OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:35:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptized again?  (Read 309 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: September 17, 2011, 11:28:28 PM »

Im asking this because Ive heard/read different things in different places, but if I were to become Orthodox, would I have to be baptized again even though I was baptized in a Protestant church? Or would I just need to be Chrismated?

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 11:46:37 PM »

Im asking this because Ive heard/read different things in different places, but if I were to become Orthodox, would I have to be baptized again even though I was baptized in a Protestant church? Or would I just need to be Chrismated?

It depends on which Orthodox jurisdiction, as well as the guidelines set down by your bishop, as well as which Protestant body, and if you were baptized in the name of the Trinity or not. Your bishop/priest make the decision, not some hoo-hahs on an internet forum. We can tell you what MIGHT happen, but your bishop/priest make the final decision.

This really is an Ask Your Priest question.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:47:43 PM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:49:52 PM »

Well you're never technically baptized "again." The Orthodox Church recognizes only one baptism for the remission of sins. What you will find is that some bishops will only chrismate individuals who have had a Trinitarian baptism. That is not a recognition of the heterodox baptism on it's on right. Rather, it is saying that Orthodox chrismation completes and fills the previous heterodox baptism with grace.

Any Orthodox bishop is well within his right to baptize anyone wishing to be received into the Church who has not received an Orthodox baptism. That being said, what happens to you depends on the practice of the particular jurisdiction into which you are received and the practice of the bishop.  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:50:49 PM by Paisius » Logged

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Tags: rebaptism baptism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: