OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 04:27:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-Orthodox baptism  (Read 836 times) Average Rating: 0
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« on: September 15, 2011, 09:51:55 PM »

I have an interesting question. Would it be possible for a mother who is not Orthodox to have their infant baptized Orthodox if they have an Orthodox godparent?
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 09:52:56 PM »

You could find a priest to do it, if that's what you mean. Is it proper? Probably not, if the kid isn't going to be raised Orthodox.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:23:31 PM »

What's the point in baptizing a kid in the Orthodox Church, if he won't be raised Orthodox? Especially if neither parent is Orthodox.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:48:56 PM »

What's the point in baptizing a kid in the Orthodox Church, if he won't be raised Orthodox? Especially if neither parent is Orthodox.

Perhaps some parents like to hedge their bets when it comes to God...

Large Marge sent me...
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 11:18:33 PM »

Would it be possible for a mother who is not Orthodox to have their infant baptized Orthodox if they have an Orthodox godparent?

If you've got the money, many priests have the time.
Paisius
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 11:25:18 PM »

I suppose my question should have been is it appropriate/proper, not just possible.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:25:47 PM by Paisius » Logged
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 12:20:56 AM »

What if a child is born while parents are catechumens?  Just a curious thought that this thread raised...
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 01:38:01 AM »

What if a child is born while parents are catechumens?  Just a curious thought that this thread raised...

I would assume, barring an emergency medical situation, that the household would be baptized together in the ancient custom.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 03:12:08 AM »

It may seem strange because of the question as to why a non-Orthodox parent would desire to have their infant baptised in the Orthodox Church, but it is my understanding that the parents canonical standing with the church (or lack of standing as in the question in this topic) is not an issue with regard to an infant candidate's proposed Baptism, Chrismation, and first Holy Communion.  The Godparent would be responsible to have the child raised in the church.  On what grounds would the church reject the admission of an innocent child's enrollment in the Book of Life and the path to eternal salvation?

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 08:19:51 AM »

On what grounds would the church reject the admission of an innocent child's enrollment in the Book of Life and the path to eternal salvation?

This is true, I have to admit. If not baptized in the Orthodox Church and the child died, it'd go straight to hell. Better safe than sorry.

Large Marge sent me...
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 08:50:27 AM »

It may seem strange because of the question as to why a non-Orthodox parent would desire to have their infant baptised in the Orthodox Church, but it is my understanding that the parents canonical standing with the church (or lack of standing as in the question in this topic) is not an issue with regard to an infant candidate's proposed Baptism, Chrismation, and first Holy Communion.  The Godparent would be responsible to have the child raised in the church.  On what grounds would the church reject the admission of an innocent child's enrollment in the Book of Life and the path to eternal salvation?
That's what I've been told, as I asked my priest what would happen if I was to give birth while still in my catechumenate period and wanted the child baptized. But I don't know if that's because we are catechumens or if that is a general rule across the board.

Huh The parents should optimally be Orthodox, but I don't see the logic behind denying the child the baptism, especially if he or she has Orthodox grandparents, relatives, or sponsors that will be there to guide him/her in his life as an Orthodox Christian. The baptism is all about the CHILD.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 09:44:19 AM »

I don't think the Church would deny baptism to the child.  It would have to have Orthodox godparents, and it would be on them to raise this child Orthodox, if the parents failed.

Personally, I also wouldn't "wait" until the whole household is ready.  Why wait?

I was a premature baby and therefore, was baptized on Day 3 of life.  It was the best thing my mother ever did for me!  (....and she's done many wonderful things for me.)

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 02:25:32 PM »

Well, a good reason to wait until the family is received would be because plenty of people stop coming to church during their catechumenate for different reasons. My priest now has people wait a year because too many were getting baptized and then would get burned out or disinterested in a few months after the sparks settled down. If we are specifically talking about parents that are waiting to be received, then it makes perfect sense to have the household baptized together. If the child's life is in danger before that time comes, anyone can baptized the kid in an emergency. It doesn't matter if the kid has a godparent if the parents decide to leave Orthodoxy and take their children with them.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »

If not baptized in the Orthodox Church and the child died, it'd go straight to hell. Better safe than sorry.

Is that a known fact or just a surmise on the part of the Orthodox Church?

And do all Orthodox believe this, or just some?  IOW, is it essential to being fully Orthodox that one accept this as a fact?

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 03:21:43 PM »

If not baptized in the Orthodox Church and the child died, it'd go straight to hell. Better safe than sorry.

And do all Orthodox believe this, or just some?  IOW, is it essential to being fully Orthodox that one accept this as a fact?

I apologize, I was in something of a bad mood this morning. The above was meant to be a sarcastic response. I think the opposite is true, so reading stuff about "enrollment in the Book of Life and the path to eternal salvation" just seemed very over the top to me. And I responded poorly.

Large Marge sent me...
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 03:27:17 PM »

One can believe that baptism is salvific and essential and reject the idea that all unbaptized infants burn in hell absolutely and without question.  What happens after death is a great mystery.

I apologize, I was in something of a bad mood this morning. The above was meant to be a sarcastic response. I think the opposite is true, so reading stuff about "enrollment in the Book of Life and the path to eternal salvation" just seemed very over the top to me. And I responded poorly.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 03:29:37 PM »

One can believe that baptism is salvific and essential and reject the idea that all unbaptized infants burn in hell absolutely and without question.  What happens after death is a great mystery.

Yep.

Large Marge sent me...
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »

So, would a child be churched if born while its parents were still catechumen, or would it simply be considered a very young inquirer?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: