OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 03:25:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you supposed to venerate your icons?  (Read 784 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« on: September 15, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »

Or just pray toward them? Because I got one and was venerating it...but when looking at it from a certain angle the "residue" was very visible. I thought it wasn't very sanitary.

Maybe I was venerating it too much. Maybe I'm kissing it incorrectly. Maybe you're supposed to clean it regularly. Maybe you're not actually supposed to venerate your icons, just the ones in Church.

So, what is the answer? Thanks in advance.  Smiley

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:07:06 PM »

Or just pray toward them? Because I got one and was venerating it...but when looking at it from a certain angle the "residue" was very visible. I thought it wasn't very sanitary.

Maybe I was venerating it too much. Maybe I'm kissing it incorrectly. Maybe you're supposed to clean it regularly. Maybe you're not actually supposed to venerate your icons, just the ones in Church.

So, what is the answer? Thanks in advance.  Smiley

Why would you have icons at home, and NOT venerate them? Huh

Yes, of course, I kiss my icons at the end of my morning and evening prayers.

My icons are on the top of a low bookcase in my living room. When I dust the furniture, I take all my icons off the top of bookcase, wipe them with a microfiber cloth, wipe the top of the bookcase, and then replace everything.

Since you're a guy, one might inquire about your usual state of housekeeping? Wink Grin
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:07:39 PM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:09:22 PM »

The ones in church have a ton of residue on them, too! (Until the priest cleans it, I suppose) It's called lipstick.*

Just clean them if you can and continue venerating them. You can't go wrong with doing that.

*Women, I urge you to look into lip stains with a coat of clear lip balm on top. The icons will look nice and Father won't look like an adulterer with all of the lip prints on his hand.

I'm sure most of you have, but the women at my church sure haven't!  laugh

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:16:50 PM »

Or you could just not put stuff on your lips before church. Radical concept, I know.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:18:41 PM »

Or you could just not put stuff on your lips before church. Radical concept, I know.
I know. But if they insist, there's a way to put on something subtle on that will not get on the icons. The markers do not come off!

(I go to a Greek church, what can I say? They're all dolled to the nines there. I feel schlumpy, and even I dress up a bit.)

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 10:32:31 PM »

You just need to stop giving the Theotokos and Christ sloppy kisses.

Or do you happen to have an icon of St. Kassiani the beautiful monastic?   Cheesy

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 12:18:48 AM »

Selam lekulekemu

NicholasMyra, after reading you mentioning an icon of st. kassiani the beautiful monastic, I was intrigued as to who she was, so I googled her, and I am so moved by her life and what she has come to mean for many women today I felt  like I need to thank you for mentioning her name. what a beautiful soul indeed! her hymn  that i found was moving beyond words.

'Sensing Thy divinity, O Lord, a woman of many sins takes it upon herself to become a myrrh-bearer, And in deep mourning brings before Thee fragrant oil in anticipation of Thy burial; crying: "Woe to me! For night is unto me, oestrus of lechery, a dark and moonless eros of sin. Receive the wellsprings of my tears, O Thou who gatherest the waters of the oceans into clouds. Bend to me, to the sorrows of my heart, O Thou who bendedst down the heavens in Thy ineffable self-emptying. I will kiss Thine immaculate feet and dry them with the locks of my hair; Those very feet whose sound Eve heard at dusk in Paradise and hid herself in fear. Who shall reckon the multitude of my sins, or the abysses of Thy judgment, O Saviour of my soul? Do not ignore Thy handmaiden, O Thou whose mercy is endless."
thank you  Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 12:30:05 AM »

Selam lekulekemu

NicholasMyra, after reading you mentioning an icon of st. kassiani the beautiful monastic, I was intrigued as to who she was, so I googled her, and I am so moved by her life and what she has come to mean for many women today I felt  like I need to thank you for mentioning her name. what a beautiful soul indeed! her hymn  that i found was moving beyond words.

'Sensing Thy divinity, O Lord, a woman of many sins takes it upon herself to become a myrrh-bearer, And in deep mourning brings before Thee fragrant oil in anticipation of Thy burial; crying: "Woe to me! For night is unto me, oestrus of lechery, a dark and moonless eros of sin. Receive the wellsprings of my tears, O Thou who gatherest the waters of the oceans into clouds. Bend to me, to the sorrows of my heart, O Thou who bendedst down the heavens in Thy ineffable self-emptying. I will kiss Thine immaculate feet and dry them with the locks of my hair; Those very feet whose sound Eve heard at dusk in Paradise and hid herself in fear. Who shall reckon the multitude of my sins, or the abysses of Thy judgment, O Saviour of my soul? Do not ignore Thy handmaiden, O Thou whose mercy is endless."
thank you  Smiley
You're welcome! I'm quite glad that she was so moving to you. If you haven't encountered it already, here is an English recitation of her hymn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDz6zmwEqJQ
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:30:15 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 12:53:12 AM »

Thank you So Very Much! this is even more beautiful when its sung like this! A hymn of Such Love! Thank you again.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 03:23:59 AM »

Smiley

LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 07:31:59 AM »

St Kassiane was also a fearless and outspoken defender of icons, a friend of St Theodore the Studite, and the only woman whose hymns have become a permanent part of the liturgical cycle. Quite an achievement for a woman of her era, and an abbess at that, where a woman associated with music was regarded as little better than a prostitute.

She had quite a sharp tongue as well, as the future emperor Theophilus found out during the parade of prospective brides picked out for him (Kassiane "lost" to the quiet Theodora). I hate silence, when it is time to speak is a typical saying of hers.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 07:44:05 AM »

She will hopefully be my patron saint! Smiley She's quite an inspiration.

--
--
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 07:48:18 AM »

She will hopefully be my patron saint! Smiley She's quite an inspiration.

She really was quite a lady. PM me if you'd like more information on her.  Smiley
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 07:51:55 AM »

Icon veneration is a part of worship of Orthodox Christians, per the 7th Ecumenical Synod, drawing us closer to the "prototype" of what of who is depicted. 

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 06:15:33 PM »

You just need to stop giving the Theotokos and Christ sloppy kisses.
Either that or learn how to clean saliva off of icons properly.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 06:17:53 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: