OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 09:23:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Believers  (Read 1472 times) Average Rating: 0
Michaelj

OC.net

« on: July 28, 2004, 07:38:24 AM »

Hi,

I am an Orthodox (Russian Old Rite) Christian living in Spain. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good sites with information regarding the Old Rite (Belokrinitsa) church that are in English?

Also, does anyone know of any Slavonic Churches within or near Spain. I currently go to the Greek Arch. here which is great but I would love to have a full service in Old Church Slavonic.

Cheers,

Mike

Dios es mi Esperanza, Cristo es mi Refugio, el Espiritu Santo mi Protección.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 10:22:54 AM »

Mike:

There is an 'Old Believers' parish here in the U.S. that is now part of ROCOR but continues to adhere to the 'Old Believer' Rites and practice.

Here are some websites with some beautiful pictures and a history of this wonderful parish

http://www.churchofthenativity.net/

http://www.roca.org/OA/119/119n.htm

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
4Truth

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 10:36:36 AM »

For some interesting articles and photographs of the Old Believers in Alaska, go to http://www.google.com and type this search:

(Nikolaevsk OR Vosnesensky) Alaska "Old Believer"

4Truth
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 11:33:04 AM »

Being in Spain, I think you're lucky to have ANY Orthodox parish around.  Of course, what do I know of the Orthodox in Spain - I've never been there, but would love to visit sometime.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 11:54:59 AM »

Michaelj,
I will look up the email address of an archimandrite with whom I 'converse' periodically and PM it to you. I know he loves Spain (as do I) and  travels there every year or two (as I wish I could) intending  "one day" to permanently locate there. I am sure he can help you. (His email's on my home 'puter).
Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
4Truth

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 02:54:41 PM »

Michael,

Within the Moscow Patriarchate, the Archbishop of Korsun has administrative jurisdiction over Spain.  There is a church in Barcelona (Holy Annunciation, I think) (?).  

Also, the Orthodox Church in Poland has parishes in Spain, but I have not yet discovered the locations.  As a Slavic church, I would imagine that their services would be in Slavonic.  

Are you attending the Portuguese-Greek church in Madrid or in Barcelona?  If Barcelona, then perhaps my first suggestion might work for you.  

Hope you can locate what you want/need!

4Truth
Michaelj

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 05:16:40 AM »

Thank you everyone for your help.
4Truth I didn't realise there was a Portuguese-Greek church in Madrid. (Unless it's the one I attend.. but 'portuguese???')

When I go to Barcelona I will definitely go to the Church you mentioned. I was aware of the Korsun jurisdiction (based in Enismore Gardens London) but had no idea there was a Polish Church in Spain.

Cheers all,

Mike

Dios es mi Esperanza, Cristo es mi Refugio, el Espiritu Santo mi Protección.
Tags: Old Believers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: