening to doctors or patients talk. LOL)
brandb

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 05:28:45 PM »

I'm late, but what's up with all of the "I like silence." posts?  Huh
I would DIE without music.
And I'll listen to just about anything (music-wise, I hate talk-radio),
but if it *had* to be CCM I would have to pick 90's/early 2000's era
with DC Talk and such. This new stuff all sounds exactly the same.  Undecided
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 05:34:30 PM »

I'm late, but what's up with all of the "I like silence." posts?  Huh
I would DIE without music.
Heh, me too. But as I learn more about Orthodoxy, I am learning more about the value of silence in prayer (as opposed to just talking, and talking, and talking, like I used to) and meditation.

But you still can't rip my Zune away from me. I do a lot of transcribing work, and even after that, I still listen to music while doing the chores or walking. I know. It's sick.

--
--
brandb

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 10:30:12 PM »

Heh, me too. But as I learn more about Orthodoxy, I am learning more about the value of silence in prayer (as opposed to just talking, and talking, and talking, like I used to) and meditation.

True, true. I'm really introverted so I appreciated my quiet time (living w/ Mom & Dad I don't get much of it).
But yeah, I could never completely substitute that for music.   Cheesy
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 10:53:09 PM »

I LOATHE Protestant radio (I grew up Catholic). It's a totally foreign thing to me.

I listen to either a very good AM talk radio station in my city (none of the syndicated cr*p) that also carries my beloved Cubs, or I listen to NPR. I grew up on AM radio, so this is nothing new for me.

I can have a radio on my desk at work and one of the very few stations that comes in is my favorite AM station. So I'm a happy camper. Cheesy

For music, I listen on my iPod. Either classical (I love Bach's violin concertos) or country. I know, what contrasts! Some late 70s/80s, too.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:53:48 PM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 01:44:22 AM »

I cannot express by dislike of Protestant radio.  I went to a Protestant Church for a while when I was younger and hated the music because it was such "feel good" and "Jesus-is-my-boyfriend" as someone posted above. 

I LOVE Orthodoxy's music.  It's what first drew me into the Church.

I would take this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLioYdt8A5c

over this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8iwFiUaQ1M&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLB9582F0BFC8FDB7D

any day.

also, I must say:  Pentecostals seem to take the cake with distasteful music.  I can't resist the urge to re-post this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vd_C5KX_lk&feature=related
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:50:10 AM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
brandb

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 01:57:48 AM »

^Pentecostals? Please. Try Charismatics. You've not lived until you've seen
people diving off the altar during worship. It's insane.  Tongue

Though I don't usually think of Third Day when I think of "feel-good-cheesy" Christian
music...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:59:51 AM by brandb » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 09:14:23 AM »

Though I don't usually think of Third Day when I think of "feel-good-cheesy" Christian
music...
It's the first thing I think of.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 09:23:39 AM »

music...

Diving?  Huh I hope they wear helmets.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
brandb

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 09:42:39 AM »

Nope.  Grin Headfirst, no less. Singing about "Jumping in the River!"   Undecided
britgirl
I'm a smarmy college student.

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Antiochian?

إسمي عائشة وأنا طالبة في جامعة :)

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 12:17:42 PM »

music...
brandb, I know exactly what you're talking about! I remember when my mother would drag us to a Charismatic church...
I've seen a woman "having the Devil cast out" by a pastor placing both hands on her head, then pushing her back as he released her (And this was NOT an exorcism, either--anyone with "money troubles" went up to the front to be anointed and/or have "the Devil cast out"). She was on a stage four feet above the ground and fell backward, smacking her head on the concrete floor below. You could hear the smack throughout the entire sanctuary. The pastor's reaction: "Well, the devil won't be back to mess with her!"
Everyone in the audience clapped.
The woman insisted she was okay, but I had my doubts.

This is what I think of when I see over the top cheese: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flvWsEPc7A0&feature=fvst
This song gets on my nerves. I hear it all the time on my local Christian radio station.

"Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established." - Proverbs 16:3

"There never was a good war or a bad peace." --Ben Franklin

يا ربّ ارحم

It ain't me talking fast, it's just you listening slow.

International Relations: Middle East/Africa; Muslim Studies (B.A. 2014)
brandb

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »

This is what I think of when I see over the top cheese: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flvWsEPc7A0&feature=fvst
This song gets on my nerves. I hear it all the time on my local Christian radio station.

We might be kindred spirits. I DESPISE that song. Wink
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 04:08:43 PM »

You have to admit that the song is fairly catchy, if not exactly worth a penny.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2011, 04:10:05 PM »

I cannot express by dislike of Protestant radio.  I went to a Protestant Church for a while when I was younger and hated the music because it was such "feel good" and "Jesus-is-my-boyfriend" as someone posted above. 

I LOVE Orthodoxy's music.  It's what first drew me into the Church.

I would take this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLioYdt8A5c

over this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8iwFiUaQ1M&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLB9582F0BFC8FDB7D

any day.

also, I must say:  Pentecostals seem to take the cake with distasteful music.  I can't resist the urge to re-post this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vd_C5KX_lk&feature=related

I couldn't listen past the 27 second mark on the second video.  I feel somehow violated, having been exposed to that.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
brandb

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 04:21:40 PM »

You have to admit that the song is fairly catchy, if not exactly worth a penny.

But that's how it gets stuck in my head. Sad
Stepan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 10:35:55 AM »

In spite of their heretical views of the Trinity, Pentecostals have a hard time calling a spade a spade. I think because they also speak in "tongues", calling Oneness Pentecostals out as holding to heretical teaching would indict them as well.
Stepan

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2011, 10:42:49 AM »

The main Evangelical station in town I avoid like the plague because the music is mediocre at best and the hosts/news anchors seem to be obsessed with gays and Muslims. A different Evangelical station (one that constantly toots its own horn for being POSITIVE and ENCOURAGING)

Oh yes, and they positively encourage you to give them money MULTIPLE times a year and the way they go about doing that is simply offensive.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:43:06 AM by Stepan » Logged
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2011, 10:49:28 AM »

My (cradle) priest will actually tell people not to listen to the Protestant "nonsense" if they happen to mention it to him. He tells them to listen to AFR podcasts. But for those with older cars and without the capability to plug their iPods into car stereo (and the FM transponders don't work well in our area), he tells them they're better off listening to the news!
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2011, 11:27:27 AM »

My (cradle) priest will actually tell people not to listen to the Protestant "nonsense" if they happen to mention it to him. He tells them to listen to AFR podcasts. But for those with older cars and without the capability to plug their iPods into car stereo (and the FM transponders don't work well in our area), he tells them they're better off listening to the news!

Hmmm, well, there's an amazing old-fashioned gospel station in our area that I've been tuning into from time to time. I'd much rather hear "The Old Rugged Cross" sung by a south L.A. gospel choir than some of the news headlines I've heard recently.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »

I havent read the whole discussion, but I dont see anything wrong with listening to those stations.  I personally dont, mainly just because I dont like the style of music.  Most of the songs are just very shallow and generic. I guess there isnt too much that Orthodox would just disagree with since they dont go too in depth theologically.  Maybe Im wrong though...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Ninjaly Awesome

Faith: Orthodox Catachumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 02:19:21 PM »

Now THIS is terrible Christian music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Yl65zn_tudI

Also, for those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NOZU2iPA8
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:20:53 PM by Ninjaly Awesome » Logged

饥 渴 慕 义 的 人 有 福 了 ! 因 为 他 们 必 得 饱 足 。

馬 太 福 音 5:6
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2011, 02:28:53 PM »

Now THIS is terrible Christian music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Yl65zn_tudI

Also, for those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NOZU2iPA8

SO powerful!!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Stepan

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »

Two thumbs up for symphonic metal Smiley
Stepan

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2011, 03:58:53 PM »

I havent read the whole discussion, but I dont see anything wrong with listening to those stations.  I personally dont, mainly just because I dont like the style of music.  Most of the songs are just very shallow and generic. I guess there isnt too much that Orthodox would just disagree with since they dont go too in depth theologically.  Maybe Im wrong though...

I personally don't listen to those types of stations either but mostly because my musical tastes aren't all hat mainstream
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 04:09:55 PM »

Stand up, Stand up for Jesus!

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »

I personally don't listen to those types of stations either but mostly because my musical tastes aren't all hat mainstream

Exactly. I do contract music for a lot of local Protestant churches, so I make part of my living playing these songs. I love what I do, but im as close to orthodox as you can get without actually being orthodox. From that perspective, I havent notice anything in particular that bothers me about the songs. Other than the genre just isn't my style... Ha.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: